leupold vx3i 2-10x40 vs. vxr patrol 3-9x40 30mm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
Anyone look through these two scopes and can tell me which one has better low light capability? as far as seeing the deer. I know the vxr has firedot. also durability on a scout conversion, opinions. I have alot of phillipine made scopes that just lose the deer too early and their eye relief is a tad too short. so looking at the leupolds for my scout.

Durability will be great either way. The glass on the VX3i 3.5-10x40 May be a touch better that the VXR series but you’ll never be able to tell. The firedot tho is amazing in timber or low light! I would try and find a regular 3-9x40 VXR tho. No need for the gadgets of the Patrol model on a ML.

I didnt know they made a regular model vxr 3-9x40, I need to look more, that would be great

I ended up ordering the vx3i 2-10x40, and burris signature zee rings and offset insert set to keep from using alot of my verticle adjustment. the scope has the duplex reticle. I don't know why I went with the vx3i scope, I think its because I have an old vxll 3-9x40 on it now and it just looks right for the gun, however that scope has a thinner duplex reticle and wouldnt do real well in low light. I had to go with the burris signature rings because the poi was about 12 inches low at about 40 yds. when I sighted the last scope in, and therefor had to use alot of adjustment, that scope had 80 moa of adjustment, the leupolds dont have that much. If the zee rings won't hold the scope I'll have to go with their tactical signatures, but they are huge. I got the vx3i for 329'95 from scopelist, I couldnt find a screaming deal on the vxr except in an exposed turret model, and they werent lockable, I think that helped me make up my mind too. kip

You mean the 3.5x10x40? VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm | Leupold

That is the main reason i did not get the Loopie. I had to have 2x for low and i snatched up that Razor for just $350 on closeout.

Not sure if the regular Sig Zees are gunna hold. The Sig XTRs should. The scope is very light so you might be fine.

yes GM-54-120, it is the 3.5-10x40 model, I'm wondering about the sig zee rings too, we'll see what they do.

I was snooping around another forum where a guy was selling a NIB 3i 4.5-14 Leupold with a duplex. We made a deal & it’s in the mail. For right now I’ll mount it on a budget Savage Axis in 22-250 I bought the other week. The scope currently mounted for testing is a budget Simmons I had laying around. That cheap scope isn’t really fair to the gun.

I also ordered a better mounting system, a Warne one-piece rail then some Vortex rings on sale at Midway.

The vx3i 3.5-10x40 came this evening, Iv'e been on the deck looking across my cow pasture in dim light, it's got great low light capability for the size scope it is. I still haven't adjusted the eyepiece for reticle clarity. The burris signature rings and extra insert kit is the only thing I'm waiting on now. Widude,, can't waite to hear about your scope too! I like the eyepiece on a leupold for a hammer gun because it doesn't get in the way of the hammer cocking like a large ocular does. I think I have spent all 1,200.00 of the stimulus money on, fury bullets, bear creek bullets, hearing aids with sound compression capability from soundgear, this leupold scope, several sets of rings, and other odds and ends from hankin's and also Luke. lol

Tracking shows this scope at the local post office, hopefully it comes today, originally said Monday.

The 1st thing I want to check is that it’s a REAL Leupold. I was watching some counterfeit video about fakes. It’s from a fairly well-known guy, another forum, reportedly NIB, hopefully no worries.

I got the vx3i 3-9x40 mounted on the scout with the burris signature zee rings using 25 moa with a combination of offset inserts and that definitely brought my elevation up to the bull at 50 yds. will see next time out where it's at at 100 yds. I really like this scope.

I Love those rings with inserts !!! Great grip without any fear of "awh crap i just crushed the tube" !!! The alignment options are just super nice too . I run them whenever i can !!!

I have a couple of the vx3i models and can’t say enough good things about them, low light is one of the reasons I bought the second one, eye relief is the other reason. When I need another scope, I will look to the Leupold line up first.

The thing is though....Some of these SMLs like the break action conversions are brutal on scopes. There have been numerous reports of Loopies failing on SMLs. Mostly somewhat newer Loopies. Not as much with the older VX lineup vs the newer ones.

There are scopes out there in a similar price range with a better track record holding upto the heavy recoil. The 3i though is an attractive combination of weight, eye relief and optical quality. There isnt much out there competing without a good jump in price. Give up one of the features a little and you got a lot more options like the Veracity from Burris. Much heavier but a sweet scope when on sale. You trade several ounces for some cool low target knobs and parallax adjustment too. :p

GM54-120, yeah I hear ya on the track record with the sml guns especially the break actions, I did think about that. There just are not many scopes out there with the smaller occular housing, and the decent eye relief, and the lighter weight all in one package. If I break this one on this gun, I'll have to change something up. and the leupold also has that very good full target view, for lack of a better term. with my nerve disease having wrecked my hands and fingers and thumbs, the very small occular on this scope really helps me get the hammer cocked back, even with the hammer spur. there is redfield and weaver too but they are on the way out.

there are alot of scopes that I would buy except for their fairly short eye relief. burris has alot of them, beautiful scopes too, but shorter er.

The thing is though....Some of these SMLs like the break action conversions are brutal on scopes. There have been numerous reports of Loopies failing on SMLs. Mostly somewhat newer Loopies. Not as much with the older VX lineup vs the newer ones.

There are scopes out there in a similar price range with a better track record holding upto the heavy recoil. The 3i though is an attractive combination of weight, eye relief and optical quality. There isnt much out there competing without a good jump in price. Give up one of the features a little and you got a lot more options like the Veracity from Burris. Much heavier but a sweet scope when on sale. You trade several ounces for some cool low target knobs and parallax adjustment too. :p
Ive had much better service from a Burris than loopies truthfully . The durability has been much better in my experiance . Just my 2 cents......

Back