Leaving gun dirty with BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dirty gun/rifle whether it be bp or modern gets clean within 24 hours. I can't leave it longer probably due to ocd. It will constantly be in the back of my mind until it's clean and in the safe.

When I clean I clean as much as possible try to get it back to factory new. As far as black powder in the CVA wolf I haven't noticed much of a deviation going from a freshly cleaned barrel to a fouled one after multiple shots.

That's just my personal experience. Certainly not enough difference when dealing with deer moa. I know that's a thing and your mileage may vary.

Salts cause corrosion water washes away salt.

Hmmm. I have a fairly new green river custom match barrel that is stainless. Went hunting, shot deer. Came home. It was very late long drive and I was very tired. Started to clean rifle realized I was out of hoppies and gun oil. So I took a wet patch of tap water and cleaned the bore. Was told blackhorn was none corrosive. Western advertising said that when it first came out. Figured barrel was stainless and wouldn't rust so no worries right? Put everything up went to bed. 3 days latter I was driving by store and picked up cleaning supplies. Went home took rifle out of case. Wow! The bore was completely covered up white. Thought what the heck! Cleaned it. The bore is now permanently filled with white spots. Looks like it's speckled with white poke a dots. Bore scope reveals they look like snow flakes. I doubt I could sell it now. Still shoots good. Called Western. Was told bh209 is non corrosive. Told them my experience. I was told . Well when it turns to fouling if it gets moisture mixed with it. Even really humid air it can and does create 2 different kinds of acids. Don't remember the names of them. So I always clean mine and make sure I have supplies on hand. I had a very bad experience with it. I'm told by others that they left there gun dirty all season with no corrosive problems. I haven't bore scoped the barrel of there guns so I just say I haven't been that lucky. If u can keep moisture out r off it maybe the fouling is non corrosive. I'm cleaning mine soon as I can. DON'T USE WATER! Western said use there BH209 solvent. R Hoppe's r windex. Yep windex. Then light coat of oil. They all have either ammonia cerosecne r something in them that neutralizes the 2 different acids. The light oil neutralizes the ammonia. Really bugs me when I look at the bore on that rifles. Tried everything from 40 x and other bore polish to lemon juice and battery acid neutralizer from auto parts store. Nothing takes it out. Wish I'd of just left it filthy and went to bed. Atleast I'd of got some more sleep.

Hmmm. I have a fairly new green river custom match barrel that is stainless. Went hunting, shot deer. Came home. It was very late long drive and I was very tired. Started to clean rifle realized I was out of hoppies and gun oil. So I took a wet patch of tap water and cleaned the bore. Was told blackhorn was none corrosive. Western advertising said that when it first came out. Figured barrel was stainless and wouldn't rust so no worries right? Put everything up went to bed. 3 days latter I was driving by store and picked up cleaning supplies. Went home took rifle out of case. Wow! The bore was completely covered up white. Thought what the heck! Cleaned it. The bore is now permanently filled with white spots. Looks like it's speckled with white poke a dots. Bore scope reveals they look like snow flakes. I doubt I could sell it now. Still shoots good. Called Western. Was told bh209 is non corrosive. Told them my experience. I was told . Well when it turns to fouling if it gets moisture mixed with it. Even really humid air it can and does create 2 different kinds of acids. Don't remember the names of them. So I always clean mine and make sure I have supplies on hand. I had a very bad experience with it. I'm told by others that they left there gun dirty all season with no corrosive problems. I haven't bore scoped the barrel of there guns so I just say I haven't been that lucky. If u can keep moisture out r off it maybe the fouling is non corrosive. I'm cleaning mine soon as I can. DON'T USE WATER! Western said use there BH209 solvent. R Hoppe's r windex. Yep windex. Then light coat of oil. They all have either ammonia cerosecne r something in them that neutralizes the 2 different acids. The light oil neutralizes the ammonia. Really bugs me when I look at the bore on that rifles. Tried everything from 40 x and other bore polish to lemon juice and battery acid neutralizer from auto parts store. Nothing takes it out. Wish I'd of just left it filthy and went to bed. Atleast I'd of got some more sleep.

I used to work for a high end auto detailing service. We would also do boats in the off season. We used a chemical descaler I forgot the name to clean up the aluminum pontoons.

Would spray it and let it sit any nastiness and scaling and other residues will just spray right off almost as though it etched the aluminum.

It was nasty stuff but who knows it might help your situation if you're willing to try it out. Then again it may cause more damage. A small test area would be prudent.

Like all the other current black powder substitutes, BH 209 contains potassium perchlorate. The residue of potassium perchlorate can cause corrosion in the presence of moisture.

