Learn me something!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickelGL

Reaction score
So got my new .50 I bullet mold in yesterday. Today I had to play with it. I new to casting but have cast lee reals without much difficulty. Problem I have is wrinkles. What am I doing wrong ?

Attachments

• 0335E35B-86D2-4C5D-BD5B-FA137F3B726B.jpeg
    0335E35B-86D2-4C5D-BD5B-FA137F3B726B.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 22
So got my new .50 I bullet mold in yesterday. Today I had to play with it. I new to casting but have cast lee reals without much difficulty. Problem I have is wrinkles. What am I doing wrong ?
Not hot enough. Either let you melter heat up longer or preheat your mold more. But you're def not getting hot enough. The REAL is aluminum so it'll het up qwik. But the Accurate is probly iron so it needs longer to warm up.

Actually my accurate is aluminum. Long story short pot was at highest setting mold was pre heated and threw probably 100 (or more) slugs and 75 of those looked like the one pictured. So I venture so say the mold was hot enough. I tried running faster slower and throwing 1 instead of 2 bullets nothing seemed to change

Actually my accurate is aluminum. Long story short pot was at highest setting mold was pre heated and threw probably 100 (or more) slugs and 75 of those looked like the one pictured. So I venture so say the mold was hot enough. I tried running faster slower and throwing 1 instead of 2 bullets nothing seemed to change
What do you clean your molds with before a session?

I used to get wrinkles with a oily mold , scrub with dish detergent (dawn) and as long as your in the kitchen put the mold on the stove till hot/dry .Then go out and throw mold on the hot plate you have { right} and then start casting ,I crank it up when casting pure and compression casting will get you sharp bases/edges /Ed

Try taking a candle and sm.oke the mold. it should look black when properly smoked then pour at 750 degrees that should solve your problem

I drilled out my nozzle a little. But waiting for the lead to get really hot helped me get rid of my wrinkles.
Well I had the pot on its highest setting and towards the end of the session some bullets were frosty leading to me believing I was to hot

I have had frosted alloyed lead bullets from too much heat, but I can't recall having frosted 100% lead bullets. Get your rhythm right and the wrinkles will disappear. Hot, fast, and smooth. Keep casting. You've got this!

ADK Bigfoot

Well I had the pot on its highest setting and towards the end of the session some bullets were frosty leading to me believing I was to hot
Maybe cause your pot was running low ,a balance on temp needs consistent adjustment lead supply/versus heat will make casting a lot easier with less throw backs/Ed

You usually have to cast several bullets to heat the mold up. A cold mold lets them set up too quick. I just drop them back into the pot until my mold gets hot enough.

Back