Load Data needed for H322 and Hornady 225 gr. Bullets (.452 Diameter)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USN EOD

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and Ladies)

New to the website and new to SML's. I am looking for load information as described above. I ordered H4198 recently, but HP-38 was received. Until that is corrected, I have H322 and 225 gr Hornady SST's. Can anyone offer some SAFE, Accurate loads? Thanks in advance.

Dave Kimball

225gr SST? Do you mean a .452 225gr FTX?

H322 is rather slow for a 225gr bullet sabotless in a 45cal.

GM,
Yes, I am referring to the .452 225 gr bullet. I mention H322 because it is one of the powders I have on hand, until the H4198 arrives. If there are other “H” powders that can work with said bullet, please advise. Thanks.

I dont think you will be happy using H322 with that light of a bullet. Rise time to peak is just too slow and by the the time you cram enough powder in there you wont be able to burn it all. You would need to duplex it by using 10-15gr of a much faster powder first then some H322 on top of that. Even then its just not a very good option.

The 225gr FTX is also made for 45LC and at speed they are little grenades. Guys have tried them in CFs like 460S&W and they just wont hold together. I shoot them strictly for recreation around 2300fps.

Latest posts

Back