Long range portable benches question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
It appears that in some long range target matches, that most shoot prone. However how may shooters use a portable shooting bench and front rest at these matches? Is it difficult to use a portable bench in the matches?

I have a Caldwell portable bench that works great. I replaced plastic top with1" plywood. Can use a front adjustable rest and no rear contact with bench. I usually shoot prone but bench is no problem.

That is definitely a option. I almost did same thing. But found Caldwell Stable Table on sale for $170 and very adjustable for uneven ground and heights for different shooters.

bestill said:
That is definitely a option. I almost did same thing. But found Caldwell Stable Table on sale for $170 and very adjustable for uneven ground and heights for different shooters.

I'll google that table..... :lol:

Da'gone! 65#???? You ever use that at Friendship?

bestill said:
Yes and disassembles into small pieces

I like the attached seat idea. How close can you get to the range with a vehicle or, is it better to have a cart? How much time in the match do you have to setup?

You can back truck rite up to covered range and come early to setup and usually plenty time between relays to setup or skip a relay and shoot next really.

ENCORE50A said:
It appears that in some long range target matches, that most shoot prone. However how may shooters use a portable shooting bench and front rest at these matches? Is it difficult to use a portable bench in the matches?
ENCORE50A,
It sometimes depends on match rules. During the Nationals there is a 500 yd. re entry that has to be shot Prone, Oak Ridge is same , from prone , wrist rest, sling , cross sticks.
The May 2 Match is like bestill said , you can pull right up to firing line. Most shoot the Inline Match from a bench. There are very few in match that shoot prone.
What I call long Range is beyond 500 and at these Matches you can't use a Bench. Look up history of the first Creedmore match. The traditional Creedmore was shot this way and so all long range muzzle loading is copied from tradition.

What makes bench so easy at Friendship is the firing line. Most places you have to keep moving back in yardage, to another firing line. Friendship has just one line, and target is posted at distance you want to shoot

fivebull said:
ENCORE50A said:
ENCORE50A,
It sometimes depends on match rules. During the Nationals there is a 500 yd. re entry that has to be shot Prone, Oak Ridge is same , from prone , wrist rest, sling , cross sticks.
The May 2 Match is like bestill said , you can pull right up to firing line. Most shoot the Inline Match from a bench. There are very few in match that shoot prone.
What I call long Range is beyond 500 and at these Matches you can't use a Bench. Look up history of the first Creedmore match. The traditional Creedmore was shot this way and so all long range muzzle loading is copied from tradition.

For the May 2nd match, do you use your own bench or are the benches already there?

you use your own bench. the target side of match , once you set your bench, you will shoot 50, 100 , 200, before we move to the animals, then everyone will move.

You have to bring your own bench if you want to use one, other wise you can shoot from a mat and cross sticks.

fivebull said:
you use your own bench. the target side of match , once you set your bench, you will shoot 50, 100 , 200, before we move to the animals, then everyone will move.

How far is the move from targets to the animals? Is it easy to move equipment and a portable bench?

The move on firing line is probably no more than 100'

To make my long range target shooting, sighting in, and target practice with any weapon i designed and made a portable bench to mount the lead sled. It's the best decision in shooting ever for me.
Recently I made a bullseye at 115 yards with my crossbow from it.

20200804_180517.jpg

Back