Loose Powder Recommendations and Why...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerryS

Reaction score
I recently purchased a CVA Accura Mountain Rifle as my first muzzle loader. Note that I said first... :)

I am currently using IMR White Hots to get use to the loading and cleaning process with the intention to move to loose powder after I have used all of my pellets. I am a center-fire cartridge reloader so I will be tweaking accuracy with loose powder (an option you don't have with pellets). I am looking for feedback regarding experienced users' choice of loose powder and why they have settled for that particular type/brand.

I have a CVA Wolf. I too am a center fire cartridge loader. I started with loose for the same reason and the loose is less expensive. I used 777 with a variety of bullets. I started shooting groups with 80 grains and increased in increments of 10 grains. I got to 100 grains and the groups closed up to 1-1/2 inches at 120 yards. One bullets used was GT Bullets 255 grain .429 with a green MMP sabot. Another was GT Bullets 305 grain grain .429 with green MMP sabot. I stopped there because what else do I need??? The GT Bullets have huge hollow points. Im thinking these will be great for deer. I also had good results (2" groups) PR Bullet ultimate 1 conical in 450 grain. I then read CVA manual where they limit the wolf to 400 grains so have since quit shooting those. I do have some PR bullets .400 260 grain Extreme Elites. They shoot the same 1 1/2 inch at 120 yards. Velocity over a chrony for the 305 grain was 1779at 15 yards from the chrony. Hope that help.

Blackhorn 209 is my choice because it is the best black powder sub available for several reasons. Using it in a CVA requires a BH209 breech plug or modification to the stock breech plug but it is well worth it, IMO.

I think that T7 is as good as any powder to get started and get used to using loose powder. relatively inexpensive, easy cleanup, available almost everywhere, doesn't smell too bad, and lights easy with almost all ignition systems. it's what I started using and I always keep it on hand in case someone needs to borrow a lil powder or I just want to sling some lead down range, cheap. Its like having O negative blood type, you can give it to anyone.
Once you are comfy throwing powder, you start trying the other brands. See how you like them. I burnt a LOT of powder when I got the bug. I still use T7. Not as much now, as then, tho.

Wow, I shot 35 shots through my cheap Wolf a few weeks ago. Never a hang fire or misfire with the plug made for pellets. It cleans up just fine for me as I am swabbing between shots. T7 shoots accurately for me. I bought several pounds on auction for $10.00 a pound. 100 grains chrony at 1779 FPS 15 feet from the muzzle. Guess Im getting everything I need done at half the price of Blackhorn. What am I missing????

You’re not missing anything, I prefer 777 over everything for my style of hunting. black horn is expensive and hard for me to get in New Jersey. I personally think 777 is easier to clean up than bh . But that’s just my observation. when I shoot bh it is accurate, but I get great results from 777 also. just my preference

Actually I was messing with the post above about Blackhorn being the best for several reasons. Thank you for your support dwm. Think we are on the same page..

i have to agree on the cost differential being in favor of 777. On Powder Valley's website, 2F or 3F triple 7 cost only $19.95/#. BH209 is $31.95 for 10 ozs... that'a a big spread and equates to lot of shooting. So why the cleanup differential? Is 777 water cleanup? I understand BH209 requires solvent-based cleaning. Comments?

Yes, 777 costs less than BH209, although you can lower the cost of the BH209 by buying the 5 lb jug. BH209 is the least hygroscopic sub available. Because of it's uniform granule size and the crush resistance of the granules, it is the most consistent sub there is. Shoot it through a chronograph and you will find it produces lower ES than any other sub. Because of it's progressive burning properties, it produces less peak pressure than other subs but offers a ballistic advantage with heavier bullets. It is less corrosive than any other sub. It leaves no hard residue in the bore and you can shoot an indefinite number of shoots and still easily reload without having to swab the bore. BH209 will never leave a crud ring like you get with 777. BH209 uses the same solvents you use for smokeless powders for clean up. I use Hoppes #9 because I already have it for my centerfire firearms and smokeless muzzleloaders. 777 is a good propellant. I still use it in a Knight MK-85 with percussion cap ignition. However, I, and many others, believe BH209 is a superior propellant and that's why we use it. If you are solely looking at the cost to shoot, it's probably not for you.

I totally agree with Sabinajiles. All that swabbing between shots, is over with for me. Yeah, BH209 is over priced, but, the cleanliness and consistentcy are for me.

It’s a matter of preference, I personally don’t mind swabbing between shots, gives my barrel time to cool, plus I like to hunt with a clean barrel and I swab it pretty clean between shots. but I do understand the benefits of bh. and while hunting I very rarely need a follow up shot, that’s the fun with muzzleloader hunting, one well placed shot

Could not have said it better dwm. Thanks again. Hes still not hearing me. Cost isn't the only consideration. He didn't hear the accuracy, easy enough for me to clean. Good velocity. LOL

I too hunt with a clean barrel, nice thing about BH is you can run a dry patch down your barrel for a follow up shot and the accuracy is still there! Only had to do it once but the deer lost that battle and I have a memory to last a lifetime because of it!

I think that both t7 and bh209 are great powders. You cant go wrong with either. Some folks don't like either one and only use the holy black. Some only use pellets. I love pellets but don't use them anymore. They are all great for different reasons. You should try them all. Just as long as you are having fun.

Yeah, sometimes you do need to finish what didnt turn out as good as you hoped. Years ago I didnt have time to reload. I was using a traditional with a long Green Mountain barrel. The barrel worked well to end things. Good its not on film somewhere.

Hes still not hearing me. Cost isn't the only consideration. He didn't hear the accuracy, easy enough for me to clean.
Is this directed to me? I suggest you read the OP's first post and notice he asked for opinions from experienced shooters on what powder they preferred and why, not one powder vs another. I believe I qualify as an experienced shooter, so I offered my opinion and explained why it is my opinion. You make have a different opinion and that is fine. You may not like my opinion and that is fine, too, but it's still my opinion. I'm not sure why you are trying to turn a discussion about the merits of different propellants into an argument.

We are really fortunate to have as many choices to choose from. If they stop making our favorite powder, then is another to choose from that will preform almost as well. 40 years ago we didn’t have too many to choose from. :dance2:

I switched to BH209 for one reason only. Lower amount of smoke from a shot in a hunting situation. I am a long time CF and shotshell reloader so using a scale to weight my powder charges is not a issue. The smoke from some of the other propellants on a still morning when the air is dense can be blinding and CAN have a negative affect on following which way the critter ran.

Blackhorn209 for one main reason. NO CRUD RING. Its cheaper than pellets per shot when adjusted for velocity. Loose T7 is cheaper though per shot. At inline shooting matches you will see mostly either real black (Swiss) or BH209 in the winner circles....Must be a good reason for that. ;)

Back