loose percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakers

Reaction score
I am new to the muzzle loading game. Recently bought a F. lli Pietta 1858 new model army in .44. I followed the loading directions and it shoots wonderfully. But the caps do not want to stay on! They are so loose that they will fall off when the cylinder is tipped up right. I am pushing them on as far as they will go, but it makes no difference. What am I donging wrong or just not doing.

HELP! Please!
Sneakers :think:

Re: RE: loose percussion caps

sneakers said:
I am new to the muzzle loading game. Recently bought a F. lli Pietta 1858 new model army in .44. I followed the loading directions and it shoots wonderfully. But the caps do not want to stay on! They are so loose that they will fall off when the cylinder is tipped up right. I am pushing them on as far as they will go, but it makes no difference. What am I donging wrong or just not doing.

HELP! Please!
Sneakers :think:
What size caps are you using ? I'm not a revolver kind of guy but I think #10 caps should be used I'm sure the other members will know

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

From my understanding #10 Caps were designed for Cap n Ball, A “band aid” fix when caps fit loosely is to pinch them slightly and they will usually stay on, 1/4-28 Treso nipples were notorious for this with cci brand caps, But the last Treso’s i got at Buffalo Arms fit good. Treso sold to another outfit but kept the Name, or something like that? At least that is what i was told.

Are the caps on the nipple all the way? Years ago you would let the hammer down SLOWLY to help seat the cap. If this does not work, try using a different brand cap. You can also slightly squeeze the cap so it is not a perfect circle and the slightly oblong cap should stay on. Good luck!
Bob

I just edited my post above, The last Treso Nipples i got over at Buffalo Arms hold the CCi No 11 Caps good. It is my understanding that Treso is under a New owner but kept the Name, Or something like that? I’ll ask again and find out for sure

I bet you are shooting #11 caps. I’m sure the #10 caps will solve your problem. If you have a lot of #11 caps try squeezing them on and shoot them up.

Back