loaders and such

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drax05

Reaction score
shooting smoothe bores since early 60's, always looking for a handy and speedy way to load/reload, and hanging a shooting pouch, horn, and shot snake, just doesn't work too well in my south east hunting environment. The understory will latch on to anything you have hanging about you. I used various paper cartridge combinations etc. Tried the plastic loaders but plastic (in my opinion) and flintlock just don't go together. Thats just me, your milage may vary... Anyhow, looking at old woodcuts of early 1500-1600's shooters, noticed the wooden "collar" powder holders, sometime later called the "apostles" I believe, that, and the idea of the modern powder/ball loaders such as TC made, I grabbed hold of a couple lengths of native cane while on a visit to north Alabama. This is the native cane, not the imported bamboo common around the coastal area. No one would know or care but me, but just the same, what I wanted to use. I cut the sections in a length that each end would hold my standard Turkey load of 90 gns. 2F and equivalent shot and take the inside length of the plugs. The cords go through "eyes" I made of either forged out steel or twisted rawhide. the two ends go through the top plug (powder end) and when pulled tighten up the plugs on both ends. As wild Turkey hunting is pretty much a one shot event for me, I only carry one or two in my pocket and/or strung around my neck and tucked in my shirt/jacket, out of the way. I carry cards in my pocket and eliminate the wad if I have to load a second time. The pattern board showed 5 or so cards gave the same shot pattern as using the wads. Just using the cards simplifies things for me. Depending on which part of my hunting lease i'm on, i may carry a ball puller and worm so I can pull out the overshot card, dump the shot, load a 12 ga. ball and replace the card due to the possibility of running into hogs that are doing their best to destroy the dirt roads to my fields. Anyhow, thought someone else may want to try this way. As I said, shooting BP since 60's have about tried everything and this is what has worked for me the last few years.

IMG_0451.jpg

For deer hunting with either my percussion gun or flint lock, I carry this pocket loader I made. It has two powder tubes, holes for two patched round balls (that's all I shoot) a short starter, and a leather sleeve to hole percussion caps or my flint brush & pick.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 5
shooting smoothe bores since early 60's, always looking for a handy and speedy way to load/reload, and hanging a shooting pouch, horn, and shot snake, just doesn't work too well in my south east hunting environment. The understory will latch on to anything you have hanging about you. I used various paper cartridge combinations etc. Tried the plastic loaders but plastic (in my opinion) and flintlock just don't go together. Thats just me, your milage may vary... Anyhow, looking at old woodcuts of early 1500-1600's shooters, noticed the wooden "collar" powder holders, sometime later called the "apostles" I believe, that, and the idea of the modern powder/ball loaders such as TC made, I grabbed hold of a couple lengths of native cane while on a visit to north Alabama. This is the native cane, not the imported bamboo common around the coastal area. No one would know or care but me, but just the same, what I wanted to use. I cut the sections in a length that each end would hold my standard Turkey load of 90 gns. 2F and equivalent shot and take the inside length of the plugs. The cords go through "eyes" I made of either forged out steel or twisted rawhide. the two ends go through the top plug (powder end) and when pulled tighten up the plugs on both ends. As wild Turkey hunting is pretty much a one shot event for me, I only carry one or two in my pocket and/or strung around my neck and tucked in my shirt/jacket, out of the way. I carry cards in my pocket and eliminate the wad if I have to load a second time. The pattern board showed 5 or so cards gave the same shot pattern as using the wads. Just using the cards simplifies things for me. Depending on which part of my hunting lease i'm on, i may carry a ball puller and worm so I can pull out the overshot card, dump the shot, load a 12 ga. ball and replace the card due to the possibility of running into hogs that are doing their best to destroy the dirt roads to my fields. Anyhow, thought someone else may want to try this way. As I said, shooting BP since 60's have about tried everything and this is what has worked for me the last few years.

View attachment 4022
Do you ever make any to sell ?

nope, but they are not hard to make, I have to sketch one up for a magazine article later, will try to remember to post sketch here. Again, any bamboo will do, I just wanted to use what was native to this area at the time one would have used it.

If you make one of these or two, wrap both ends as they will eventually split. Coat/cover with spar varnish. I've used cord and leather string. Lead in bottom as it goes in last. Pulling the two top ends tightens up both end plugs. I can pull top plug with my teeth with no trouble, the two "eyes" keep the plugs from getting lost and holds it all together. Plugs should fit snug, not too tight. I've not had the shot plug fall out on its own as the line tension pretty well snug it up till I pull it. Fun to make and useful for me.
IMG_0570.JPG

Back