Lead free bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
Well after getting set with some 270 grain Speer deep curls sighted in and happy I find one of the places I am going to hunt is lead free shotgun and muzzleloader. So I cast about to find little in stock though I found two possibilities;
Traditions Smackdown Bleed Muzzleloading Bullet 50 Caliber Sabot with 45 Caliber 170 Grain Bullet Pack of 15
and these

CUTTING EDGE BULLETS 50cal (.451) 250g MUZ BULLET MAXIMUS HP SBT 12b

This hunt is for feral hogs on a National Wildlife reserve in north Texas, apparently it has been over run by greenies. Any experience or preference between these two bullets?

Last edited:
Also look at the 270g copper Federal BOR-Lock and Hornady Monoflex

Take a real hard look at these!

Lehigh Defense .451x230CH-HP

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

Lehigh-451x230-BH.jpg

I notice these soft copper hollow points will most likely need a special tip to load them without damage. Where would I get one? I would like to use the TEZ's but they seem out of stock at least where I was looking.

I notice these soft copper hollow points will most likely need a special tip to load them without damage. Where would I get one? I would like to use the TEZ's but they seem out of stock at least where I was looking.
Barnes, hornady, and others make the ramrod tips. Where did you look for bullets.

Oddly the Traditions "Bleed" bullet seems to be a hollow cup partially filled with compressed metal.

Used and trusted by Mark, Terry, and the team of Drury Outdoors, the Smackdown® Bleed™ is a revolutionary bullet. This lead-free bullet features a copper jacket and a compressed metal powdered core which unleashes its’ fury upon impact by devastating soft tissue. These lead free, California-compliant bullets are better for the environment and sure to please health-conscious hunters. The SMACKDOWN® Bleed™ bullets also provide lower recoil which just adds to the benefits of this bullet. This accurate, hard-hitting bullet is one of the many reasons many hunters are becoming a fan of the Smackdown® Bleed™ Bullet.

The compressed metal powdered core? So this just flies apart when the bullet hits? Does "unleashes it's fury mean spreading metal particles through the eating parts? How is this sure to please "health conscious hunters"?

This year for the same hunt I am going to use the Barnes 250 EZ. Just ordered some. Last year an uscheduled surgery caused me to miss it.

I also ordered some of the 250 grain Monoflex bullets. Shoot em both and see which the rifle likes best. At least there are bullets out there to buy this year.

Back