Looking for a .58

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a .58 cal now for a while. However I want something that will shoot Maxis or Minnies. Everything I can find seems to have a slow or at least what I consider slow round ball twist. Is there anything out there current production that will shoot Maxis and Minnies or is the slow twist I'm finding going to work? Any help is appreciated.

I have been looking for a .58 cal now for a while. However I want something that will shoot Maxis or Minnies. Everything I can find seems to have a slow or at least what I consider slow round ball twist. Is there anything out there current production that will shoot Maxis and Minnies or is the slow twist I'm finding going to work? Any help is appreciated.
The slow twist is what you want for maxi/minnies or RB at least so says my Zoie/and (Hawken Bob Hoyt 1-60) rebore /Ed

A rifle musket would be a fine choice. I prefer the Enfields myself. Good hunting rifles! They were designed for being taken on long walks after all!
A minie ball is quite devastating on deer. I took 4 with my Euroarms P53.
I've been drooling over the Pedersolis myself. The 2 band rifle with its 1-48 twist...

I just picked up a nice (on the outside)TC Renegade 50 cal barrel. It's heading to Bobby Hoyt real soon to start its new life as a 58. Thinking 1-56 twist for mostly RB shooting....but I've been eyeing a 58 cal conical mold on Accurates sight. Its short and stubby and running through twist calculator 1-56 should shoot it well.

There is a gorgeous flint Jager for sale on Track of The Wolf in 58. It's pricey but it's damn nice! They also have one called a St. Louis Sporting Rifle in 58 that looks very nice as well.

Last edited:
In younger years I thought I needed .58 cal for hunting Roosevelt Elk. I will say the 620 grain Maxi balls over 100 grains of swiss Black churns up a bit of recoil. I was using an Investarms Hawkens with a 15/16 barrel 58 cal 1 in 48 twist a reasonable light rifle. Very effective on elk I never recovered one of those bullets, they always a pass thru double lung. I had a hard time getting some of the Maxi balls thru October country one year and started shooting some .575 round balls over 115 grains of Swiss black. That gun shot so well that my father commandeered it from me after he had open heart surgery and a pace maker installed. He could still shoot it comfortably and not compromise his pace maker.

lyman has a "Great Plains " rifle with 1 in 32 twist.

I have a Euroarms artillery carbine made in Italy And I have a T/C Big Bore I'd sell.
Nit Wit

I own a T/C Big Boar 58 cal, I paid $200 for it in CO back in early 90s. naw it's not for sale......BUT....
I saw last week on Gunbroker.com, a guy in Hawaii was selling one, very nice shape, it sold for $900 !!!!!!!!

I own a T/C Big Boar 58 cal, I paid $200 for it in CO back in early 90s. naw it's not for sale......BUT....
I saw last week on Gunbroker.com, a guy in Hawaii was selling one, very nice shape, it sold for $900 !!!!!!!!
It's crazy isn't it? Back in 1990 I was in a pawn shop in the town where i was attending college. The previous year I had scored a Parker Hale Whitworth repro at the same pawn shop for $185. Back then those PH rifles were $600 new. So I'm looking around and I see a side hammer ML'er on the rack and ask to see it. It was a T/C .58 Big Bore and the price was $150. I bought that one also. Still have both rifles. Those two guns would probably bring $2500 now.

Thanks all, update I purchased a T/C Big Bore off from Nit Wit. I have Goex 2F coming along with some Minnie and Maxi balls. Just need to find #11 caps somewhere local.

If you can't find any, maybe try ordering a magspark nipple and use 209 primers. I'm leaning that way now as we do not have any percussion caps in Anchorage.

I have a .58 Springfield Stalker by Navy Arms, I'd sell it.

Nit Wit

Back