Lot 35 -- Lot 36 -- Lot 37

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't fully understand this. If I recall, and perhaps i don't, I thought black powder basically burned from end to end, and each kernel was a quick burn, almost more of an ignition then a burn, whereas smokeless powder and subsequently BH209 essentially burn around the surface. This is why kernel size and shape changes from powder to powder. Altering the kernel measurements changes burn rates. So if that's correct, and i think it is, wouldn't out make more sense from a consistency standpoint to measure by volume. Wouldn't you be more concerned about having the same total surface area to burn? And if that's the case wouldn't that be more repeatable by volume instead of weight when the weight fluctuates from lot to lot our even environmental conditions? Kernel size doesn't change.

SuperKirby I think you may be on to something. There have been many very smart guy's here that have proven weighing vs volume is pretty darn close regarding repeatability. In spite of the proof from what guys have done I am having a difficult time trusting myself with measuring by volume and me being consistent. I'm new to all of this and I know if I measure 84gr by weight I can repeat that every single time.

I am now convinced that volume measuring is the way to go. Witness mark on my ramrod will never change and I think my point of impact will be closer together lot to lot than if I weighed. I will still check my zero when changing lots but I see way more advantages to volume measuring. I'm anal about things and measuring by weight seemed to be the better method of the two. That was before I discovered the weight to volume difference between lots. I never thought the difference would be that big.

Interesting discussion.

One thought, can one vary the volume amount? Depending on how you dump, throw, shake, drop tube, etc -- I mean, how easy or hard is it to make the amount in the volume tube vary, i.e., 105 vs. 110 etc, regardless of what lot is used? How consistent in your method do you have to be to get the "same" volume amount every single time?

You can absolutely vary the volume in the BH209 plastic tubes. I used to use the fill spout on the cannister and pour into the tube to the measuring line I needed. If you tap on the tube, the powder will settle down farther into the tube.
In the end, I guess if you use the exact same method each and every time, you are getting consistent volumes.

......How consistent in your method do you have to be to get the "same" volume amount every single time?
You know the answer is very very very consistent.

This season my hunting load will be 95 grain Blackhorn. If one should wish to duplicate it, fly at it, however one won't be able to. One cannot duplicate my hunting load. One cannot duplicate my 95 grain measurement, because one doesn't know my technique, nor does one know the measuring devices used. However, if one knows the weight of the 95 grain load is 72½ grain, and it is from lot 37, duplicating the load is child's play.

Of course the scales are calibrated.

I agree. Your technique is your technique, as my technique is mine. I certainly don’t question the accuracy or repeatability of your technique, just as I believe I can be very repeatable with mine. I believe that if one is consistent with their volume loading process one can achieve accuracy on paper equal to a weight measurement when using BP or subs.

I have thought about weighing a volume load and then just weigh all my loads to match that particular volume. I have found that lot 35, 120gr v = 91gr weighed. I will go with something a little less than that or whatever I find shoots best out of my gun.

I know weighing is not needed but I don't shoot near as much as some of you guy's so weighing is really not a big time consuming deal or an inconvenience for me. I completely agree with those of you that believe volume measuring is plenty good enough. I think that debate has been settled from what I have seen.

I picked up one of those Thompson Center clear adjustable powder measures and set it at 120. I then weighed the charge which came to right about 91gr. I'm currently using lot 35. I emailed Blackhorn and was basically told whatever gets me to my desired volume. If 91gr weighed gets me to 120gr v then I'm good.

120gr volume may not equal 84gr weighed as some may assume.

ron my volume measuring technique sucks as I was very inconsistent when double checking the weight of each. I definately need to spend some time mastering volume measuring. I also tried to take me out of the equation as much as possible by using an RCBS uniflow powder measure but even that was too inconsistent for my liking. I was very deliberate with the RCBS duplicating each drop of the handle and raising the handle the same each time.

Keeping the hopper in the Uniflow measure at a consistent level helps to drop more accurate charges. A baffel doesn’t Seem to help much, if any. Mine varies + or - 3 tenths or so. I set it to drop a light charge, then trickle it up to the desired amount.

Latest posts

Back