Losing hunting territory

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
Well, the land that I have been hunting my entire life is shrinking. a total of almost 200 acres is down to half now due to people dying and their children selling. I do not blame or hold any hard feelings, but it is saddening.

Its kinda oh i dont really know the word......shocking , how things change over the years . Land to hunt , game animals themselves , folks feelings about hunting and much more is so different now . Planet earth looks really weird at times all different . Gettin tough to do what we love.......

Who said? " The past is a different country. You can't go there anymore." I am 54 years old and as a teenager I recall the US population to be around 220 million. Now it is well above 330 million. All of those people need homes and businesses. I can't recall how many places I used to hunt as a kid that are now either posted or have been developed. It is a fact of life.

I noticed the same thing about 35 years ago. I realized I would have to try to find and buy some land. It was a bit of a struggle back then with 3 young kids but glad I did when I did. With land prices today, even though I have a better income now, I could not buy. I suppose hunting leases may be possible or if I were willing to travel several hours ground is more affordable but too far away to get there much, mine fortunately is less than 45 minutes away.

A group of us at our rod and gun club have been thinking about a lease. This is a trend we've been seeing in Southern Massachusetts. A lot of the deer have learned to live near houses. There is a 500 foot rule for gun and bow. So it seems they have learned this is a safe zone. You would need permission of the owner to hunt within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling.

So the idea of getting a lease in some place like Western NY or Pennsylvania is on the table for some of us. Myself I have too many issues at home to consider any hunt beyond 30 miles from home right now. So I will keep on hunting the same old spots as I have done for a long time. The problem is that it seems they're burnt out and I haven't taken a deer since 2013.

A group of us at our rod and gun club have been thinking about a lease. This is a trend we've been seeing in Southern Massachusetts. A lot of the deer have learned to live near houses. There is a 500 foot rule for gun and bow. So it seems they have learned this is a safe zone. You would need permission of the owner to hunt within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling.

So the idea of getting a lease in some place like Western NY or Pennsylvania is on the table for some of us. Myself I have too many issues at home to consider any hunt beyond 30 miles from home right now. So I will keep on hunting the same old spots as I have done for a long time. The problem is that it seems they're burnt out and I haven't taken a deer since 2013.
Youll see one fact of life now is that attitudes are very different when seeking out new spots to hunt . People arent nearly so open to it . Dollar bills in hand or not . I cant see Michigan being any harder in this regard than especially the east coast where youre at thats for sure !!! Youll see.......

Last edited:
We are fortunate in Maine to have millions of acres to hunt on. I have never found a better place to live. I have been to all but 3 states, NM, NV and ND.
Nit Wit

In Texas virtually all land is privately owned. There are state owned lands that can be hunted but i hear they are crowded. Now i and 14 others are on a lease just south of Brownwood Texas on 1350 acres. I have been here since 1979 and am one of the oldest here. Our original price was $450 a year for a year round lease. And now 41 years later we pay only $700 ayear. The ranchers grandson now owns the property and has informed us that we are family and will always have a place to hunt. He uses the income to cover his taxes. All around us other ranches go for $1500 to $2500 a gun. We do realize how fortunate we are and do all we can to help the rancher out when we are there.
DL

Last edited:
Youll see one fact of life now is that attitudes are very different when seeking out new spots to hunt . People arent nearly so open to it . Dollar bills in hand or not . I cant see Michigan being any harder in this regard than especially the east coast where youre at thats for sure !!! Youll see.......

Hello:

One of the issues we have here in Southern New England is that the landownership is very fragmented. You do not find any large farms say over 1000 acres. Most are 100 or less. In fact there are a lot of pieces of land in Massachusetts that are 10-20 acres. As it stands, for most towns in Massachusetts if land is not posted you can go on it. If you are told to get out then you have to. The fine for trespass is $50.

I do hunt some land that is open by tradition and never had a problem but I am seeing less deer now than I did 10 years ago.

It’s changing everywhere, I spent my first 38 Years on the Wa Coast, We had what Seemed like a Million MILES of WIDE Open Mountain Rds on State and Forrest Service Land ALL of my Younger Life, FULL MOTOR VEHICLE ACCESS, When i moved away from there 10 Years ago Just about EVERY Mountain Rd Over there was GATED Off to Motor Vehicles, Now days you Walk, or Ride a Bicycle. Certain areas will Sell you a Numbered Key for X amount of Dollars, For X amount of time, that is Dedicated to X License Plate, This way they Know EXACTLY who is in these places, and who is NOT Suppose to be. It’s hard for me to imagine, Those Roads were always WIDE Open for ANYONE to Travel, After all it’s State and Forrest Service Land

Just about EVERY Mountain Rd Over there was GATED Off to Motor Vehicles, Now days you Walk, or Ride a Bicycle. Certain areas will Sell you a Numbered Key for X amount of Dollars, For X amount of time, that is Dedicated to X License Plate,

I wish they would do that during our lottery conservation area hunts. The way it is now all the "hipsters" and PETA wannabes can roam the area during OUR hunt. They need to close them down so that only hunters that were drawn can enter. Its like 2-6 days total for most those areas.

I dont mind sharing the woods with other hunters but when Adam and Steve come strolling through walking their poodles it kinda sucks. Them managed hunt tags are not free and none of the hunts are over 3 days long per hunt. We are only allowed to enter 1 managed hunt per year. If you apply for 2 and get caught you are out.

