light and easy loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
I have been searching the threads for "light loads/low recoil loads". Since most of my shots are <150yards. I got some Barnes 40 cal. 155gr., Barnes 40 cal. 195gr. and Hornady 180gr. XTP bullets that I'm going to try. I was going to try 17 - 18gr. of Blue Dot (Slufoot's load, kinda). I was wanting to try N110 but I can't find any locally. If the Blue Dot does ok, I will not worry about the N110. The AA5744 I can find at alot of places. In my searching, the powders I have seen are AA5744, N110, Blue Dot. Is there any other good powders for "light loads/low recoil loads"?

Really hard to say for sure. Even though the load is light it spikes peak much faster than N110 or 5744. Super fast rise to peak is very rough on sabots. On the other hand i dont know if that is enough bullet weight for N110 or 5744. Light amounts of 5744 or N110 and a 200gr bullet is a cream puff to shoot. IIRC 20gr of BlueDot was traced with a 200gr by TGinPA. Peak was very safe but rise is very very fast.

Is this a 209 based rifle or...????? Using really fast powders and the DI or some LRMP systems probably need some reduction in powder weight. Maybe even a very bad idea all together depending on the plug design.

So for anything under 200 gr, Blue Dot powder is the probably the way to go?

Good chance of it using Slufoot's recommended load. I never tried anything lighter than a 200gr with N110 or 4759. I dont think i ever tried any 5744 in a 45cal....cant remember for sure but my best advise would be to stick with a 200gr using those powders.

I have been searching the threads for "light loads/low recoil loads". Since most of my shots are <150yards. I got some Barnes 40 cal. 155gr., Barnes 40 cal. 195gr. and Hornady 180gr. XTP bullets that I'm going to try. I was going to try 17 - 18gr. of Blue Dot (Slufoot's load, kinda). I was wanting to try N110 but I can't find any locally. If the Blue Dot does ok, I will not worry about the N110. The AA5744 I can find at alot of places. In my searching, the powders I have seen are AA5744, N110, Blue Dot. Is there any other good powders for "light loads/low recoil loads"?

Have you tried the Barnes Redhot? It is a .40 cal, 175 gr solid copper hollow point. They perform excellent on deer with 100% weight retention and great expansion. We throw away the sabot that comes with it and replace it with a Harvester. I prefer the Harvester Crush Rib, it loads a little easier. The worse thing is they are only available from Knight's website from what I can find so I now make my own version.

OP You didn't say but I'm thinking you are shooting a 50 cal?? Best to search "youth", "ladies", and "low recoil" loads with the search engine. been down this same road and from experience I'll say forget the lighter bullets, stick with 200 and up. One of the main reasons that 45 ML offerings failed a bunch is that to get the "claimed velocity" that lighter bullets were necessary and they gave terrible terminal performance and sabot failure. In my 50 guns when I use 40 cal bullets I use the dark blue sabot with a sub base under it. Mostly the 200 grain X 40 cal bullets both SST, XTP and the Nosler. Lately have been using the 40 cal offerings from Fury and Pittman. Powders shoot VV-N110 in 30 to 33 grains, sometimes 5744 in 33 to 38 grains. Sometimes go to the 240 or 250 grain 45 XTP or equal bullet in BCR sabots and with the low powder loads light recoil and those pistol bullets give great terminal performance and are accurate down to 1500 fps MV.
SO = my advice is stick with 200 to 250 bullets and moderate charges of fast type powders. Ask how I know! This reflects my experience and opinion, others will differ. W

Have you tried the Barnes Redhot? It is a .40 cal, 175 gr solid copper hollow point. They perform excellent on deer with 100% weight retention and great expansion. We throw away the sabot that comes with it and replace it with a Harvester. I prefer the Harvester Crush Rib, it loads a little easier. The worse thing is they are only available from Knight's website from what I can find so I now make my own version.
Are you shooting these in a 50 or 45? Mine is a 45.

I got to thinking, I had Barnes send me some .410 41 mag 180 gr. bullets to try. I thought I would just give them to my hunting buddy who has a 41, if they didn't work. Before I tried, I measured them. In both sabots they were around .460. I tried them, in both HLB and the ribbed HLB sabots. I couldn't push them with my thumb (didn't expect to). I used my short starter, it went in. Just a good 2 hand pressure, didn't have to hang on it or "bust a vein" loading it, I pushed it all the way through. The sabot wasn't stretched or tore. It looked good. Now, I'm just waiting on my N110 to be delivered.

I got to thinking, I had Barnes send me some .410 41 mag 180 gr. bullets to try. I thought I would just give them to my hunting buddy who has a 41, if they didn't work. Before I tried, I measured them. In both sabots they were around .460. I tried them, in both HLB and the ribbed HLB sabots. I couldn't push them with my thumb (didn't expect to). I used my short starter, it went in. Just a good 2 hand pressure, didn't have to hang on it or "bust a vein" loading it, I pushed it all the way through. The sabot wasn't stretched or tore. It looked good. Now, I'm just waiting on my N110 to be delivered.

Got my N110. I measured out 30 grains to start with. Man, it looks minuscule in a BH209 tube....

Back