Looking for a 5/16 X 24 musket nipple. . .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offshore

Reaction score
I recently received a "new to me" .45 cal T/C Hawken. This rifle has needed A LOT of work, but I'm about ready to take her to the range. I've had to replace the standard 1/4X28 T/C nipple with a 5/16x24 thread size due to the threads being narly-nasty. My problem is, I need a shorter nipple than what I currently have. The Treso Ampco nipple I was going to use is .753 long and does not allow the hammer to come into half cock nor does it totally clear the nipple head. A foctory T/C 1/4x28 musket nipple measures .582 in length and would work perfectly, if it were the correct thread size. Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works has a pretty good selection, but everything listed is long. I was hoping some of you good folks could tell me where I would be able to purchase a nipple that will work for me? I would like to use a musket cap over a #11 cap. Thank you for any assistance you guys can provide.

you might five TOW a call and they might be able to steer you in the right direction to get one. They would more then likely know where to find one.

My Navy Arms Hawken Hunter uses that same Nipple, i have a few of them here, I know i have 1 in Musket. I get them From Buffalo Arms.

I just measured and mine is the Same .753-.754 Length When counting the Thread Journal (Entire nipple, end to end) You Shouldn’t Count the Thread Journal

Take this Measurement (Minus thread Journal) and See what you get? This is 1 of my New 5/16X24 Musket Nipples
qQVPv1cl.jpg

Offshore.
5/16 is the thread diameter of a typical musket Nipple.
1/4 - #11
You need a bastard nipple.
If you can’t find one, let me know - after Thanksgiving.

Is this that dial caliper?
https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Stainless-Caliper-Reloading/dp/B000KKB1XU

Ive got the Frankford digital version and while it works.....The battery has to be removed or its always dies and it rounds up from .0005 to .001. Damn thing always wants to start in mm too. :p

That sure looks like my Calipers, it’s gotta be :lewis: I have had these things for MANY years, I can’t even remember when I bought them? I use these Calipers almost Daily! I’d be lost without them :( I would ALWAYS Be questioning the Digital ones? Buffalo Arms has a Set of Digital for quick stuff out front, they seem ok? But I wouldn’t trade the Case that mine came in for them :p

Thanks guys for the replies. I went ahead and got "crafty" with my grinder and drill press. . .I made this rifle a custom set of six nipples. And they're real bastards alright - LOL!!! After, I decided to polish them with my dremmel, they look like they're factory made and they work perfectly. Mother Nature permitting, I may go test this rifle out and see if it can hold a group before I get to far into things with it. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back