Last edited:
I wish they would do that during our lottery conservation area hunts. The way it is now all the "hipsters" and PETA wannabes can roam the area during OUR hunt. They need to close them down so that only hunters that were drawn can enter. Its like 2-6 days total for most those areas.

I dont mind sharing the woods with other hunters but when Adam and Steve come strolling through walking their poodles it kinda sucks. Them managed hunt tags are not free and none of the hunts are over 3 days long per hunt. We are only allowed to enter 1 managed hunt per year. If you apply for 2 and get caught you are out.
For your situation that would be a possible solution to stop that crap possibly . Screening before entering restricted tracts should be considered for your areas situation as well . Adam and Steve , LMAO !!!

There is one main entrance to the CA i hunted a few years ago. Its also got about 30+ lakes and ponds. Somewhere along the line they added "nature trails" for walkers and cyclists. Those trails cut right through the prime hunting areas. These hunts are sometimes a few days before the normal opener. It would be simple to post signs for the closure during the hunts and/or limit access to the area during the hunt.

Years ago during fishing seasons it was $1 to get in and fish. Now you just drive in as long as you have a valid fishing license. Back then you just stopped at the first parking lot and paid your $1. Right after that was another gate. They did have around 4 smaller lakes outside the gated part of the CA. Anyone with a valid license could fish those if i recall. Those areas typically are not part of the hunting area. Just like the archery trail range is off limits.

These yahoos are not even required to wear hunter orange. They are all over the prime hunting area during the hunts in some places. I wont apply to that CA anymore until the rules change. I found another one but its further away. Much harder to draw also. Its very popular with hunters and less popular with the hipsters.

There is one main entrance to the CA i hunted a few years ago. Its also got about 30+ lakes and ponds. Somewhere along the line they added "nature trails" for walkers and cyclists. Those trails cut right through the prime hunting areas. These hunts are sometimes a few days before the normal opener. It would be simple to post signs for the closure during the hunts and/or limit access to the area during the hunt.

Years ago during fishing seasons it was $1 to get in and fish. Now you just drive in as long as you have a valid fishing license. Back then you just stopped at the first parking lot and paid your $1. Right after that was another gate. They did have around 4 smaller lakes outside the gated part of the CA. Anyone with a valid license could fish those if i recall. Those areas typically are not part of the hunting area. Just like the archery trail range is off limits.

These yahoos are not even required to wear hunter orange. They are all over the prime hunting area during the hunts in some places. I wont apply to that CA anymore until the rules change. I found another one but its further away. Much harder to draw also. Its very popular with hunters and less popular with the hipsters.
Wow just doesnt Even Begin to cover that one does it . The Conservation Dept is being Extremely / Completely Negligent on this handleing of affairs concerning Everybodies safety on that area during hunts !!! My gosh thats Stupid !!! Some of those clowns are Oblivious to whats goin on as well !!!!! THATS a recipe for Disaster if there ever was one.......
And guess who would be blamed for a ricochet or stray then.........
HEADLINES !!!!!!!
Have you attempted to offer them a Clue ????

Last edited:

Something tells me that they ain't gonna change the rules any time soon. In fact I think it will be the status quo. That is part of the problem. You have outsiders making the rules for locals.

Don't be tempted to hunt deer in the burbs. Here's a story. One of the fellows I work with was telling a story about all the deer in his neighborhood. Nice big bucks and plenty of deer. He decided to be sneaky and set up a bow stand. Out of sight of course. Along came a beautiful buck. He stuck and arrow in it and it took its 100 yard run right into the neighbors garage door, caved in the door from the impact, it bled profusely and died in a puddle of blood. Then the 15 year old daughter came out and was screaming her lungs out. The authorities were called. Cost him big time.

My son lives in the burbs and has a lot of deer around. Nice bucks too. Really tempting but not worth it.

I hunted private property that abutted some other rural residential property with high end housing. Very high end...as in doctors at the Mayo Clinic. Uppity people. I arrowed a nice buck one Saturday morning that took his 80 yard hike and died right in front of a ground level picture window behind which three little kids were watching cartoons with mom and dad sitting right there. As soon as I saw where the deer went I backed out and went to the farm house and called law enforcement and the co. The dude inside that house did like-wise. I met the co at the service entry to the property I was hunting and walked him to the stand and thru the shot, then to the fence where WWIII was taking place. We could hear the dad screaming bloody murder back at the drive.

The warden met with the deputies and told them I was in the right and that the dad needed to cool his jets. I was allowed to collect the buck and take it back in the woods to gut it but that dad was livid and after the cops and co left he came in the woods with a pistol and threatened my butt. Fortunately the farmer's kid had come along to help drag the deer to the pick up and overheard this guy making threats and boogied home where dad called the sheriff again mentioning the gun and the dad now trespassing. This time dad went to the slammer until Monday when he went to court. Gun was confiscated and he had a felony hung on his butt.

I changed hunting sites after this fiasco. Its not worth hunting near people even if you have permission and its legal. And I can legally obtain a residential permit for the city of ochester and hunt in certain situations but after that encounter I simply pass on the residential hunt stuff.

In the city i lived in during my teenage years we had a massive deer population and some huge bucks. Partially due to close farm land and a large park. They did have limited residential archery permits. A friends dad had over an acre of woods behind his house. He got several monsters out of that tiny section of woods. Probably the largest local bucks ive ever seen.

Latest posts

Back