Lee Shaver’s Barrel break in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its good for tight spots or burrs WITH USER SELF CONTROL !!! Steel wool is MUCH gentler . It basicaly GENTLELY smooths things out . Scotch brite WILL remove material ,especially anything coarser than the WHITE . Be Carefull with scotch brite !!! It CAN work in a Hurry to Your Suprise And Woe !!!

I've been hesitant to use any scotch brite in a barrel. it seems much more abrasive than the steel wool.

I don’t do a lot with the scotch but it is great for rusted barrels.
I’ll finish the barrel off with Steel wool to Smooth things out.

i was thinking the same
Heres a news flash guys---i may just save my old 54 bk92 barrel !!! Its not a 54 anymore but its SLICK and pretty dam consistant too !!! Bravo it got rusted BAD when i lent it years ago . I think im gonna be able to save it ....maybe !!! We'll see....
Anyway i considered it as a loss so no harm can i do anyway . It wears a repurposed Ruml barrel now made to fit . I MISS that big bore Bazooka !!!

There are several grits of scotch Brite pads. The white pads are less abrasive than 0000 wool pads.
Not really . I have and do use both on a regular basis actually . The 0000 will polish like chrome eventually . Scotch brite wont . It will be fine but no shine . By hand that is . By machine the 0000 will still have more gloss . 0000 is an excellant burnisher , and thats break -in in a nutshell .

Last edited:
Not really . I have and do use both on a regular basis actually . The 0000 will polish like chrome eventually . Scotch brite wont . It will be fine but no shine . By hand that is . By machine the 0000 will still have more gloss . 0000 is an excellant burnisher , and thats break -in in a nutshell .
I so enjoy reading & learning all this stuff. TY

I was thinking that youtube is almost like being with the person, watching, listening, but not able to communicate and they don't know you're there. It's very cool that way. But this forum is more about SHARING ideas and info, discussing different ways to do things. Being a part of the process instead of just watching it.
Very well stated brotha! I really have grown very fond of this forum. It has rather quickly become a part of my everyday life since I joined last Aug. I look forward to reading the new posts when they get posted in the mornin. My days now start off with EGGO waffles, DBL size Starbucks< yes a Starbucks guzzlin cultured redneck, watchin the sun come up & the new day begin readin in MML forum & interacting, makin myself a small part of this awesome community for exactly what you wrote. Kind regards all

I have been meaning to update this thread, to show pics of Targets that i have Shot using the “Lee Shaver Barrel Break In” procedure. As I’ve said MANY times, EVERY Barrel i own gets this Treatment BEFORE it is ever Shot.

All of my Targets EXCEPT 1 Were Shot with OPEN/PEEP Sights. Ranging from 50-60 Yards to well over 800 Yards.

This is the ONLY Scoped Muzzleloader Group i have, I rarely bothered taking pics of my Scoped ML Groups
nU3C9cQ.jpg

scW6Gad.jpg

McE3L0e.jpg

YMRkdF5.jpg

p3CcusI.jpg
EOapPJa.jpg

mtVcvgV.jpg

n9Pmz8s.jpg

W8Yl6QM.jpg

ylEbbIi.jpg

gGD3Bfn.jpg

PuJyjha.jpg

GolSb9S.jpg

fgouOhQ.jpg

Udg1Shm.jpg

hf1izKr.jpg

RdmXmCI.jpg

3zgZqvk.jpg

Zi0DAKF.jpg

sFtvZCN.jpg

Those are just a Few of my Muzzleloader Groups, Testing Various Bullets Etc., Up until a few years ago i never bothered taking pictures of Targets, I RARELY ever took a Picture, I simply wrote my Data down in a Log Book.

The above is to Show that my Experience Following The “Lee Shavers Barrel Break in“ Procedure that i Started this thread with, works EXTREMELY Well

Very well stated brotha! I really have grown very fond of this forum. It has rather quickly become a part of my everyday life since I joined last Aug. I look forward to reading the new posts when they get posted in the mornin. My days now start off with EGGO waffles, DBL size Starbucks< yes a Starbucks guzzlin cultured redneck, watchin the sun come up & the new day begin readin in MML forum & interacting, makin myself a small part of this awesome community for exactly what you wrote. Kind regards all

Ninering62
Well we start the day almost the same. 2 blueberry toaster waffles, 2 microwave sausage patties, a little buttery syrup, a cup of Kurieg coffe, and watch the sun come up, on the patio with my bird feeders full of Chickadees and Cardinals and now Robins and Bluejays. Reading mail from all the forums that I follow, ML, MML, FML, 58 Remington Forum, and Colt Country Forum. This is how I start every morning except I do vary breakfast. Am I in a rut or what?
DL

Ninering62
Well we start the day almost the same. 2 blueberry toaster waffles, 2 microwave sausage patties, a little buttery syrup, a cup of Kurieg coffe, and watch the sun come up, on the patio with my bird feeders full of Chickadees and Cardinals and now Robins and Bluejays. Reading mail from all the forums that I follow, ML, MML, FML, 58 Remington Forum, and Colt Country Forum. This is how I start every morning except I do vary breakfast. Am I in a rut or what?
DL
That all sounds like a pretty dang nice RUT Lee. Thanks for the wonderful post

I just did this with my new Optima this evening. The first 2 passes were ROUGH, and with each pass, it got smoother. Something must be going on in there. I stopped at 20 passes. Cleaned up the oil with a few dry patches and put it up.
I should get a chance to shoot it next week when I get the current jobs I'm doing finished.
Thanks Idaholewis for this thread as I was just going to load and shoot when I got the chance, this may save me from some headache down the road.

I just did this with my new Optima this evening. The first 2 passes were ROUGH, and with each pass, it got smoother. Something must be going on in there. I stopped at 20 passes. Cleaned up the oil with a few dry patches and put it up.
I should get a chance to shoot it next week when I get the current jobs I'm doing finished.
Thanks Idaholewis for this thread as I was just going to load and shoot when I got the chance, this may save me from some headache down the road.

Follow Lee’s Method that i posted at the Start of this Thread, He is a 2 time World Champion, with NUMEROUS other Records/Accomplishments, Lee is not only a “WORLD CLASS“ Shooter, He is also a TOP SHELF Gun Smith. In short, Lee Shaver knows WELL what he’s doing :lewis: He wouldn’t have Written, Published this in his Single Shot Exchange Magazine if it was bad, and would Harm your Barrel. A little common sense goes a LONG Way

0000 Steel Wool is not gonna hurt anything, After 25 or so Strokes with the 0000 Steel Wool, i remove it and go to Straight patches with Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound on them, Then do another 50 Strokes or so, Changing the Patches as they Wear out. The amount of Strokes i choose with each depends on the Bore? 1 stroke is All the way Down til the Rod Stops at the Breech Plug, and then Fully Exit the Bore

Ahh, ok. I don't have any Montana Extreme but I do have JB. I'll spend a little time polishing the bore. 50 strokes, eh?:oops: Shouldn't take long at all.
Thanks again.

Ahh, ok. I don't have any Montana Extreme but I do have JB. I'll spend a little time polishing the bore. 50 strokes, eh?:oops: Shouldn't take long at all.
Thanks again.

JB bore paste and Montana Extreme bore Polish Compound are the same type of Product, they accomplish the same Task :lewis:

How can it hurt the crown if I'm coming in from the breech ??? Unless you are referring to a traditional ML, then I am talking out of place.

Latest posts

Back