Leupold 4x vs 6x fixed power

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macegl

Reaction score
I'm in search of a new scope for the knight disc extreme 45 I picked up this year.

This is a hunting muzzle loader, I hunt mostly in Utah and mostly hunt mule deer. While hunting I prefer to close the distance to 150 or closer, but frequently practice out to 300.

I have a leupold 6x36 on another muzzleloader, and love its simplicity and eye relief. 6x is almost perfect for muzzle loading out here in the west..... almost. There have been a few occasions when I have been hunting tight cover where 6x hasn't been ideal.

I haven't ever used a 4x, would it be enough magnification to shoot at 300? I'm not going to lie sometimes even at 6x a target at 300 looks pretty small. Is there enough real difference in field of view, say at 25 yds, between 6x and 4x to even worry about?

I have toyed with the idea of a 2-7. I like that magnification range, I just haven't been able to find a 2-7 leupold or redfield near here to look through.

One of the things I really like about my fixed 6 is the constant eye relief. I feel like it makes me more consistent.

Now days i would not even look at 2x7s. Virtually none are a 40mm objective which will limit FOV. Look at the 2x10s or 2.5x10. There are some nice ones with a 40mm-42mm objective.

If you dont mind the 2x7x33 the Redfield is under $200 and a good scope. Loopie offers one very similar too.

On Leupold website specs say the 4X has a field of view at 100 yard of 24 feet. Spec say the 6X has field of view at 100 yard of 17.7 feet. If one divide the 100 yard spec by four for view at 25 yard then ---- 4X = 6 feet; 6X = 4.4 feet.

The field of view of the 2.5-8 scope set on 2.5X is 37.5 feet at 100 yard ----divided by four = 9.275 feet.

Last edited:
I really like the 2.5-8 leupold, but unless I catch it on a good sale I'll probably stick with a 2-7 if I go the variable route.

On Leupold website specs say the 4X has a field of view at 100 yard of 24 feet. Spec say the 6X has field of view at 100 yard of 17.7 feet. If one divide the 100 yard spec by four for view at 25 yard then ---- 4X = 6 feet; 6X = 4.4 feet.

The field of view of the 2.5-8 scope set on 2.5X is 37.5 feet at 100 yard ----divided by four = 9.275 feet.

Interesting how when you get that close in, the difference between 4x and 6x is pretty minimal. I'm thinking this may narrow my choices to a 6x or a 2-7x.

Relief sucks on that Swift. Its like 3" but the box is a little forgiving. None of the Premier series have what i consider good eye relief.

I looked them up, looks like a nice scope, but that 3" eye relief you mentioned is a deal breaker for me on a muzzleloader.

This is what i use just because its good for the money. Mine is a Accu-Range but this is the plex. I like the plex better. Specs are very similar to the Leupold 2x7x33 which is about $35-50 more. Cost goes up quite bit after 2x7x33to36. A nice 2x10x40 will cost much more.

Good eye relief, good weight and mine have held up very well.
https://www.natchezss.com/redfield-...-2-7x33mm-4-plex-43-2-17-3-3-7-4-2-matte.html

3-3.5x9-10x40 is the next step up with a reasonable price point but truthfully i like my low to be no more than 3x. If you can live with it the VX3i is on sale at many places for $299.

I have a vx-3 on another rifle and really like it. So if I could find one on sale for 299 that would be a good option.

I have looked at the redfield numerous times, I actually like the accurange reticle. My only worry is future customer service, I just don't feel really confident Leupold will continue to support the redfield line. Still an option I am heavily considering.

Wow that really is almost everyone.

One of my good friends had the viper hs, I was impressed until it failed to hold zero. Vortex replaced it, probably an uncommon problem, but I have very little confidence in vortex qc.

Will a 40mm objective fit with low rings and warne bases? I remember reading on your 1:20 mountaineer barrel thread that a 42 wouldnt.

i dont think so. The Warnes ring/bases selector app says medium for upto 42mm. Lows upto 36mm obj.
GM54--120 why does everybody like those 3x9's or 2x10's or more so much for ??? Once i discovered 1.5x6 or even less magnification i'll NEVER go back to that narrow field of view stuff !!! 30 to 40 ft fooey !!! Those other optics are dark in comparison at twilight too IMO . They (low power) are getting harder to find too cause of the see Mars hype of those models other scopes . I dont get it !!! Thats why i carry a pocket monocular to spot with if im not sure too , safer.....
Ask most professional guides sometime what they like to see a customer have !!! Even on a cf !!!! Even a magnum like my 300 win mag !!!

My favorite is a GOOD 1.5x6x42 , man thats nearly night vision !!! About 70ft fov too or MORE !!! Running deer no problem in a woods if you can shoot . I REALLY DONT understand the attraction..... just being honest , i dont get it !!!
The powerfull scopes WILL teach shooting disapline on the bench but in the woods or open country hunting , ah i'll take the lower power stuff .

Last edited:
Back