Little Help with Info on Knight Magnum DISC .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muggles

Reaction score
My hunting partner accompanied me on my trip to the range with my new Arrowhead SML. He currently has a Knight .45 Cal DISC Rifle serial# 000711. Original Box says "Magnum DISC/SS/26"/.45/Fluted DISC 756C." He is currently shooting Triple 7 pellets and Red Hot bullets I believe. He wants to shoot a faster load and I mentioned to him about getting away from pellets and looking into BH209. Would he have to make modifications before using BH209? If so, what is recommended for mods and loads? Thanks for the assistance.

Is he using bare primers, Red FPJs, or the original Orange 209 carrier? Need to know this before making recommendations.

That is a Knight Super DISC 1-20 twist. Depending on which breech plug he has it would be a good move to swap out to a Lehigh "Bare Primer" setup and go to BH if he chooses. Even loose T7 would be better than pellets.

He would need to get a Bare Primer Breech plug and Vent liner(s), and a primer adapter, If he has the older Orange Jacket system then he would have to change bolt housings - Even his old 'C' tool hammer assembly would work in a new FPJ bolt if he would need to do that.

Wonder what weight bullet he is shooting???

Thanks guys, will pass info to him and see if I can't gather some better information.

Sportsmans Warehouse did have the Extreme bolt conversion and bolt bodies cheaper than ive seen anywhere.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-jacket-muzzleloader-conversion-kit/p/1508879
This bolt body should fit even though its for Mountaineer/ULs but the plugs wont.

FPJ version that will need the $14 adapter
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...arts/knight-ultra-lite-fpj-conv-kit/p/1508872
Bare primer version that wont need the adapter but i actually like the adapter better.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-parts/knight-mountaineer-209-conv-k/p/p62025

GM54-120~ Is there something that your preference the Knight over the Lehigh Defense Kit? Thank you for taking the time and effort to share.

Appreciate everyone that shared their knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
FNG - I can not speak for GM, but in my mind the Lehigh parts are better! The are made from 17-4 stainless versus 416 stainless that Knight uses. Plus the 'vent liners' are removable and replaceable. Knight can not offer that part because it could be a patent infringement.

And for myself also, confirming, I really do prefer the FPJ bolt and primer adapter better than the Knight 'Bare Primer' bolt that you need to feed the primer into rails on the nose of the bolt. With the adapter just just drop the primer in.

Lehigh Bare Primer conversion

Lehigh_Conversion.jpg

This is the bolt with the primer adapter installed and a primer dropped into the adapter

IMG-1221.jpg

This is the Knight Bare Primer bolt with the rails on the nose of the bolt to slide the primer into,

Mount-Bolt-Nose.jpg

I find it easier to load the Lehigh NonFPJ adapter vs using the Knight bare primer bolt. There are ways around this but dropping a primer in the adapter is rather easy. The Lehigh plug is easily superior 17-4 SS and removable vent liner.

I am in need of something to tinker with soo I will ask the question I'm sure many have asked.
How does the Lehigh system work when compared to the FPJ? I am using the FPJ's and l like them for ease of reloading. Is the Lehigh system as easy to load? Anyone have some photos or a video showing how this system works in action?

Get the Lehigh Breechplug and Adapter. It is a way better system than the Red FPJ. No more fouling in the Action. Bestill also offers another option.

Get the Lehigh Breechplug and Adapter. It is a way better system than the Red FPJ. No more fouling in the Action. Bestill also offers another option.
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at them but I am unsure how they work. Does the primer just drop into the adapter? Or do they need to be loaded into the adapter then placed in the action? Do the primers have a tendency to get stuck in the breech plug? If so does the bolt/adapter have an extraction feature?

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at them but I am unsure how they work. Does the primer just drop into the adapter? Or do they need to be loaded into the adapter then placed in the action? Do the primers have a tendency to get stuck in the breech plug? If so does the bolt/adapter have an extraction feature?

You remove the FPJ bolt and place the primer adapter into the bolt nose

[
IMG-0002.jpg

Then with the bolt installed and pull back - drop the primer in the opening

IMG-1221.jpg

Close the bolt to insert the primer in the breech plug. Really a simple quick operation.

Alter the shot the open and bring the bolt pull it back and tip out the spent primer....

Next - depending on what primer you use you may have to shim the primer port in the BP to maintain a clean breech.

Look through this thread as to how to perform the shimming operation.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/shimming-the-209-primer-pocket-updated-4-7-16.28388/
If you have any questions come back and ask - many of us have done this operation.

With the bolt removed from the rifle, the adapter just drops into the nose of the bolt. It'll only go in one way. Reinstall the bolt into the rifle. Done. To load a 209 primer just pull back the bolt and drop in the primer, close the bolt. Fire it. Pull back the bolt, and tip the gun over onto it's right side and the primer will fall right out. So easy even I can do it. Then like Sabotloader said, you may want to shim it to stop the blow by into the brech.

On my Bighorn the bare Primer would always get stuck and a removal tool was needed. It was a giant pain! Blow by was extreme, so you can see why I have questions/concerns. Thank you for all the information and the photos, really helps!

On my Bighorn the bare Primer would always get stuck and a removal tool was needed. It was a giant pain! Blow by was extreme, so you can see why I have questions/concerns. Thank you for all the information and the photos, really helps!
Yep, i had the Knight bare primer bolt and primers just kept getting stuck in it. So I bought the fpj bolt and the Lehigh adapter. No more sticking primers. Apparently a tiny burr in the Knight bare primer bolt can cause it. I still havent taken a look at mine to find and fix it yet. A couple little shims in the primer pocket can fix the blow by if its a problem.

I have the Disc Elite now using the FPJ. I like the plastic jackets accept for the mess. I don't plan on changing Powder so will the new breech plug work with any powder?
I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I thought the information would be helpful to both parties.

I have the Disc Elite now using the FPJ. I like the plastic jackets accept for the mess. I don't plan on changing Powder so will the new breech plug work with any powder?
I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I thought the information would be helpful to both parties.

Yes the Lehigh 'Bare Primer' plug or even the Knight Bare Primer plug, built by Lehigh, will work with any BP or BP sub powder. The difference between the Lehigh plug and the Knight plug is:

Lehigh plug is 17-4 SS and the Knight Lehigh is 416 SS

Lehigh plug the vent liner is removable and replaceable and the Knight plug the vent liner is not removable or replaceable. With the Knight plug you can drill out the vent liner - re-tap the hole and install a removeable vent liner.

If you have the FPJ bolt handle you can order the Lehigh Primer Adapter:

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=258
The Breech Plug which does come with a Vent Liner. Vent liners can last up to 200 - 300 shots depending on which powder you use and the size of the powder load and projectile. Make sure you order the breech plug for a DISC not for a Mountaineer - ULite

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=259
Extra Vent Liners are also available.

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=282

I have an original Disc rifle that I converted to take the red FPJ 15+ years ago, and now I’ve taken the advice given in this thread and placed my order for the Lehigh breech plug and bolt adapter. I also have some large rifle primer adapters on the way.

Is it going to be safe to use Blackhorn in this rifle?

Back