Looking for ML scope UPDATED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a ML scope and I made a previous thread but would like to reiterate some things. I won't be shooting further than 200 yards, preferably looking for a scope without the bells and whistles, i.e yardage dialing, stuff like that. Just straight wall rifle scope.
Thanks guys. Again looking to stay preferably under 200 if possible. Or as close to it

No special scope needed just get any power or brand you like and you will be fine No more recoil from a muzzleloader and a centerfire rifle

Tell you what, my MLs certainly recoil more than any 308Win i ever owned and that includes a little Rem600/660. Im not even including max thumper loads but when you load up a 300gr and launch it around 2100fps sabotless in a 45cal...It gets your attention.

Recoil like that is hell on cheap scopes.

Tell you what, my MLs certainly recoil more than any 308Win i ever owned and that includes a little Rem600/660. Im not even including max thumper loads but when you load up a 300gr and launch it around 2100fps sabotless in a 45cal...It gets your attention.

Recoil like that is hell on cheap scopes.
100% correct

I just ran the numbers....That load is 37ftlbs of recoil in a 9lb rifle. So yeah it thumps a bit. Ive shot similar loads in my DISC 45 and Savage Pacnor 45.

I gave you the $200 option near the beginning of your other topic but in that one you had a $300 limit and wanted a 30mm tube. You wont find many 30mm tube scopes for near $200 that will handle the recoil abuse of a ML.

I stand by my statement as I was not talking about a 308 I believe 45/70 and 454 and some big magnums should be equal to your loads

I just ran the numbers....That load is 37ftlbs of recoil in a 9lb rifle. So yeah it thumps a bit. Ive shot similar loads in my DISC 45 and Savage Pacnor 45.

I gave you the $200 option near the beginning of your other topic but in that one you had a $300 limit and wanted a 30mm tube. You wont find many 30mm tube scopes for near $200 that will handle the recoil abuse of a ML.
ive decided to stick with a 1" tube. I appreciate all the help and I am still weighing my options.

You can get the new Sightron SI G2 scopes from Cameraland for right around $200 and the Diamondback HP from MidwayUSA for $200. Several guys on the ML boards have used the HPs and they seem to hold up as long as you are not a dialer.

That SWFA SS 6x42 for $220 is a steal if you need to dial but its really long for a DISC action if you dont use a rail. That price includes the rings too.

I still know where to get a 10x40 1" tube mildot for just over $200 and its made in Japan. Not gunna be that great for hunting inside of 100 yards though but its a bargain for a LOW made scope.

You can get the new Sightron SI G2 scopes from Cameraland for right around $200 and the Diamondback HP from MidwayUSA for $200. Several guys on the ML boards have used the HPs and they seem to hold up as long as you are not a dialer.

That SWFA SS 6x42 for $220 is a steal if you need to dial but its really long for a DISC action if you dont use a rail. That price includes the rings too.
I'm looking at both the sightron and Diamondback, only thing is I just do not like the reticles on the diamondback. I prefer a plain cross-hair

No special scope needed just get any power or brand you like and you will be fine No more recoil from a muzzleloader and a centerfire rifle
My Ultimate Firearms Black Widow with the recommended load has shook the guts out of a Leupold VX 6 and destroyed a set of Leupold rings and bases. I would say it's about equal to a .460 Weatherby, maybe worse.

Euro Optics and Amazon both have some good pricing on Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 scopes. The 3-9x40 Quadplex can be found for a little under $140 on Amazon. Not sure how they rate the 3.5" of eye relief.

Using simple 2 piece bases if you can stay around 3.5 to 3.7" and the scope is not too long or too short then mounting is fairly simple. There are 3 rear base screw holes so you have a little flexibility there. I had a little Redfield 2-7x33 on one of mine for years which was about perfect in all respects as far as getting it mounted in a comfortable position.

Less than 3.5" the chance of scope bite goes up quite a bit and the front ring might hit the OBJ bell on some scopes. Not many people are gunna recommend a short eye relief scope on a "big magnum" either or a cheap scope that is not known to handle recoil. MLs actually kick more than a CF shooting the same bullet weight the same fps because we are burning way more powder to achieve that speed.

I can get around 2250-2300fps with a 225-250gr in my NULA using just 41-43gr of powder. Recoil in the under 8lb rifle is less than 25ftlbs with the 225gr but the recoil velocity is more. That rifle had a little Redfield on it for years and i never got bit. The relief was just like the Loopies. About 3.7-4.2".

I have had excellent results from my Nikon 3x9x40 Slughunter BDC scopes. Nikon quit making them, but the other day when you posted, I found a couple of them, new old stock. Today I look, and I only found one so far and I don't recognize the website name so I don't know if they are legit.

https://www.medanvision.com/list-pr...-3-9x40mm-riflescope-w-bdc-200-reticle-detail
If you can find one of those, snatch it up. I actually wish I'd bought the one I found a few days ago. I have one of these on my Mossberg 12ga rifled barrel and it takes a beating. Nikon optics are crystal clear. If I find a place with more than one, I'll post it here after I buy the first one lol.

I have had excellent results from my Nikon 3x9x40 Slughunter BDC scopes. Nikon quit making them, but the other day when you posted, I found a couple of them, new old stock. Today I look, and I only found one so far and I don't recognize the website name so I don't know if they are legit.

https://www.medanvision.com/list-pr...-3-9x40mm-riflescope-w-bdc-200-reticle-detail
If you can find one of those, snatch it up. I actually wish I'd bought the one I found a few days ago. I have one of these on my Mossberg 12ga rifled barrel and it takes a beating. Nikon optics are crystal clear. If I find a place with more than one, I'll post it here after I buy the first one lol.
Those Nikon slughunters will take some serious abuse. Tons of eye relief too.

The Nikon Slug hunter was basically a Nikon Omega and man are they hard to get positioned in a comfortable position on a Knight with 2 piece bases. That 5" of eye relief is a killer. Plus it hurts FOV the longer you get.

I had one of them too on my DISC. Cant move it any further forward for a comfortable cheek weld unless you lengthen the pull or get a rail.
UetR8y3.jpg

Good news...i finally found a Burris FFII. They quit making these. They replaced them with Chinese made FF IVs and some E1s which i dont like nearly as much. The FFIIs were probably one of the best made sub $200 scopes but relief is a bit tight.

$147 and change. The ballistic plex is super simple. Much like the HPs BDC reticle
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullfield-Ballistic-Rifle-Scope/dp/B000MM2QSK

Last edited:
Good news...i finally found a Burris FFII. They quit making these. They replaced them with Chinese made FF IVs and some E1s which i dont like nearly as much. The FFIIs were probably one of the best made sub $200 scopes but relief is a bit tight.

$147 and change. The ballistic plex is super simple. Much like the HPs BDC reticle
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullfield-Ballistic-Rifle-Scope/dp/B000MM2QSK
What do you think of the 4.5-14 and the 6.5-20 versions of that scope?

Nothing really stands out about the FFIIs other than it was made well for it price point. Dont expect them to be more than a "set and forget" scope with a sightin check before your next hunt. Guys are buying them up quick too just because its better than the other Burris scopes in a similar price range. Only thing i like about the FFIV is the E3 reticle they offer. Its kinda like the Veracity FFP reticle but in a SFP scope.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back