Love me them feral piggies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfd

Reaction score
Longbow kill, 10 years or so ago in SC.

lJ3exWW.jpg

AWESOME Stuff Rob!! I would love to hunt these things someday, I use to think it would be neat to have them close by, But i have read enough about their Destruction that i am glad they Don’t.

Feral hogs are a major epidemic in the USA. They eat everything and anything in sight, even eat themselves. A farmers nightmare. Driving down to Georgia to bowhunt farm land with a bud years ago, he revealed that a good dozen farmers got together and walked through the woods we were about to hunt with shotguns, killing pigs. He said they they killed off about 100 or so. I said "WHAT??? Why are we going to hunt there, ain't no pigs left!!". He laughed big time. We saw DOZENS of hogs and I killed two in one day. Yep, feral pigs are a national epidemic.

A good 10 years ago I read that if 70% of all the wild pigs in our country were killed off, their population would be back to 100% the next year. Heck, there are feral pigs roaming around as far north as NY! The buggers are Everywhere!

Pigs are an animal that would probably survive a Nuclear war, and THRIVE from it. Them & Wild Turkey’s

What’s the Deal with your Bow Rob? Did you make it? They sure are neat looking :lewis:

That's a Mohawk Longobw, built by Vince Migliorato in Colorado. The design is mine and Vince is a master bowyer. The bow is a mild R/D that braces to a classic "D" shape, as you can see in the pic, 64" nock-to-nock and about 52lbs at my 29" draw length. The limb cores and veneers are heat tempered bamboo under clear glass, the riser is laminated cocoboo and hard rock maple. I make all the accoutrements - strings, arrows, tabs, quivers, etc. I prefer wood arrows, but usually wind up using carbons on hunts as they are more stable throughout different temperature and humidity swings. These dayze I use a Howard Hill "Big Five" longbow, 66" ntn, 47lbs at my new 28" (old man's) draw length. ;)

That's a Mohawk Longobw, built by Vince Migliorato in Colorado. The design is mine and Vince is a master bowyer. The bow is a mild R/D that braces to a classic "D" shape, as you can see in the pic, 64" nock-to-nock and about 52lbs at my 29" draw length. The limb cores and veneers are heat tempered bamboo under clear glass, the riser is laminated cocoboo and hard rock maple. I make all the accoutrements - strings, arrows, tabs, quivers, etc. I prefer wood arrows, but usually wind up using carbons on hunts as they are more stable throughout different temperature and humidity swings. These dayze I use a Howard Hill "Big Five" longbow, 66" ntn, 47lbs at my new 28" (old man's) draw length. ;)

That is SUPER COOL Rob!! I would love to see one of these Bows in person, and handle it. Just like the Old Flint Rifles, they are just COOL!!

I have been in to Archery for years, But I cheated Rob :rolleyes: :D I went with a Compound (I stil have a nice one today, Though I don’t use it anymore) I got my first adult Bow about 1985, It was a Hoyt something? I have a Mathews Today

I've been in the archery game since the early 50's. My dad made the lemonwood longbows and cedar arrows and Flemish strings. Good times. In the mid 60s I "progressed" to recurves compounds and spent over a decade competing in freestyle limited/unlimited tournaments, until I couldn't stand missing out on the true nature of archery, sold off those heretic bows, and got back to longbows. Haven't looked back since, don't wanna. :)

This may be somewhat redundant of me, but, My first was a Howard Hill lemonwood 70 pounder in my late teens. Mucho stack! Then on to my favorite the Wing recurves for years ( Nebr and Wyo.) Some years after the service in '66 and '67 I Bought my only compound, Jennings model "T" and shot over everything I aimed at. I sold it to a friend in Nebr and his son still uses it! Don't know if my shoulder would take a Wing short recurve hunter but I can still dream LOL. ..Trader AKA Mossie0

Yes, I built the Trad Gang forum and still admin it for its owner.

Been shooting Hill or Hill style longbows since the early 90s. I too am a member of Trad Gang but its been awhile since I participated on the forum. Nice piggie.

I still have my custom Groves recurve and a Black Widow overdraw recurve from back in the 70's. I still have the Microflites that were made for each bow, probably three dozen for each bow. I made my own arrows and have the fletcher yet. Maybe I should get some fletching materials and start shooting these nice old bows again. That Black Widow has a draw weight of 68 pounds/28" [24" arrow] but I drew a 30" arrow [26" arrow] at right around 74 pounds. The Groves bow scaled at 69 pounds with a 30" arrow. These would kill pigs.

Ive got a 56 in Groves Spitfire Mag I 53@28 that I love, my shoulders just dont care for it anymore.. used to shoot 65-75# bows but just too hard on my body especially after 25 yrs of warehouse/freight work.

Latest posts

Back