Looking for advice from seasoned hunters.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizwatcher

Reaction score
Have an elk hunt in NM this coming October, and outfitter asks I not bring Powerbelt bullets on this hunt. Why? Not sure. Just bought a CVA Accura V2 LR and a Sig Sauer Kilo Sierra 3BDX scope. What bullets would you recommend? I'm thinking a 300g would be better on elk than a 250g. Any thoughts? I have ordered the Thor Hammer 300g and Barnes Spit-Fire MZ 285g. Has anyone had any experience with either? Is there another that I should try? Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Grizwatcher...

Have an elk hunt in NM this coming October, and outfitter asks I not bring Powerbelt bullets on this hunt. Why? Not sure. Just bought a CVA Accura V2 LR and a Sig Sauer Kilo Sierra 3BDX scope. What bullets would you recommend? I'm thinking a 300g would be better on elk than a 250g. Any thoughts? I have ordered the Thor Hammer 300g and Barnes Spit-Fire MZ 285g. Has anyone had any experience with either? Is there another that I should try? Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Grizwatcher...
Sounds like he has seen some bad performance?

I have the same gun very accurate with federal bore lok 270 grain over 90 grain BH 209 make sure you get the 209 breech plug if shooting 209

You are paying an outfitter for his direction yet you turn to a gun forum to see what they recommend? why do you not ask the outfitter? if you don't trust him. :... Find another.

I hunted NM for elk a few years ago. I tested both the 250 and 290 T-EZ, and went with the 290 load that shot the best using BH209. Shot mine at 187 yards, and he trotted 40 yards before falling over. It worked great.

I would suggest whichever Barnes bullet/load shoots best for you.

You are paying an outfitter for his direction yet you turn to a gun forum to see what they recommend? why do you not ask the outfitter? if you don't trust him. :... Find another.
I think the OP is more looking for a recommendation of something good for elk that others have found to be accurate in his model of rifle. A good starting point if you will.
I'd far and away trust the enthusiasts on a gun forum over what one lone outfitter says to get me a lot closer to finding an accurate combo of components for my exact model of rifle.

I shoot the same rifle with a blackhorn breech plug. Shooting 77 weighed gr of Blackhorn, a 300 gr Deep Curl by Speer .452 in a Black Harvester Crush rib sabot. I was shooting Win 209 primers but am switching to Fed or CCI.

Are you required to shoot a full .50cal bullet????

The Fury line of bullets are excellent on game. I'd use the Fury Star Tip 2 MZ. Black powder muzzleloader
I shoot the same rifle with a blackhorn breech plug. Shooting 77 weighed gr of Blackhorn, a 300 gr Deep Curl by Speer .452 in a Black Harvester Crush rib sabot. I was shooting Win 209 primers but am switching to Fed or CCI.

I think the OP is more looking for a recommendation of something good for elk that others have found to be accurate in his model of rifle. A good starting point if you will.
I'd far and away trust the enthusiasts on a gun forum over what one lone outfitter says to get me a lot closer to finding an accurate combo of components for my exact model of rifle.
Thanks for your encouragement... new guy here just wanting to learn........

Yes, I like, study, test, and continue to try to understand bullets. They all work. Barnes, Hornady, Speer, major bullet manufacturers all contribute to ML.
Heavy lead, Cooper, copper plated, .44, .45, .50,and various sabot combinations I won't list because every rifle /combo is different.This is all about inlines.
Heavy, I stress heavy, copper/plated 300 gr ++++ 44/50, 45/50, .50 full bore.
I like the pointy bullets high BCE. , more comfortable at longer range, under 100 they don't matter much and hollow point is fine. The .450 BM, .458 Barnes based 325g look good.
Hard pure and copper plated take a hot charge to expand. 100g measured Blackhorn it 777 ++ may be needed to expand at distance. Leaving the muzzle at around 2,000 fps at 300 yds we're looking at 1,000 lbs KE.thats marginal for deer not enough for elk.
One shot one kill.
Unless a smokeless or rated over 120 gr
Blackhorn (Paramount) Stay under 250yds for elk with these bullets.
Of course this is my opinion, based on research, personal experience, countless hours of comparing ML projectiles.
For deer in my .50 I use Harvester 300gr
.44 .430 copper jacket/bonded lead.
Green crush rib 44/50 sabot
100gr measured Blackhorn
Blue box win 209 shotgun primers
Absolute hammer on deer, scary accurate and reasonable price, bulk in 50 round box.
Take down anything in North America up to 250 yards with no hesitation.
The Speer .452 300gr copper jacket/bonded is my second choice.
In my opinion for 300yds you need either heavy lead 350gr +++/reduced charges or much increased velocity 2220fps that requires smokeless or hyper magnum Blackhorn charges.
All Powerbelts aren't bad, the ELR and Platinum are well regarded.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_092531133.jpg
    IMG_20200314_092531133.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200219_224412984.jpg
    IMG_20200219_224412984.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 3
  • f9bbdeb62248e2fc4418a6935e64cf4c_S.jpg
    f9bbdeb62248e2fc4418a6935e64cf4c_S.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20190915_214305322.jpg
    IMG_20190915_214305322.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3
Yes, I like, study, test, and continue to try to understand bullets. They all work. Barnes, Hornady, Speer, major bullet manufacturers all contribute to ML.
Heavy lead, Cooper, copper plated, .44, .45, .50,and various sabot combinations I won't list because every rifle /combo is different.This is all about inlines.
Heavy, I stress heavy, copper/plated 300 gr ++++ 44/50, 45/50, .50 full bore.
I like the pointy bullets high BCE. , more comfortable at longer range, under 100 they don't matter much and hollow point is fine. The .450 BM, .458 Barnes based 325g look good.
Hard pure and copper plated take a hot charge to expand. 100g measured Blackhorn it 777 ++ may be needed to expand at distance. Leaving the muzzle at around 2,000 fps at 300 yds we're looking at 1,000 lbs KE.thats marginal for deer not enough for elk.
One shot one kill.
Unless a smokeless or rated over 120 gr
Blackhorn (Paramount) Stay under 250yds for elk with these bullets.
Of course this is my opinion, based on research, personal experience, countless hours of comparing ML projectiles.
For deer in my .50 I use Harvester 300gr
.44 .430 copper jacket/bonded lead.
Green crush rib 44/50 sabot
100gr measured Blackhorn
Blue box win 209 shotgun primers
Absolute hammer on deer, scary accurate and reasonable price, bulk in 50 round box.
Take down anything in North America up to 250 yards with no hesitation.
The Speer .452 300gr copper jacket/bonded is my second choice.
In my opinion for 300yds you need either heavy lead 350gr +++/reduced charges or much increased velocity 2220fps that requires smokeless or hyper magnum Blackhorn charges.
All Powerbelts aren't bad, the ELR and Platinum are well regarded.
Thank you for taking time to share your knowledge, Grizwatcher

Back