Looking at a new muzzle loader.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat_trapper

Reaction score
Hi thanks for letting me join. I have shot a Remington 700 50 cal for yrs. Was looking at few new one's. I have been looking at CVA's optima v2 ss edge 50 cal 26 inch barrel combo. Other is the optima v2 50 cal LR 28 inch barrel combo. I live in Northern Arkansas. I hunt alot in the Ozark National Forest. Hogs are taking over. Most of my shots are 150 yds or less. I have a bunch of Remington 50 cal 44 cal jhp sabots . And will be trying hornady 250 gr sst sabots. Only powder i have on hand is 2 unopened jugs triple 7 lose powder. 209 primers isnt an issue. I reload 410, 28, 20, and 12 ga ammo. Could a person use up the 150 gr in either rifle? More than likely i use 100 gr or 110 gr powder. Thank

Last edited:
Welcome from Oklahoma.
I'd go with the shorter barrel but that's just me.
I only ever owned one magnum rifle and found that 150 grains of powder didn't work good in it.
I think your best load would be something like 80 to 100 grains maybe even to 110.

Welcome bobcat. The difference in barrel length between the two is a minimal difference. I would buy the V2 with the shorter barrel. Buy a good scope and you'd be ready to go. The one piece mount on the gun works fine. I'm a Leupold man myself. My Optima V2 is a great shooter. I shoot the Thor 300 grn full bore bullet when I hunt and Hornady xtp's at the range.

The Optima with the shorter barrel is a fine hunting gun. While it'll handle the max load just fine I think you'll come to realize that charges between 90 grains and 110 grains by volume are plenty for hogs and deer but are also going to off the best accuracy.

And welcome aboard!

Thank ya. The difference in price between the 2 is 38.00. I thought for the price the LR would be the better buy. I just want one to last like the 700 50 cal did and shoot's good. Would i get better accuracy with buckhorn? Not a big fan of pellets. I am going next yr for antelope and deer hunt hopefully. The Remington 50 cal sabots i have are the older ones. Thanks

If you can find it I prefer the blackhorn powder, but really the T7 granular will shoot just as well but you will have the infamous crud ring to deal with. While its not a super big deal at the range it can be a headache in the field on second shots. My self I'd go way out of my way to get the Blackhorn, then get three of four jugs when you locate it.

Bullet-wise, I shoot a 250 grain XPB Barnes in a black sabot with 77 weighed grains of Blackhorn into 3/4" clover-leafs all day with my Accura V2. A .44 cal 240 grain XTP does likewise with the same charge and a green sabot. Very little shooting/performance difference between an Accura V2 and an Optima V2, either one.

If i goto the blackhorn powder. I will have to buy the blackhorn breech plug? Only difference in the 2 models. The LR has 28 inch to a 26 inch barrel and the coating finish.

The blackhorn powder needs the blackhorn plug to give reliable ignition.

I was watching a video on cva website. It said if u use loose powder. They suggest using the buckhorn breech plug.

I've done plenty of T7 thru the factory original plug without issue, but the Blackhorn will get very temperature sensitive when the temps drop. Since I don't do any kind of pellets in my guns I just leave the Blackhorn friendly plugs in regardless of what granulated I happen to shoot. You indicate that you have plenty of the 209 shotshell primers so be sure to use those. If you're going to pick up a 209 plug, I suggest looking into getting one that is fitted with the removable vent liner and pick up a couple extra liners at the same time. As plugs get shot the fire hole [small hole at the powder end] will erode and after that small hole gets just so big the accuracy will go to pot. Replace that liner and you'll be right back on track. I just replaced the liners in my Accura and my Optima pistol's plugs.

My Optima shoots loose 777 2f just fine with the standard B plug and Fed 209s. I tried with Blackhorn and I got misfires, so put my BH plug on and no problems with BH or 777.
Lehigh makes an even better Breech plug for BH with replaceable vent liners.

I am used to have the old Remington 700 50 cal. This buckhorn breech plug and liners are new too me. I was reading some reviews on hornady 50 cal 250gr sst sabots. Some say it makes a small hole going in and coming out. I reload the sst in my 25 06, 280 and 7 mm mag. Never had any issues. I like the older Remington 50 cal 240 or 260 gr jhp sabots. I bought 5000 209 cheddite primers to use in my 28ga reloading. I will use my CCI 209 primers for my muzzle loading.

Latest posts

Back