Looking for a new 45 ML, suggestions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, not new to the muzzle loading world but new to the site, (love to read the knowledge and info on here) I've been hunting with them for over 30 years, I own several but all in 50 cal. I've been looking for a 45 for a while, suggestions? Smokeless or BP? Whats your thoughts and favorite ML in 45, looking at new and older. Thanks for any help and Happy Thanksgiving!

My .451 Super 91 is my favorite go to deer killing muzzleloader. I take it out first every season for freezer filling.
If you can find any White in .451 I highly recommend them!
Just noticed this is the smokeless section. White's are not capable of smokeless powder! FYI

Last edited:
A smokeless capeable CVA Scout or Hunter brake action conversion can be had for 1k and under depending on what you need or want with the rifle. They are a very a easy 300+ yd shooter providing skills equal to the task.

I'm open to suggestions and wanting to hear what you guys like or dislike. Heck if someone has a nice 45 for sale, let me know.

Last edited:
I'm open to suggestions and wanting to hear what you guys like or dislike. Heck if someone has a nice 45 for sale, let me know.
If youre looking for a smokeless, no. But i do have a TC Black Diamond Super 45 XR that Im going to sell. Probably the best trigger of every gun that i have. Its currently a #11 setup. But i have a 209 conversion for it as well, unopened.

I've been hunting with a Savage 10ml lately and love the smokeless, and I have an old TC Renegade, an Encore Pro Hunter and another older inline TC, a Knight disc rifle and a LK93, A White White Lighning with the Wilson barrel and a Whitetail and I bought a CVA Accura V2 a few years ago. (haven;t hunted with it yet) I've been thinking about another Accura V2 LR in 45 but love to have a smokeless,

Last edited:
You can buy a 45 1-20 barrel for the DISC from Knight for about $350 shipped and Arrowheard has some MLII Pacnor 45 1-22 left in stock. You will need the ASG plug too with the Pacnor but its much better than the OEM MLII plug. ASG also sells Encore 45 1-20 barrels.

As low as $350 plus the plug if your MLII is a large shank.
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/savage_prefit_barrels/

Last edited:
Ive got a Pacnor 45 Super Match Grade on my MLII and it shoots great. Mine is a older one with the small shank so i keep loads under 45kpsi. That is very easy to do with sabots and pretty easy sabotless with 4198.

If you have much interest in shooting sabots, i know the Pacnor 8 land barrels shoot them just fine. You got 2 lands per sabot petal if you index them. Mine is a fairly tight .450 on the money too so the Harvesters fit great. The Brux is a 6 land cut rifle barrel and a great barrel. Especially nice if you want to shoot mostly sabotless.

There is another way to go and if more sabotless speed is wanted using a MLII you can have a nutless barrel blank cut but a smith will need to install it. Without the nut you can increase the shank OD. It still wont have locking lugs (obviously) but you will have a stronger barrel. Just something you may want to consider if sabotless 300gr+ bullets are on the menu. The barrel itself would be as strong or stronger than a good profile Rem700 barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back