Lead melting pot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think ive not been letting my pot heat up all the way. This temp gauge is supposed to be accurate to +/- 0.1 degree. I will try some different heat settings and see what happens and what the temp is. These are some of the better looking bullets ive cast. Out of a Lee 2 cav 200grain mold too. I got 20 keepers out of 26 cast. Of the 6 i sent 4 were not solid when i opened the mold and 2 had finning up under the sprue plate, I had it too loose. These are for 45colt bp loads.

Last edited:
I start my mould on the hot plate while I’m heating the lead up, if I’m in a hurry, I’ll use the mapp gas torch, usually only while loading ingots though. Most of the time I just find something else to do for a few minutes.
I do check in on it periodically though because I have drained dang near a half a pot when the spout was leaking as it got hot and liquefied. I walked back in to a pretty steady stream pouring out of it. Probably best to not leave it until it’s hot, and then only long enough to hit the restroom or something like that.
Mine is also a Lee bottom pour 120 volt.
Lol. That happened to me last night. I was loading some 45colts and forgot i had turned it on. Not a stream but it must have leaked pretty good right up to where it blocked off the spout.
IMG_20210114_185326_01.jpg

Latest posts

Back