Leupold 4x vs 6x fixed power

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i much prefer fixed power rifle scopes. Several of my rifles wear Leupold FX II 4 x 33, the FX II 6 x 36 and the FX III 6 x 42. All are excellent scopes.

Several years i hunted wild hogs in Oklahoma with three German gentleman. To my surprise all three very expensive rifles wore FX III 6 x 42 scopes.

Last evening i shot a hog in the dark. The scope is the excellent Zeiss 4X Conquest, no longer sold.

BTW: Natchez has the excellent Weaver 4X scope on sale for about $130. That scope was made in japan and has excellent optics. The 6X version of the scope withstood 10,000 rounds from a .375 H&H magnum rifle.

i much prefer fixed power rifle scopes. Several of my rifles wear Leupold FX II 4 x 33, the FX II 6 x 36 and the FX III 6 x 42. All are excellent scopes.

Several years i hunted wild hogs in Oklahoma with three German gentleman. To my surprise all three very expensive rifles wore FX III 6 x 42 scopes.

Last evening i shot a hog in the dark. The scope is the excellent Zeiss 4X Conquest, no longer sold.

BTW: Natchez has the excellent Weaver 4X scope on sale for about $130. That scope was made in japan and has excellent optics. The 6X version of the scope withstood 10,000 rounds from a .375 H&H magnum rifle.
I got a 4x weaver too , good stuff . I also got a 2x bsa on a gun i bought one time . Both are still ticking !!! Inexpensive and durable is the fixed power !!! I shoot both eyes open anyway so i could make one easily be an all arounder if i should choose to . Myself i prefer a low power variable but you see i have fixed power models too . For target i got a 6x18 and a 8x40 x56 when its time to get serious . Just DONT BREATHE !!! Lol !!!

Hard to find affordable 1.5xXx40ish scopes for hunting. The vast majority are "tactical" and expensive or just cheap Chinese garbage. (Truglo cough cough) Not a whole lot of options between. Burris has something like that for $400 or more.

Pretty much the last thing i want is a 30mm tube 1.5x that weighs 20oz+ and cost more than a good 2x10 hunting scope. Hard to even look at scopes like that when you can get a Zeiss V4 on sale for under $500.

Hard to find affordable 1.5xXx40ish scopes for hunting. The vast majority are "tactical" and expensive or just cheap Chinese garbage. (Truglo cough cough) Not a whole lot of options between. Burris has something like that for $400 or more.

Pretty much the last thing i want is a 30mm tube 1.5x that weighs 20oz+ and cost more than a good 2x10 hunting scope. Hard to even look at scopes like that when you can get a Zeiss V4 on sale for under $500.
Thats true a GOOD ONE is indeed big duckets !!! THAT is a shame too. I have a tatical on my mz's though and i REALLY like them , not too much junk in view . Dial up turrets , range estimation , bdc , lighted , etc for a REALLY decent price . Tested at 50 bmg recoils AND guarenteed at same !!! I like 30mm tubes though , or even bigger . One thing is for sure the Zeiss diavari my 300 wears will be my ONLY one at todays prices !!!! Its 2 1/2 times what it cost me years ago !!! I spoiled myself with THAT one !!! The military stuff might suprise you on cost though . Not in the normal buying channels however.......

I can tolerate some stuff in a reticle but i have no interest in lighted/illuminated. It just added to weight and reliability concerns. Dont really even need a side focus for my hunting scopes but i sorta like it. SF also adds weight.

I missed a smoking deal on the Razor HD LH 2x10x40 which for me has the ideal specs for a hunting scope. They had them for $480 and you wont find them for under $680 anywhere. Simple straight forward scope with HD glass and duplex. ATM that V4 is a crazy good deal and reviews says they are tougher than the older Conquests.

I can tolerate some stuff in a reticle but i have no interest in lighted/illuminated. It just added to weight and reliability concerns. Dont really even need a side focus for my hunting scopes but i sorta like it. SF also adds weight.

I missed a smoking deal on the Razor HD LH 2x10x40 which for me has the ideal specs for a hunting scope. They had them for $480 and you wont find them for under $680 anywhere. Simple straight forward scope with HD glass and duplex. ATM that V4 is a crazy good deal and reviews says they are tougher than the older Conquests.
Wow 200 bucks off was beautiful !!! Too bad you missed out on that one !!!

Picked up a Leupold vx-iii 2.5-8x36 off ebay for $269. Used, but looks to be in good shape from the pictures. Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

Latest posts

Back