Loads for lighter weight bullets (185 & 225) in 50 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLP

Reaction score
Hello: Has anyone tried using lighter .45 cal bullets with sabots for 50 cal rifles? I was looking at bullets intended for .45 ACP or .45 Colt in the 185-225 gr. range. Does anyone have load combinations they tried? Thanks.

Cutting edge,,160 gr.45x50,,black plastic tip,, shot very well out of a 28 twist CVA accura ,,devastating on deer to 150 yards,, very light recoil I don't know if anyone else has tried

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try when the weather will allow shooting groups.

One of the deer that I shot with this bullet at about 80 yards when I walked up to her there was a parachute shaped pie shaped trail blanket of blood that spread out about 5 yards in front of her I've never seen anything like that in my life she blew it out of her mouth and nose while she was expiring it was pretty cool,, instead of a blood trail it was a blood blanket

If I were going that light it would only be with a Barnes or similar so that I maintained all of the weight to punch an exit.

Had a friend that loved shooting the 200 XTP .45, but the bullet always came apart and never had an exit. He said that he had to be extremely picky on shot placement not to hit the shoulder at all, but the deer never went far.

I am more of a fan of using a monolithic or a heavy-for-caliber cup and core bullet and being able to take whatever shot I'm given (except a Texas heart shot).

I would not shoot a deer in the shoulder with that little bullet from cutting edge either ,,a lot of bullets I try to be very aware of where I'm placing them related to how the bullet is constructed,, as I've gotten older I've become much more concerned about bullet placement ,if I don't have a shot to put the bullet exactly where I think it's going to hit I usually just won't take the shot,, and yes I used to be in the put a bullet in the boiler room and get out of the stand and go look for the deer group,, I must admit this though there's certainly a possibility of buck fever consuming me to the point of just putting the crosshairs in the center of the shoulder and pulling the trigger I sure try to avoid that though even when I'm freaking out like that. I personally like a high shoulder shot,, and if the deer is close to me I'll take a throat or a headshot. Smaller 45 cal bullets like that little cutting edge bullet I mentioned and some of the smaller pistol bullets I think if placed behind the shoulder and ranges that are 125 yards or closer I think they're going to perform very well and they're sure much more comfortable loads to shoot or a great bullets to let your teenager or wife try

Latest posts

Back