Limbsaver Nitro grind to fit pad on Traditions Vortek

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David270

Reaction score
Hollow butt stock, need to fill. Shape wood, glue, 2 screws in from off side. Thoughts please.

Hello D270,
I've used Limbsaver pads on guns ranging from my single shot slug gun to my Ultimate Firearms 50 Cal 40X (Okemos, Michigan).
Limbsaver offers an exceptional service for their excellent grind-to-fit pads to your stock. It behooves them to have the job done right. By the time all's said and done, the cost (including shipping) was what I consider very low for the expert service they provided (under $100 including pad and service then). The stocks I sent them came back quickly with excellent workmanship. Maybe it's changed (I doubt it, they seemed genuinely interested in customer service), but the folks at Limbsaver are are/were top-notch. Timing/costs MIGHT have changed given the 2020/2021 **** show (still) underway.
You might want to contact them directly.

Thanks Hausser1,
I searched and found I can use a 1x8, shape it to fit in the butt stock. Glue or cement in. That will give me something to screw the pad to. It won't look as good as Limbsaver would make it, but it will work fine for me.

I would strongly recommend having it done by a professional service.

As far as fill do you want to add weight or keep it light? Ill bet the service can direct you there also.

Good luck.

The following wasn't my idea, but it made sense so I tried it ...
I wasn't satisfied with the noisy/hollow sound and weight distribution on my Ruger American stock. Mixed airsoft BBs with a tube of rubber tub sealant, then spooned them into the stock cavity. I'd intermittently press the stuff down to help fill air gaps. Once cured, the sealant acts like a matrix which holds everything together and adhere to the inside walls of the plastic stock. You'll still need and endcap to screw the buttpad to

Maybe a pound, less than 2 for certain. Didn't measure. CG was brought back enough enough to greatly improve the balance (at least for me, ymmv).
Now if I bump it the noise is greatly dampened. Higher quality 'feel' for an inexpensive plastic brush beater. I still have 75% of the unused BBs if you're interested.
I'm in Livingston/Oakland county

I'm not adding weight. Paladin and I don't need more when at 10k' elevation.
The 1.5" limbsaver pad should cushion the firing of 350g of lead at 2100 fps.
I shaped some straight grain fir to fit snug in stock. Will do more in time.

Maybe a pound, less than 2 for certain. Didn't measure. CG was brought back enough enough to greatly improve the balance (at least for me, ymmv).
Now if I bump it the noise is greatly dampened. Higher quality 'feel' for an inexpensive plastic brush beater. I still have 75% of the unused BBs if you're interested.
I'm in Livingston/Oakland county
Ive been kickin around the idea of a laminate stock for my American. But fillin it may be a better option. I like the feel of it. Another 1# may be ok. Still would be lighter than a laminate i think.

I'm not adding weight. Paladin and I don't need more when at 10k' elevation.
The 1.5" limbsaver pad should cushion the firing of 350g of lead at 2100 fps.
I shaped some straight grain fir to fit snug in stock. Will do more in time.
Yeah adding weight can suk to lug around in the mntns. It can help with the recoil too, tho. Not much elevation here. I do prefer Limbsaver pads when i can get them.

To fill in the Hollow area of a composite butt stock you can used Expanding Spray foam, it won't add any real weight but will deaden the hollow sound. Be sure to cover the stock on the outside so any run over does not stick to it. If your careful you can fill a little at a time and leave about 1" below the end of the stock. Then sand the inside of that hollow butt with course grit sandpaper and fill with Devcon and once it cures you can remount the pad. You could also fill with Fiberglass. I have "Ground" Several pads and use a dremel with extended drum to do so since I don't have a large disk sander. You MUST keep things moving when grinding down because the rubber will heat up quick and start rolling up and you can end up with pits/tears in the rubber. Also get yourself a can of Pledge With Lemon Oil Furniture polish (It will say with Lemon Oil on the can if you get the right one) and spray it on the drum and on the pad. This version of Pledge is what Pachmayr Recommends. Also have a good sanding block to wrap some varying grits of paper around and lube with the pledge to Blend in the areas where the sanding leaves some ridges. I go down as much as 1000 grit to polish up the surface of the rubber that was sanded. Be sure to wrap the end of the stock with some Masking tape before you start and change it if you sand into it, to protect the finish on the stock.

This is a Pad I Ground for my cousin's shotgun.

Attachments

• 20160506_220635.jpg
    20160506_220635.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Concerns about lugging at elevation are certainly valid. The American was pretty light to begin with, now it comes up smooth with good purchase on my shoulder. The recoil is not as sharp. The little added weight is net positive for me (flat footed on flat farmland) with all things considered.

Latest posts

Back