loads for knight lk-93

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat

Reaction score
having trouble staying on a pie plate at 50 yards with this knght. shooting 2f 777 and 240gr saboted xtp. tried everything from 120gr down to 80. i have a 3-9 TC scope on it thats brand new. i'm going to double check the mounts but i know they are tight.
this is only the 2nd time i shot it. the first time i was low on sabots but my last 2 shots (after backing the load from 100 down to 90) touched at 100 yards. today it was all over.
anyone shoot one of these? what are you using in it?

First off let me welcome you to the form , it is good to have you here with us.

Is this the only bullet sabot combo that you have tried in this gun? If so you may want to get 3 or 4 differant kinds of Bullets to try in it , some times a rikle just dos'nt like a certin bullet or a certin sabot . I would try somw 250gr & 300gr shockwaves with the reg black sabot not the superglide sabots. I find that most all my Knights like the shockwaves and the 300gr .44cal .430 XTPs with a harvester Green Crush rib sabot with 90gr of 2fg 777 . it could be that your rifle just don't like the combo you are feeding it. Also if the nipple has not been replaced for a while you may want to change that out also as the fire chanle will become to burnt out.

the nipple has never been replaced as the gun only has about 40 shots threw it.
it is the only bullet i have tried. i had a bunch of them.
i'll try the shock waves next. or the heaveier xtp. where do you get your supplies? i have walmart and thats about it.

The LK-93 is a short barrel Wolverine. They do not do well with LARGE powder charges. 80-90 grains is where mine likes to be. I was shooting mine yesterday at 50 yards, and while they were not touching, for throwing a 2.5X scope on it, it did great.

My favorite loads are .44 caliber .430 diameter 300 grain Hornady XTP in a green crushed rib sabot. It also shoots 240 grain XTP's with 80 grains of powder. 80 grains of powder is plenty of juice for hunting whitetail deer.

Other things it shoots are Saber Tooth conicals, buffalo bullet 270 grain ballets, even round ball if you drop the powder charge down to 50 grains.

All you can do is try different things. Being that new, you might just have to shoot a little to break the rifle in and then suddenly it will all come around. My post from yesterday is on this forum about a Simmons 2.5 scope. It might give you some ideas...

Good luck with the rifle. That is a great rifle.

All you can do is try different things. Being that new, you might just have to shoot a little to break the rifle in and then suddenly it will all come around.

I'm sorry I didn't know it was a new rifle , AS dave mentiond it may just take some time to break her in.

I would start out about 70 - 80gr of powder and work my way up in 5gr incraments untill you see your shots starting to hold a tight pattern also

also try shooting some Conicals threw it to help break that new barrle in, when I get a new gun this is the first thing I do.

Alot of us get our supplys from differant places.
This is one that I use for my Harvester Crush Rib Sabots , ( Great Service )

www.midsouthshooters.com

ron

I just bought some .430 300 grain Hornady XTP's and some 10mm 200 grain XTP's from Natchess.com as they have pretty good bulk bullet prices. They also sell the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. So you can get the whole works, pay one shipping fee (which is getting crazy) and they ship fast and are well tracked...

Midsouth Shooters Supply, and Midway USA are also good stores to buy from. Graf's & Sons is where I buy my bulk powder as they sell Graf's & Sons black powder and it is cheaper then Goex, and works real good in all my rifles. It might be a little more dirty, but I was shooting it yesterday out of my Wolverine and it worked just fine and swabbed real easy....

Knight's

I don't know how familar you are with muzzleloaders so I will just go ahead and say this but if you have not cleaned it out good your nipple may be closed up . On the 209 cap side the hole useally has to be drilled out by hand [not a power drill] The cap side is .125 and the powder side is about .030, use a torch cleaner. closed down it can affect accuracy. Check all bolts and screws for tightness. Try another scope , they can fool you
Wayles

I went out today with a bunch of different projectiles and some Graf's & Sons 2f black powder to see if I could shake that cheap scope apart. I was only shooting 85 grains of powder today.

I started with the (green) Saber Tooth Conicals in 300 grain. I fowled the rifle first, then swabbed. I then loaded the Saber Tooth conicals that loads very nice and does not shake off the load. My first shot hit right above the center of the X and I was pleased. So without swabbing I loaded the next. I noticed this one did not load as nice. Also it was my last one in the pack. Well it still hit higher in the general area, but it was alright.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and loaded the .44 caliber .430 diameter 300 grain Hornady XTP in a green crushed rib sabot (blue). I was swabbing between shots. And like yesterday, they were hitting a little high and to the right.

