Looking for a custom bullet die

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhunterken

Reaction score
Does anyone know where or who can cut me a custom Lee bullet sizing die? I'm looking to size bullets from .358 to .348 for my Winchester 71 Ackley Improved.

First off, .358 All the way down to .348 is a GIANT Step (Way to much in my Experience) You would be much better off in 2 Steps, like .353, then down to .358

Lee use to make Custom Bullet Sizers, but I don’t see that option anymore? You can try “Buckshot“ on the Castboolit Forum, he might have what you need in Old Stock? (He use to make them, i own several of his Push through sizers) If Buckshot doesn’t have what you need, Contact ”Ammohead” on the Same Forum (Castboolits) I believe he stil makes them?

I have been told that Tom Crone is another that makes them? Here is his Contact info, Found on the North-South Skirmish Association Forum

Tom Crone
6305 ED Crone Lane
Fredinck MD. 21703
( 301 ) 473-5699

First off, .358 All the way down to .348 is a GIANT Step (Way to much in my Experience) You would be much better off in 2 Steps, like .353, then down to .358

Lee use to make Custom Bullet Sizers, but I don’t see that option anymore? You can try “Buckshot“ on the Castboolit Forum, he might have what you need in Old Stock? (He use to make them, i own several of his Push through sizers) If Buckshot doesn’t have what you need, Contact ”Ammohead” on the Same Forum (Castboolits) I believe he stil makes them?

I have been told that Tom Crone is another that makes them? Here is his Contact info, Found on the North-South Skirmish Association Forum

Tom Crone
6305 ED Crone Lane
Fredinck MD. 21703
( 301 ) 473-5699

Tom Crone
6305 ED Crone Lane
Fredinck MD. 21703
( 301 ) 473-5699
Thank you Idaho. As usual you are just a wealth of information and knowledge.

Just my two cents but If I were you I'd get a mold cut that casts much closer to your desired final size. My friend Woodgoat says less is better when it comes to sizing and shooting "as cast" is better yet.

Just my two cents but If I were you I'd get a mold cut that casts much closer to your desired final size. My friend Woodgoat says less is better when it comes to sizing and shooting "as cast" is better yet.
I know that, looking to size jacketed bullets, not cast.

Not much jacket left. Why not just get the right bullet or maybe trade for them if you have too many of the larger size?

Not much jacket left. Why not just get the right bullet or maybe trade for them if you have too many of the larger size?
Ok, here's the deal. I'm shooting a 348 Winchester. Bullet selection in this caliber is slim at best, plus prices for them are through the roof. On the other hand . 358 bullets are many and varied, I can size bullets down and have a broader selection to choose from. I personally like the Hornady FTX in jacketed bullets but Hornady has discontinued them in . 348. I already do cast bullets, but prefer a jacketed bullet for hunting. Also jacketed bullets in . 358 are MUCH cheaper than the same bullets in . 348 diameter. I also own several rifles in 35 cal but I prefer to shoot my Winchester 71 in 348 Ackley Improved.

Tom Crone
6305 ED Crone Lane
Fredinck MD. 21703
( 301 ) 473-5699
Thanks again Lewis. Tom made me the 2 sizers as you recommended. I received them the other day and I can't wait to try them out. I have to add that Tom seems to be a great guy to work with and his work seems spot on.

Latest posts

Back