Loose rifle stock bolt on CVA Scout V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Scout V2, on which I swapped the original stock out for a thumbhole CVA Optima stock. On the original stock, there was a small screw that literally threads into the center of the bolt that holds the stock on to the receiver, and this smaller screw secures the grip cap on the grip of the stock. On the replacement Optima thumbhole stock, the grip cap is held on to the stock by a screw that actually threads into a plastic hole within the grip itself, and does not thread into the bolt that secures the receiver to the stock.

This weekend while shooting, the bolt that holds the stock onto the receiver worked loose, and the thumbhole stock began to wiggle a bit. When I cleaned the rifle, I removed the thumbhole stock from the receiver, installed some Purple Loctite (222), and reinstalled the thumbhole stock. The rifle, including this bolt is finished in NP3+.

Anyway, have any of you experienced this problem with your Optima thumbhole stocks? If so, how did you fix it? Also, do you think the Purple Loctite is enough, and will prevent it from happening again?

So I ended up doing some research, and decided to us Loctite (Blue) 243, which is designed for surfaces that need a primer, such as plated surfaces (NP3) and some other metals. I will post here if it does not work, otherwise this is the way to go. Finally, for those of you who have used Robar Industries, and their fantastic services/finishes, sadly, they are out of business as of yesterday.

Latest posts

Back