Lost Bull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our boy still lives in Montana. The boy does hunt elk. He does hunt the area we started hunting sometime around 1980.

He ran into some fellas from Tennessee. They were on their way home, and were sad. They had stuck a bull day after Labor Day, and never found it. Conversation led to them offering him $500 to find the bull. He refused the money; said he would look for the bull.

He found it the evening of the next day. He heard ravens talking, from camp, early in the morning. With the help of the Ravens, and knowing the country, and persisting, he found the bull.

He wrote the smell of the bull, eight days after being stuck, is still in his nose. There were more maggots than one can imagine. He hauled the head to a taxidermist for them.

The Tennessee boys said they would spend time at our boy's fire next season, and bring refreshments.

elk1.jpg

elk2.jpg

elk3.jpg

elk4.jpg

I assume struck means bow shot , being a bow hunter I know stuff happens but congrats to your to your son for doing the right thing for those out of towners . A local always has the advantage in the woods ,the fact that he offered and got it done says a lot about you aside from your sons ethics about yours. I would be proud to add you to the small list of people I"d hunt with Ed

All, thanks for nice words. We are indeed proud of him. However, keep in mind if he was able to hunt the area in 1980, the boy is now old enough to be his own man; to be a grandfather. He is what he made him self.

The boy was up at camp this past week end, and photographed the ivories.

ivories.jpg

ivories2.jpg

The boy believes the bull is about 7, or 8 years old judging by the ivories, and i agree. To me the antlers looked like an elk in decline, and older, but apparently not.

Haven't spoken to him about his hunt yet, but knowing him, the real reason he searched for, and found the elk is because he wanted to see if he could. The reason he took care of the elk, and hauled it to the taxidermist was out of the kindness of his heart.

He did a good deed. They could have a European mount or find a different elk cape to put on it.

Back