Last edited:
I had a member of the club I belong to tell me this. If in u was a worried about it dirty. U shoulda pulled the dip stick on your in truck, and wiped it with that there patch u used. Pilgrim. That there would a been just fine. Till u got some store bought goods. Geez maybe sooooo.

I'm lazy. Barely clean my guns. Sometimes leave a loaded ML for over a year. You guys probably never go to parties and are always late for Church because you are cleaning your guns so much.

Cleaning any weapon that was taken into the field, regardless of whether it was shot, or not, is ingrained into my DNA, so to speak. I was taught this as a pre-teen on my first hunt. To not clean is unthinkable. I don't know about anyone else, but EVERY firearm that I have purchased, has been dear to me, in one way, or another. I also appreciate the engineering, talent, and workmanship that goes into the creation/manufacturing of any firearm, from hand cannons up to the most sophisticated modern sniper rifle.

I come from a long line of old school men & women that worked with their hands in a variety of different fields. Tools have always been an important part of my life, and to not take proper care of a tool is just unacceptable.

NOT CLEANING my rifle, shotgun, or pistol after use is simply not going to happen. Unless some sort of emergency/injury/illness occured at the time of returning home

Here is my take on first shot accuracy.

If your muzzleloading rifle is so inaccurate on a cold bore first shot as to need fouling of some sort in order for the rifle to allow you to hit the vital zone of whatever animal species that you are hunting, than that rifle is an unacceptable hunting weapon.

If a cold bore first shot is hitting 4"-5" away from all subsequent shots, than that rifle is not suitable for hunting.

Does anyone REALLY THINK that the men (& women) whose lives depended upon muzzleloading rifles back in the 18th & 19th Centuries shooting flintlocks could afford to put their rifles away fouled so that the first cold bore shot would hit where they expected it to? Or, when percussion cap weapons came along, that they were fouling their bores with percussion caps before loading?

The answer is a BIG FAT NO!!!!!!

Not only was black powder corrosive when fired, or WET, but until recently (mid-to-late 20th Century) all percussion caps had corrosive priming compounds utilized in their manufacture, with fulminate of mercury being the original.

So these practices of not cleaning that everyone in this thread going back several years are advocating seem very, very wrong to me.

Everyone can do as they like, but for myself my hunting rifle must be capable of putting its first, cold bore shot right smack in the X-ring where I want it to go.

Perhaps I have been blessed with an overabundance of good luck, because all three of my flintlock longrifles were capable of just that. First shot from a cold bore straight into the X-ring off of a bench rest, as long as I did my part.

It never occurred to me back in 1971 with my first, .45 caliber flintlock, that fouling the bore was something that was going to be necessary in order for best accuracy. None of the publications of that time that I was reading; Muzzle Blasts magazine, Muzzleloader magazine, nor the Lyman Black Powder Handbook, ever mentioned bore fouling as something that a hunter might need to take into consideration.

I am going to postulate that it is our late-20th Century to early-21st Century obsession with one-hole accuracy in all of our centerfire rifles, that has recently been applied to ALL muzzleloading rifles.

I guess each muzzleloading hunter has to ask themselves the following question.

"Just how accurate does my muzzleloading hunting rifle have to be?"

Since without a telescopic rifle scope mounted on a muzzleloader, I cannot see well enough to shoot past 50-60 yards with open iron sights; one-hole accuracy is not the first criteria that I use to judge a hunting rifle. The following criteria matter more.

Weight (less than 8 pounds, all up)
Ergonomics
Handiness
Comfort (must not hurt cheek, shoulder)
Fit (with winter clothing)
Length of Pull (13", or less)
Overall Length (less than a meter)
Bore Diameter (patched ball)(.58 caliber min.)
Ball Weight (mass for killing)
Bore Smoothness (ease of loading)
Sling Swivels (1.5" wide minimum)
Shooting Sling (Ching, Rhodesian, Riflemann)

I have never been much of a fan of stand hunting, primarily because I need to be on the ground looking for spoor, assessing the wind, smelling the forest, listening for anomalies, etc. Still hunting, or whatever term one applies to it, has always been my preferred method of hunting.

So, as I return to muzzleloading hunting, after a 30 year absence, it will be with the Optima V2 pistol in my hands.

Scoped with a Leapers UTG, 2-7×32mm, illuminated handgun scope, mounted in Warne steel Q-D lever rings attached to Warne, steel, 2-pc bases.

With a LR Customs MZ REX2 muzzle brake on the muzzle to help control recoil. And, Doc White, 2-pc, curly maple, two-handed, Javelina stocks.

Shooting patched balls, lead conicals, and jacketed/monolithic .40 caliber to .45 caliber bullets in sabots. Using mostly black powder instead of BH209. Because, I am budget minded, and if most, if not all, of my practicing/hunting will be at ranges less than 75 meters, then I cannot see the need for the much greater expense of either Swiss black powder, or BH209.

