Loss of power at end of season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballien44

Reaction score
I bought an impact for my dad for Christmas a few years back. He has had nothing but issues. I want to get things figured out for him. After doing some research and taking it to a gunsmith we found the barrel riffeling wasn't finished. T/c warrantied everything and we were very happy, and looked forward to this year. Shot twice before season everything seemed good. Didn't see any shooters this year and went to unload gun today and there was no power behind the shot just made slight noise and the bullet never hit the target at less then 50 yards. Gun was stored in gargae to keep temp consistent. In a 10 day season in upper Michigan would the bullet loose seating or pick up thatuch moisture?

Ballien44 said:
I bought an impact for my dad for Christmas a few years back. He has had nothing but issues. I want to get things figured out for him. After doing some research and taking it to a gunsmith we found the barrel riffeling wasn't finished. T/c warrantied everything and we were very happy, and looked forward to this year. Shot twice before season everything seemed good. Didn't see any shooters this year and went to unload gun today and there was no power behind the shot just made slight noise and the bullet never hit the target at less then 50 yards. Gun was stored in gargae to keep temp consistent. In a 10 day season in upper Michigan would the bullet loose seating or pick up thatuch moisture?

First off Welcome to the Forum! Your question would get more answers in the inline Section. Lot of knowledgeable folks there :yeah:

What kind of Powder? I have had Pyrodex P do exactly what you Described.

Remington 209 primer not for positive on bullet he was shooting a t/c 250 grain. He lives 5 hrs from me makes it hard for me to help and touble shoot.

Remington has standard 209 primers for reloading and 209 primers for muzzleloaders. You must use the 209s for reloading when shooting BH209.

DONT USE THESE
1155686_68711_is

USE THESE
R209.jpg

Thanks for the pointers I am going to try to recreate the issue this weekend to see if it was a fluke or consistent

The flash CHANNEL in your T/C plug should be 1/8" btw. You might need to start with a smaller bit if its never been cleaned properly. The carbon can get super hard.
bp_diagram.jpg

Yes, probably absorption of moisture. In humid climates, probably best to reload at least every other day. For extreme accuracy, primers may be very important, but I occasionally forget primers are in my pocket and run them thru the wash. I would obviously never use them to hunt with again, but every single one I have tested worked.

The BH209 powder is not affected by humidity or moisture developed by warm to cold or cold to warm situations. It doesn't absorb water or humidity. I load three guns and they can be in and out of heat all season long as well as being in very inclement weather and I have never, ever had an issue. The primers and filled up flash channel have both nipped me but not the 209 powder.

I WOULD PUT MY MONEY IF I WAS A BETTOR ON THE FLASH CHANNEL GM54-120 s PIC IS EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF HOW TO REMEDY THAT PROBLEM. AND I USE ONLY FEDERAL 209 PRIMERS IN MY RIFLES. AND I HAVE HUNTED UNDER SAME CONDITIONS AS MR TOM AND NEVER , EVER HAD BH FAIL TO FIRE.

Blackhorn they tell you dont use muzzleloader primers. They recommend federal 209m/magnum and cci 209 magnum primers.

Latest posts

Back