LEE R.E.A.L

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fla940

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had good luck with the LEE R.E.A.L mold? I just ordered one today to try in my 50cal sidelock and wondered if anyone can enlighten me on your success/failure of this round.

Cast them well, and only shoot those that are close in weight to one another. I don't think you can go wrong by being a little critical about bullet quality as regards to having full fill-out in the mold when casting, nor in keeping the weights +/- 0.5 grains. Use pure lead only, no alloys.

Remember, that you want as perfect of a bullet base as possible as it is the base of the bullet that steers the bullet down range, not the nose.

The top driving band on the .50 caliber R.E.A.L is 0.517" and the bottom of the 4 bands measures 0.502", according to the Lee Precision website.

Use a good lube on the bullets. Like Bullshop NASA, SPG, or Idaholewis's concoction.

The one time I tried them, back in the 80's I got so-so accuracy. But, I really wasn't trying very hard to work out an accurate load at that time. I was shooting them out of a .50 caliber, deep-grooved, 1:48" twist, 42" long, swamped octagon longrifle barrel. An over powder wool wad wasn't even in my thoughts in those days. If it had been, then I probably would have been able to get much better accuracy then I did at the time.

Nowadays, I would use an over bore size wool wad, lightly lubed, .54 caliber wad for a .50 caliber barrel. Much better chance of sealing the bore behind the base of the bullet, thus protecting the base as it travels down the barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested the 250 Grain, The smaller of the 2 Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets in .50 Cal back when i was accuracy testing the 1:48 Twist, It was 1 of the Worst Shooting Bullets i tried. Hopefully you have better luck with them than i did. I have tried them in .54 Cal as well, Again wasn’t impressed. In short, I am not a Fan of the Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets

Last edited:
I tested the 250 Grain, The smaller of the 2 Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets in .50 Cal back when i was accuracy testing the 1:48 Twist, It was 1 of the Worst Shooting Bullets i tried. Hopefully you have better luck with them than i did. I have tried them in .54 Cal as well, Again wasn’t impressed. In short, I am not a Fan of the Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets
I had similar results. Shoot the heavier (longer) one, if you’re gonna shoot them. To be fair, I shot them from a 1:28 twist Optima. I think they may shoot a little better from a 1:48. I don’t remember what Lewis shot them out of. It’s on his YouTube channel,I believe.

I had similar results. Shoot the heavier (longer) one, if you’re gonna shoot them. To be fair, I shot them from a 1:28 twist Optima. I think they may shoot a little better from a 1:48. I don’t remember what Lewis shot them out of. It’s on his YouTube channel,I believe.
It’s late..... That’s my excuse.
I just read Lew’s post and couldnt remember it for 1 minute😂. It clearly stated 1:48 twist😂

I need sleep

Thanks all for the info...

Matthew323 I might see about the over the powder wad when I get this mold and see what that does for me.

Again thanks everyone!

Back