Unless accuracy totally sucks, Goex fffg, or Graf's fffg black powder will be the propellants of choice.

Which means that I will be cleaning the pistol every time I use it. And, not leaving it loaded overnight, or for any extended period of time.

So…Everytime you hunt with your ML, or soon to receive Optima pistol, you will load it and then if not fired remove the bullet and powder and clean then reload the next time you hunt?

So…Everytime you hunt with your ML, or soon to receive Optima pistol, you will load it and then if not fired remove the bullet and powder and clean then reload the next time you hunt?
That's correct. The time it takes to do so is insignificant compared to the potential damage I might cause by leaving it loaded.

I know myself quite well by now (age 67).

If I were to get in the habit of not shooting out an unfired load, or removing it by pulling the breech plug & carefully pushing the lead conical, patched ball, or saboted bullet out through the breech; & subsequently cleaning the pistol; then I am pretty sure that before long I would be coming up with excuses not to clean in a timely manner.

And, eventually, I would have a pistol that would be in rough condition.

Besides, as I stated in the above post, not cleaning a gun taken afield, goes contrary to everything I have been taught about firearms, and their care, since I was allowed the PRIVILEGE to start shooting/hunting at about age 9.

A gun is just like any other tool that I have ever learned to use. Unloading it, disassembling it, cleaning it, lubricating it, reassembling it, and putting it away in good shooting condition ready to use for the next range session, or hunting trip, takes little time, in my opinion. And is as much a part of my hunting experience, as is the stalking, and killing of any wild animal might be.

So, to answer your question most emphatically, I don't mind the time spent unloading an unfired muzzleloading rifle, handgun, or smoothbore at all. That time is factored into the entire hunting experience.

If I ever felt that I couldn't find the time to properly clean my muzzleloading guns after a range session, or hunting trip; then I simply would not go.

That's all I have to say on this subject. Other members here obviously feel different. To each his own. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you re-use the powder and bullet after unloading it (if you don’t shoot it out)?
Absolutely. A lead conical, or patched ball can always be recast if damage is done in pushing them out of the bore. The couple of times I needed to do this back in the 80's, I just shot the load at the end of the hunting day. Now that the Optima V2 pistol is a part of my life, I intend to make a set of straight-grained, slightly undersized, 1/2" diameter, hickory/ash dowels that have the nose shape of the bullets I am shooting turned into one end. That way I can tap out any type of projectile through the open breech without causing any damage to the nose of an expensive hunting bullet.

Hats off for Matthew323. Certainly a moment of reverence should be observed. Been hunting since i was 5. Had similar upbringing. When I get to a point that I don't enjoy cleaning and loving my guns. I'll give them to my son and grandson. R to someone I believe will care for them Like I have. Then I'll just go fishing! And turn them loose. Since I won't be able to be bothered with cleaning them either. Lol. I've learned over 55 years that a well cared for gun is a pleasure to own. I don't own guns that won't shoot from clean to fouled bore with excexptable accuracy either. I've always been able to find something that it will shoot well with for atleast three shots. With bh209 it's just easy to do. All my guns r shooters. I sell the ones that aren't r give them to someone that wants it. And I let them know why I'm getting rid of it. R I keep them for parts. R I send it back! I've had good luck for the most part. I have a bunch of them . I suppose we're all different people with different likes and wants. Do what makes u happy. I sure am. Just my 2 cents lol. I have a small fortune in firearms. Geez can't imagine not taking care of them. I have a special rider on my home owners insurance just for them.

I used to work for a high end auto detailing service. We would also do boats in the off season. We used a chemical descaler I forgot the name to clean up the aluminum pontoons.

Would spray it and let it sit any nastiness and scaling and other residues will just spray right off almost as though it etched the aluminum.

It was nasty stuff but who knows it might help your situation if you're willing to try it out. Then again it may cause more damage. A small test area would be prudent.

Could it be nitric acid you're thinking of? That'll eat scale real quick, it'll also eat aluminium concrete and take galvanized steel down to bare metal ready for paint. I use it at work to keep butcher shop equipment clean. Make sure to wear gloves and turn on a ventilation fan, this stuff is strong.

Could it be nitric acid you're thinking of? That'll eat scale real quick, it'll also eat aluminium concrete and take galvanized steel down to bare metal ready for paint. I use it at work to keep butcher shop equipment clean. Make sure to wear gloves and turn on a ventilation fan, this stuff is strong.

That may be it it was definitely some type of acid highly corrosive and highly toxic. Nasty stuff but boy did it clean. I was never involved in the purchasing boss always got that stuff. I just remember using it and him giving me the warnings about not getting that on my skin and not breathing in any the fumes.

Latest posts

Back