Long range percussion rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the information and experience good sir!

I think I’ll take your word for it and ‘shoot’ for the Lyman Great Plains Hunter!

Speaking of barrels, I do have a Follow up question..

I understand that barrels come in a variety of diameters and shapes... would it be possible to swap calibers assuming the barrel remains the same diameter?

I’m also curious as to what the various tapering options have to offer in terms of performance, as well as a completely round barrel versus the hexagonal barrels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baccummba said:
I appreciate the information and experience good sir!

I think I’ll take your word for it and ‘shoot’ for the Lyman Great Plains Hunter!

Speaking of barrels, I do have a Follow up question..

I understand that barrels come in a variety of diameters and shapes... would it be possible to swap calibers assuming the barrel remains the same diameter?

I’m also curious as to what the various tapering options have to offer in terms of performance, as well as a completely round barrel versus the hexagonal barrels?

You sure CAN Swap barrels with The Lyman :yeah: I plan on getting a .50 Cal “Hunter” barrel for mine, I REALLY wish they would make a 1:32 Twist .45 Cal “Hunter” barrel for the Lyman GP! I have even thought about getting a Roundball Barrel as well, but then i think better about it :lol:

Your other question about Barrel tapering options and performance? I don’t Think there is any Performance edge from 1 to the other? It's a look thing. I have read about “Swamped” The claim is they handle better off hand? I have no hands on experience with a Swamped Barrel, But i do own both Octagon and Round, To me it’s a Look thing, I prefer the looks of Octagon with a Sidelock Muzzleloader.

Idaholewis said:
GM54-120 said:
Pedersoli does have a couple other fast twist 45s that are cheaper than the Gibbs such as the Tryon. Those will still cost you $1200 or more.

You might check with Doc White and see what he has in Sporting Rifles atm. They are not cheap either but cost less than a Gibbs.
http://whitemuzzleloading.com/sporting-rifle/

GM54, I remember we talked about this awhile back (Available Fast Twists) and it seemed like you posted a link to a Fast Twist Sidelock That Pedersoli makes for Cabelas?

It is a Hawkens Hunter 50cal in 1-24. Cabelas offers them but its not exclusive to them. It was somewhere in the $600-$650 range.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pederso ... 319081.uts

Thanks GM54! I remember looking at this Rifle Quite some time ago, BACO was starting to carry Pedersoli so i asked about this Particular Gun, Price, and availability? I never got an answer, and I didn’t pursue it since i had several fast twist Sidelocks.

I wish someone had some “Hands On” experience with this Particular Rifle, In my opinion this one looks about as perfect as it gets for a Serious Hunting Sidelock, They put some thought in this one for the Hunter! From the Recoil pad, to the Sight setup, this one has SERIOUS “Hunt” written all over it :yeah:

Thanks for the find GM54! I don’t know how I
missed this in my ‘research’. I’m happy to see I have some options here!

Idaholewis before too long I just may be able to provide the first hand experience you’re looking for [emoji6][emoji1303]

Baccummba said:
Morning community,

After watching some CapAndBall videos on YouTube and clicking around on this forum, I’ve become interested in the field of Long Range Muzzleloading. So that should give you a rough idea of my current knowledge of muzzleloading (I.e. basics, and random fine details).

My question, as the subject line implies, what would be a solid target entry level target percussion rifle to purchase? Is there any options that are below the $1k mark? Would it be more cost effective to piece one together?
Also it’s worth noting that I’d like to be able to take this hunting and that I have no muzzleloading supplies so those would also need to be purchased.

I’ve ran a few searches here and haven’t had much luck finding a newbie thread with these specifics. If I’ve overlooked feel free to direct me there. Thanks in advance!

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold with their black crushed rib sabot. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion. If you are going after elk I’d suggest a heavier bullet.

Idaholewis said:
Thanks GM54! I remember looking at this Rifle Quite some time ago, BACO was starting to carry Pedersoli so i asked about this Particular Gun, Price, and availability? I never got an answer, and I didn’t pursue it since i had several fast twist Sidelocks.

I wish someone had some “Hands On” experience with this Particular Rifle, In my opinion this one looks about as perfect as it gets for a Serious Hunting Sidelock, They put some thought in this one for the Hunter! From the Recoil pad, to the Sight setup, this one has SERIOUS “Hunt” written all over it :yeah:
I’ve had one of the Pedersolis since they first came out . Don’t shoot it much just cause I am a .45 cal kinda person. I should spend more time with it .

Got mine from Dixie Gun Works
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... L+WO+PATCH

Attachments

• 1E6E6E48-294F-4003-912E-5AEE80A32864.jpeg
    1E6E6E48-294F-4003-912E-5AEE80A32864.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 402AA594-14D6-4759-AC68-27883EAF8790.jpeg
    402AA594-14D6-4759-AC68-27883EAF8790.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 39FB8995-6070-4A9F-A13E-6964CCD0ACE7.jpeg
    39FB8995-6070-4A9F-A13E-6964CCD0ACE7.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 102
How does that Rifle Shoot Chet? This one has interested me for a long time! At least Now i can say I know of someone that has one :yeah: I bet i have several Bullets that Rifle would like :D Do you know the actual Bore Diameter?

Idaholewis said:
How does that Rifle Shoot Chet? This one has interested me for a long time! At least Now i can say I know of someone that has one :yeah: I bet i have several Bullets that Rifle would like :D Do you know the actual Bore Diameter?
Shoots good considering my eyes . I size the bullets to .499 and they are a snug slip fit so my guess is the bore is pretty close to .500 on mine
I have only tried 460 and 488 bullshops in it but it is very accurate at 100 yards with those bullets and 70 to 75 gr powder . I haven’t experimented much with it so I don’t really know what it’s capable of if a person really tried. I might take it out again soon just for the heck of it and see .

edmehlig said:
Chet, maybe you should send it to Lew "IdahoLewis" and see what he can do with it. GRIN

If i was in need of 50 Cal i would bug him about selling it to me, or Buy a twin to it :yeah: I bet my 485 Grain bullet would REALLY shoot in that Rifle, these Cupped Base PP 450s from BACO, And My Bullshop bullet. It is tough on me to shoot a Bead sight anymore, i have become so accustomed to these Globe Front sights with Circle inserts matched to a Bull, Installing a 17 Globe is one of the first things i do to a new Rifle. I need to start shooting my Shavers Bead for our upcoming Elk hunt

Latest posts

Back