Loose vs tight bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like a loose Bullet ( not loose enough to move off the powder ) shoots higher than one that is tighter
Anyone have the same results or what do you long range shooters think ?

1874sharpsshooter said:
Seems like a loose Bullet ( not loose enough to move off the powder ) shoots higher than one that is tighter

Of course I'm shooting sabots at long range (>200), but with sabots the easier it is to load the bullet, the less velocity I get through the chronograph and it shoots slightly lower.
With the land riding bullets (.50cal) I haven't noticed, as I size them to load at 20#.

I had this result today zeroing in a muzzleloader, shooting 240 gr xtps with the mmp ez sabots, you could sit ramrod on top of bullet and it would just slide down barrel with finger pressure.. Bullets shot 3 in higher then the tighter fitting green crush rib sabots.. Accuracy was also horrible with bullets spread across about 8 inches at 53 yds.
But with the tight fitting sabots it put 5 into about a 1.25 inches which is pretty good for a pistol 12.5 in barrel(Black Diamond) put in a rifle stock.

1874sharpsshooter said:

Every time seems to be the norm

Less velocity = longer barrel time. The longer the bullet is in the barrel the more effect of recoil induced muzzle rise

admiral said:
Less velocity = longer barrel time. The longer the bullet is in the barrel the more effect of recoil induced muzzle rise
Another example is revolver shooting target wadcutters verses full magnum loads, the wadcutters always hit higher at closer ranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back