Load for BH 209 and 460gr No Excuses in .504?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rye_A

Reaction score
Is anyone shooting 460gr lead bullets with BH209 in your .504 White's rifle? If so, can you share how many grains of powder haver worked best for you?

As an aside, I will be using lubed wool wonder wads to avoid burning the base of the bullets.

Seal the bore with a polywad under the conical IF you got a Thunderbolt. Might need a poly then wool wad if they try to stick to the base of the conical. You also want the conical a bit tighter than is common for slip fit Whites. Avoid BH209 entirely in the other White models. Bad idea to use it in slamfire/plunger guns.

I would guess no more than 90gr by volume and probably better off around 80gr by volume.

I’m not looking to pick a fight or create issues, but out of curiosity why does Doc sell BH209 conversions for Whitetails if one shouldn’t use that powder? My rifle has an upgraded recoil lug (installed by Doc).

I’m not looking to pick a fight or create issues, but out of curiosity why does Doc sell BH209 conversions for Whitetails if one shouldn’t use that powder? My rifle has an upgraded recoil lug (installed by Doc).
Great question. I wonder the same thing. I would like to shoot bh209 in my s91. But everyone (except Doc) says it's dangerous.

Doc is a smart man we all know that . But even smart men make mistakes once in awhile. I agree with others BH is not recommended in anything other then a tbolt.

The 209 PRIMER conversion was not meant for BH 209 powder. IMO, If your rifle/breech plug is not designed to shot BH, don't do it. If you shoot BH out of your slam fire White, you are taking the chance of gas cutting/rapid flash hole erosion/hammer damage. Just remember, when Doc makes a mistake, he has parts.

I have been trying to buy(find) a Tbolt for a long time. I may never find a .451 in my price range tho. My Knights have been a good substitute in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back