Leaving Stands up on Public Land - Conflict? New Maryland regs.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Michigan we've always been able to leave them up. But they have to have name, address, on them. And the regs state that anyone else can use them if they get there before you.
To hell with all that nonsense. Leaving your stand up on any public land is more than just a lil risky to begin with. But that anyone else can use your stand whenever you are not sitting in it is a big NO GO for me.

VA. allows portable tree stands, doesn't say if you can leave them or not. Permanent stands are unlawful to construct, maintain, or occupy on public lands.
Yes, I don't know of any public lands where its allowed to build plywood/2x4 permanent treestands. Many places you cant cause any damage to the tree whatsoever, no screw in anything or nail in anything, no damaging even the bark. The Summit Viper has allowed me to hunt virtually anywhere I want & not leave a trace behind me that I was ever there. Though it too can damage certain tree bark.

We are not allowed to build permanent blinds out of anything other than materials found there in the woods.... deadfall limbs and branches. Anything built or put up, has to be taken down after the season(7 days?) Or the DNR will destroy it. They can and will take down anything that doesnt have owner info on it.
Cant secure any thing to a tree with something that penetrates the bark.

In Utah, I have encountered hunters who would actually look for your blaze orange and then set up overlooking you. This was their "scouting" technique.
One of the many reasons I switched to MZ.
This is why I use a climber. I don't want to be able to see (any) other hunter when in the deer woods. Those folks are not true sportsmen IMO.

This is why I use a climber. I don't want to be able to see (any) other hunter when in the deer woods. Those folks are not true sportsmen IMO.
Exactly. When I finally entered the 21st century & got my first Summit Viper & a Garmin GPS & some reflective push pins & a green clip on light for my Gortex hunting hat, it virtually opened up a whole new world of hunting freedom to go anywhere I wanted easily & hunt.

Using another's stand without express (and preferably written) permission is Criminal Conversion in Indiana.
Another reason not to live there , public means just that and if that's a bother get your stand moved onto private and if you dont own it get permission . And if not try telling the owner that and you might be looking to buy your own ! /Ed

What if some one uses your stand on public ground and they get hurt,who is held responsable for them?
Thats easy. Everyone! you, the DNR, the State, the stand manufacturer, the guy who called 911 or took him to the hospital, the doctor that set his broken leg, your kids, your neighbor, the store that sold the stand, the store that sold him liquor at 5 AM...

My friend is in a wheel chair today because he used wood limbs etc to build a stand He climbed it fine it wasn't till he came down The very first branch broke and he fell to the ground and broke his back after that I offered to take him in the woods with my 4 wheeler he said no he wanted not hing to do with hunting A once really nice guy became very bitter I offered several times he said leave me alone

That's sad Lou, tragic actually. My son hunts in Illinois on public land and when he was 30, he was putting up his stand and missed stepped when 20ft up. He fell and when he woke up he was able to cell phone a buddy that knew where he hunted, paramedics got him out. He spent nearly 25 hrs in the woods and a few days in the hospital but got lucky. While in the hospital they found an inoperable aneurism in his brain stem that can go any day. We actually look at his fall as a blessing....now. He still hunts but is ever so careful when he climbs. He is 45 now and still uses public land.

I did aerial line work for years. The first rule of thumb before going up is to clear a landing zone in case you come down quicker than you had planned.

You may still break something, but clearing a landing zone reduces the chances of punctures.

People never cease to amaze me. Once near Headquarters ID, a person flagged me down to tell me his phone was out. I pulled into his driveway, and I found a pole down with a power lineman underneath it. The guy who stopped me was so angry that the lineman had put his phone out that he left the guy trapped under the pole when he came to get me. Luckily it was spring, and mud saved the lineman's life. He was a little broken up, but alive.

I did aerial line work for years. The first rule of thumb before going up is to clear a landing zone in case you come down quicker than you had planned.

You may still break something, but clearing a landing zone reduces the chances of punctures.

People never cease to amaze me. Once near Headquarters ID, a person flagged me down to tell me his phone was out. I pulled into his driveway, and I found a pole down with a power lineman underneath it. The guy who stopped me was so angry that the lineman had put his phone out that he left the guy trapped under the pole when he came to get me. Luckily it was spring, and mud saved the lineman's life. He was a little broken up, but alive.
Wreckless disregard for human life. That person should have been prosecuted.

In MA we are allowed to place tree stands on public land 2 weeks before the season and remove them within 2 weeks after the season ends. While scouting I found a few stands. At one there was a trail camera and being a new hunter I tried to hold up my phone in front of the camera with my phone number in hopes of meeting a fellow hunter. More on that later.

I started using a climbing stand, but at my age and strength it was difficult. After several sessions I installed climbing sticks and a safety line. To discourage theft (and use) I too the seat with me, and all parts had multiple instances of my hunting ID number (one instance required).

On the opening day of gun season I was lucky enough to have my son with me, who was visiting for Thanksgiving from ID. He used that tree stand I’d found earlier in the season, and he shot a buck. Some other hunter came along and was upset because it was his buddy’s stand. He must have called his buddy, because he showed up a little later (no orange) complaining as well. He was also wondering if it was the nut who appeared on his trail camera (me). The statutes state that tree stands on public land may be used by anyone.

Not a comfortable situation.

I guess several thingsconcern me about using someone elses stand on public land is that I do not know how safe the stand would be and the condition it is in.And another would be just like you said aboutshooting a deer from that stand.You never know what maniac may take it to far and you are on the other end of a gun looking down at the barrel.

I would never climb a stand without some kind of lifeline, and inspect it very carefully before using it. It would be fine with me if someone were to use my stand on public land if I wasn’t there. I much prefer that to theft, which I’m sure occurs with great frequency.

I stopped using tree stands on public land because of thieves. Four times I found others in my stand. Hunting in a stand someone else put up is just plain crazy. I have no idea if someone else's stand is safe. At my age I think it's better for me to just stay on the ground.

Another reason not to live there , public means just that and if that's a bother get your stand moved onto private and if you dont own it get permission . And if not try telling the owner that and you might be looking to buy your own ! /Ed

Public land does not mean you have the right to use private, personal property. To think otherwise is asinine; whether your state is stupid enough to have that opinion or not.

Might as well leave your weapon there at the stand so that some freeloader can use that, too! Good grief!

Public land does not mean you have the right to use private, personal property. To think otherwise is asinine; whether your state is stupid enough to have that opinion or not.

Might as well leave your weapon there at the stand so that some freeloader can use that, too! Good grief!
You missed my point , if you’re on public it means just that ! You have no right to that location or your stand unless your in it ! I said if you don’t like that hunt some private with owners permission. But I thought if you told owner only you the owner of the stand was allowed to use it I would expect the owner to tell you to take a hike (I would) /Ed

Latest posts

Back