Licking ice off the roadv

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does South Dakota use salt on the roads? If I remember from my AF days there in the early 70's they just used sand.
If salt that's most likely what the sheep are licking. When the groundhogs come out in Spring here a lot of them get killed trying to get to the salt along the road.

Does South Dakota use salt on the roads? If I remember from my AF days there in the early 70's they just used sand.
If salt that's most likely what the sheep are licking. When the groundhogs come out in Spring here a lot of them get killed trying to get to the salt along the road.
No no salt. But they were licking some small pieces of ice that was melting
sand is still what they use on the roads

There is a little bit of salt in the sand to keep it from freezing in the pile. They are starting to use liquid beet juice in selected places like Rapid City.

rob

South Dakota uses mainly kansas rock salt. About 50,000 tons of rock salt, 1.5 million gallons of salt brine, 150,000 gallons of mg cl and a mixture of a few other things in very tiny amounts like beet heat and ice slicer. Less than 5,000 tons of sand were used last year typically only being used when the temperatures are way to low to initiate melting with chemicals.

Those are state wide totals.

Sheep and goats seem to have an issue getting salt. We got bighorn ewes to eat out of our hands by giving them saltine crackers. NM Game & Fish started putting salt blocks after them after a trophy bighorn hunter found somebody had carved something like Carlos + Lucia on the horn. My friend walked up to a ram that was lying down licking the block and actually touched it with his boot.

In Colorado, the mountain goats would lick human urine off the rocks. Some were so bold I worried they were trying to get it from the source.

In Pennsylvania they started adding a different type of reflective material to the yellow and white line paint years ago and the animals... Especially deer... love to lick it when it is freshly painted.

I had a September mule deer hunt in Colorado on a natural gas lease where they "mag" the roads, treat it with calcium magnesium to keep the dust down. I got back to my car in the dark and noticed my mirror was folded in and thought that was odd, started driving and saw the passenger side mirror was also...WTH ?? Turned on my headlights and the windshield was all smudged up. My local CO buddy explained that cattle will lick the road salt from cars, even though it's drysalt1.jpgsalt2.jpg. Finally saw that the whole car got a tongue bath from a herd of cows licking salt, the only unmolested part was the center of the windshield.

Last edited:
I had several hundred $$$ of damage to my truck from cattle licking. Insurance covered it, but I learned not to park in the pasture any longer.

Very cool pics, definitely wonā€™t get any of those on my cams in VA. :D

Back