Looking for .409/.410 GC 400gr bullets and .40-82 load data.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TammyM

Reaction score
I need to find a source for 400gr .409/.410 gas checked lead/tin alloy bullets. I live in a small apartment now and my casting gear is in storage. I also need loading data for a 400gr cast bullet in my .40-82 (Dave Higginbotham/Lone Star chamber) '74 Sharps with AA 5744 and also Blackhorn 209 powders.
TammyM

I used BH209 in my 50/70 trapdoor. In concept, I replaced the black powder by volume with 209. In practice, I determine with a little trial and error combined with eyeball guestimation how much powder will fill the case to the base of the bullet. The base of bullet touching the powder gently. I dont want air space. I also dont want to compress the 209 and break any of the rings. You need to maintain the little donut with the coating in tact. I did not use a gas check bullet. I purchased bullets of 1:20 lead and SPG lube from Buffalo Arms. I see a .410 400 grain bullet listed, suitable for BP or equivalent. No gas check. They may carry others if you look.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/410-400...st-bullets-20-1-spg-lube-box-of-50-410663-410

Last edited:
Which sub-forum is the "CF" forum?
I'll try calling Western, all their published data is for the lighter express bullet loads for lever guns.
My mold I was using for BPCR pre-2004 in my .40-65 C.Sharps Highwall was a 400gr Brooks Snover. and I want to be able to purchase and load similar cast bullets for the .40-82

Which sub-forum is the "CF" forum?
I'll try calling Western, all their published data is for the lighter express bullet loads for lever guns.
My mold I was using for BPCR pre-2004 in my .40-65 C.Sharps Highwall was a 400gr Brooks Snover. and I want to be able to purchase and load similar cast bullets for the .40-82
Also check into the casting section.
And welcome to the forum

Latest posts

Back