So I then adjusted the scope down (but not to the left yet) and swabbed the barrel clean. I then loaded some 375 grain Spitzer tip Buffalo Bullet SSB's (yellow). With that 85 grains of powder they had some definite power and they shot really well. I was surprised.

So I then adjusted for the wind and moved the POA over to the left a little too much maybe. I loaded the 200 grain Hornady 10mm XTP's in blue MMP sabots (red). These things shot much better then in my Disc rifle. Maybe the trick to them is not to push them too fast.

To end the day, and since the rifle was really filthy from all the black powder.. I loaded some .44 caliber 240 grain Hornady XTP in the green crushed rib sabots. I then shot them and swabbed every other shot.

Its is amazing what swabbing does for accuracy, but to be honest, I would be willing to hunt with this rifle tomorrow. It is a very easy to shoot and handle little rifle...

wolverine006a.jpg

Re: Knight's

wayles said:
I don't know how familar you are with muzzleloaders so I will just go ahead and say this but if you have not cleaned it out good your nipple may be closed up . On the 209 cap side the hole useally has to be drilled out by hand [not a power drill] The cap side is .125 and the powder side is about .030, use a torch cleaner. closed down it can affect accuracy. Check all bolts and screws for tightness. Try another scope , they can fool you
Wayles

mine has the percussion nipple not 209. i'm not new to muzzle loaders by any means but it is my first inline. i always shot flinters and to tell you the truth any one i ever owned would do better that this thing is at present time.
i'm going to get some other bullets and sabots and see what happens. i wasn't aware that dirrent sabots made a differance or that there was even options. just that the green was 44 and black 45.
so i'm learning and i guess i'll find something that works eventually.
i'mused to being able to shoot a 2in group and 40 yards with an open sight flinter. so i expected to be about to do the same with a 3-9 scope in a modern style gun.
what should i be able to expect at 100 yards from this gun with the right load? i was hoping to get at least a fist sized group.

240XTPSighron1.jpg

This was shooting my Wolverine at 100 yards. I had mounted a new scope on the rifle (which I just had to replace) and the bottom hits are the first group, after that I got it tuned.

It will shoot a fist size group I believe with little doubt.

Knight's

Bob cat
Most knights will shoot from 1in to 2 inch groups after you find the right combo. A load that works well in my TC encore .50 cal is 110 gr of BH 209 and a 250 shock wave with a short black harvester sabot. My knight is a .45 cal and astounds me with its accuracy. Knight is a good brand and should shoot better than the results your getting. Something is amiss with your set up. Loose , broke ,bad scope . Go over all parts good. Try the 250 grain shock wave or sst with 100 to 120 grain in 10 grain increaments . The breech plug must be cleaned after 20 or 30 shots. Loosen and retighten the breech plug after 10 shots or they can freeze up on you. If you shoot a rock lock your obviously a shooter. This stuff i,m throwin out is because you said you were not familiar with the inlines . Just trying to keep you from makin the same mistakes i did when i added inlines to my tc reagade several years ago

thanks guys. it will be a week or so before i get at it agian. i'll let you guys know what i figured out. i guess its like anything else. not hard just gotta go through the learning curve. you guys saved me alot of "learning".
thanks
jim

Cayuga,
it looks like yours really likes the 240 xtp. maybe i should go to 3 f? i'm using 2f 777.

Stick with the 2f in Triple Se7en when shooting conicals. Remember T-7 is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS or Black Powder. Also I would get some .430 diameter 300 grain XTPs in a crushed rib sabot, and some 240 grain T/C Mag Express with the black sabots. They normally always shoot really good out of the Wolverine.

This new 2.5 scope I threw on mine is really a fun scope to shoot. Not much magnification but it does act as a good aim point. I was surprised it shot the big heavy Buffalo Bullets so well... make a heck of a deer or even an elk load if the need was there.

i was reading the "book" that mine came with and it says not to shoot the maxi or buffalo syle. in other words nothing without a sabot because they may slide in the barrel.

I shoot conicals all the time out of my rifles. If you have any doubts of their ability to hold, try and shake them off the load. Load them, drop your ramrod down the bore, and with a piece of masking tape, mark on the ramrod where your muzzle edge is. That's called a Witness mark.

Then turn the rifle upside down and shake the devil out of it if you like. Act like you are moving through the woods. With the muzzle pointed down. After a short shake, check the bullet with the ramrod. If the witness mark is still in the same place, your safe to shoot that conical.

90 grs of FFg 777, 250gr T/C Shockwave in a superglide sabot lit with a RWS 1075+ cap produces sub MOA groups from my LK-93.

Back