Leapers UTG 2-7 × 32 Handgun Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Would one of those members that owns one of these scopes please measure the diameter of the ocular bell for me.

I have been spitballing an idea about a flintlock version of my Javelina stocked Optima V2 pistol with a Rice, 18" long, octagon-round, .62 caliber barrel with Forsyth rifling in a 1:72" twist. And, have Levi Reed at LR Customs make up a special .62 caliber, patched ball version of the MZ REX2 muzzle brake to help with the recoil from those big powder charges.

Because the breech will need to be quite large in diameter to allow for 150-175 grain powder charges, it will be possible to have Dove's Custom Guns machine integral Talley scope ring bases into the top flat of the octagonal breech.

That being the case, I would want to have the breech as large as possible to allow for clearance between the ocular bell of the scope, and the hammer of the flintlock.

Thus, the request for the diameter of the ocular bell of the Leapers UTG handgun scope.

Thanks

As much as I have been floating all kinds of ideas for rifles lately, I think it would be a wise choice to stick with big bore hunting pistols because of the osteoarthritis in both of my shoulders.

For small game, perhaps a smoothbore pistol. With the Javelina two-handed stocks, of course.

Maybe a .25 caliber patched ball Javelina pistol. Now that would be a great challenge!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The scopes come with flip-up dust covers so I measured with and without. 1-15/16 with the cover in place and 1-3/4" without.....give or take a 1/32 one way or the other for my wonderful eyesight.

With an 18" barrel and 150-175 grains of powder you'll be putting a lot of unburned powder on the ground, especially pushing patched round balls.

I think a .40 cal fast twist for bore riders would be a fun pistol built on the Optima frame.

When Doc built the first prototype Javelina inline pistols back in the 90's, he tested the 14" barreled one with one of his slip-fit, 600 grain, .50 caliber White bullets. This was with a stout load of PyrodexP.

You have to understand that a Doc White Javelina pistol is unlike any other muzzleloading, or centerfire, pistol that you've ever seen.

The one piece stock is designed to be shot with both hands held out in front of the shooters body, similar to a Weaver stance, but with the weak hand PUSHING against the rear face of the stubby pistol grip that extends downwards from the bottom of the forearm.

The trigger hand PULLS rearwards against the main pistol grip.

A single point tactical sling with steel ParaClips is attached to the bottom of the main pistol grip's flush-mounted, push button sling swivel base via a push button D-loop sling swivel.

The sling is worn across the strong arm's shoulder blade, and adjusted for a tight fit when both arms are extended out in front of the body holding the pistol with the push/pull motion.

This creates an incredibly strong aiming & support system that can only be matched by a rifle with a proper shooting sling.

It allows a shooter to handle recoil that ordinarily would not be possible with two hands held wrapped around one another in a Weaver stance.

Additionally, I have got Doc inletting a brass, Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Gunsmith Adapter, forward of the Javelina pistol grip on the forearm. This adapter will be filed flush. It has a neodymium magnet imbedded in the bottom of its cavity.

This will allow me to attach a Spartan Precision Equipment Davros ball head & a Really Right Stuff, carbon fiber monopod to the pistol for further support. If, and when, time allows.

In addition, the MX REX2 muzzle brake will moderate the recoil down to a very tolerable level.

Between the stock design, the tactical sling, and the muzzle brake, I am confident that a 175 grain powder charge, should the barrel require such a large charge, will be easily handled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bsharp over at ALR is shooting 125 grains of ffg Swiss in his Rice, .62 caliber Forsyth rifled, rifle barrel with a 104" rate of twist.

With pretty decent accuracy.

I mention this because a 1:72 twist is NOT GOING to require powder charges nearly as stout as the slower 1:84", 1:95:, & 1:104" twists will.

I just got off the phone with Jason at Rice. We discussed a carbine-length, .62 caliber, Forsyth rifled barrel.

After some back and forth, he mentioned a French Calvary Carbine, swamped octagon barrel profile that he had in his computer. At the end of our discussion, he agreed to look at my drawing for a 20" long barrel. Two inches longer than I really wanted it, but you gotta go with the experts.

The breech would be 1.250" oçtagon***tapering to the round transition where there would be a set of wedding bands***again tapering to the round waist***and flaring out to a 1" round muzzle.

He also agreed to CNC machine his proprietary flint, hooked breech plug with powder chamber, & matching tang/face plate to fit the 1.250" octagonal breech.

No idea what the final cost might be, but I am guessing about $700.00

Back