Lot #41

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George, it seems you have managed to get as much weight of lot 41 into the 120 volume as possible. Myself was only able to manage 94g by tapping the measure until the powder no longer settled. My measure is different, but has been reliable over the years.

G_0183.jpg

My measure was set at 125g, and then weights were poured into, until the powder after tapping settled at 5g. Tapped a bunch of times before the powder quit settling.

G_0182.jpg

Yup, lot 41 was settled completely in the measure. I checked with another today and he's getting the same volume to weight. He actually made mention that it's within a tenth of lot #39. I know its smaller so denser.
I did the video the other day to show another how when weighing out 84grs, then putting it in a volume measure, it wouldn't fill up 120grs volume. Pretty close to over 1/4" left in that measure after pouring the 84grs in and no tapping. I have a second volume measure which measures identical as my original.
Most won't care but if one is weighing out 84grs, one might be shorting themselves a little velocity.

So, if I always use 80 grains by volume and I start using this lot, my 80 grains is going to weigh more than what I’ve been using? Are we talking about enough different to matter at 100 yards or is this something that only matters with heavy charges at long range?

So, if I always use 80 grains by volume and I start using this lot, my 80 grains is going to weigh more than what I’ve been using? Are we talking about enough different to matter at 100 yards or is this something that only matters with heavy charges at long range?
That would depend on what lot you are currently using. It appears to me and to another, that the volume to weight ratio is almost identical to lot #39.

We talked about it at Camp Atterbury and it appears that lot 41 isn't as energetic and slower volume to volume, weight to weight. That in some cases "might" make a difference, especially longer range.
I highly doubt that at 100yds you'd notice anything significant.

I have lot 40 and 120 gr volume weighs 96 gr. Lot 40 is the Hodgdon branding.

Bill

"Most won't care but if one is weighing out 84grs, one might be shorting themselves a little velocity."

I guess I don't understand the dynamics of it. If someone WEIGHED out 84 gr, wouldn't be be getting the same velocity no matter which lot it was. I thought only if you tried to use the same VOLUME in different lots would you have a problem?

I guess I don't understand the dynamics of it. If someone WEIGHED out 84 gr, wouldn't be be getting the same velocity no matter which lot it was. I thought only if you tried to use the same VOLUME in different lots would you have a problem?

I believe that particle density is the issue between lots. If three lots of powder were sampled by weighing individual grains of powder, they would not weigh the same because each has its own density. BH 209 powder has very uniform particles as far as physical dimensions of each particle goes and if density was not an issue, neither would lot number. This can account for 77 weighed grains of one lot of BH209 measuring 110 grains by volume while 77 weighed grains of another lot of BH209 might measure 114 grains by volume.

Also, there has been mention of specific loads [either by weight or volume] between 2 or more lots of BH209 delivering more or less velocity. If all things are equal, weight or volume and consistent granule size, the only thing that can change the velocity is the density of the powder itself. IF one could find identical shot sizes between lead and steel shotshell shot and weigh of each one, the lead would weigh heavier. Everything physically is the same between the two shots, like in BH209, but one weighs more than the other, just like differing lots of BH209 seldom weigh the same between a given volume and actual weight. The only thing that changes is the density of the powder granules between lots, hence the difference in the weight of granules from lot to lot..

I understand that each lot varies in weight per volume: density is different.

My question is: if you weigh out 84 grains from lot 35 and 84 gr from lot 41, so you are shooting exactly the same weight, will they produce the same velocity?

Your second paragraph, and Encore’s statement seems to indicate that is not the case. If not, then what good does weighing charges do? If that is the case, then I will stick to volume measurements and just adjust my sights when I get a new lot of powder.

Last edited:

My question is: if you weigh out 84 grains from lot 35 and 84 gr from lot 41, so you are shooting exactly the same weight, will they produce the same velocity?

Encore’s statement seems to indicate that is not the case. If not, then what good does weighing charges do?
That would depend on what lot you are currently using. It appears to me and to another, that the volume to weight ratio is almost identical to lot #39.

We talked about it at Camp Atterbury and it appears that lot 41 isn't as energetic and slower volume to volume, weight to weight. That in some cases "might" make a difference, especially longer range.
I highly doubt that at 100yds you'd notice anything significant.

If this is the statement your referring to, then I think there is a misunderstanding here.

He was responding to CatamountRob, but he is talking volume not weight. Which I believe he has it wrong, in that his 80 gr. by volume is actually going to weigh less, which is why Encore stated that you would loose velocity.

That is, if I am not misunderstanding this whole mess too?

Encore’s statement seems to indicate that is not the case. If not, then what good does weighing charges do?
If I go back to our conversations at Atterbury, including Jeff, Bob and Chris. It was suggested that volume to volume and weight to weight, lot 41 was slower. Some might remember Doug S. a past champion. When Doug changed lots, he adjusted his charges to an actual velocity he wanted. I'm likely close but, if I recall lot 27 was the most energetic of all lots.
I haven't personally checked the velocity of different lots but, its something I could do.

The procedure of weighing charges is basically to be as consistent as possible.

So to summarize:

Volume to volume comparison between lots: possibly a substantial difference in performance (velocity, POI, group size) at longer ranges.

Weight to weight comparison between lots: may be slight differences in performance.

I suppose those same things can be said about any powder, including real black. But sounds like BH is more pronounced in its differences.

Thanks for the clarification. I used to be up on the latest info but dropped out for a few years and now am playing catch-up. Cant wait to try my new Lehigh plug.

Hopefully 90 gr BH (volume) and the 350 gr Federal BOR lead bullet will be my elk load for this fall! I bought 150 of those bullets, so hope they work in my brothers gun too (an Omega).

Back