Low cost scope reticle canted from recoil.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Recently my rifles reticle has canted. It is hard to say when it actually happened but I know I first noticed it after taking it out to the range out of the case.

I don't know whether it happened while I was shooting last or during the bag while transporting.

I noticed when I push the zoom adjustment past its limit with pressure I can move the Reticle back into the proper position.

On that reticle adjustment there is an Allen key screw. Does that screw lock in the reticle? I have since tightened that screw. I haven't taken it to the range or tried pushing the reticle with the zoom adjustment.

I went online and I looked at a couple of vertical fixes that involved removing a portion of the scope to get to the wire reticle moving it with a toothpick and then gluing it in place. I don't think this is necessary though. I'm not sure how these work but I'm wondering if that screw on the side of the zoom has something to do with holding things in place.

The recoil was from a 30-06. In my collection this is the firearm that I own with the most recoil. The scope itself is an OhHunt 6x24.

IMG_20210507_191123925.jpgIMG_20210507_191145046.jpgIMG_20210507_191237372.jpg

Had the same happened to a weaver 44-40 scope. I removed the ocular and leveled the crosshairs and applied a dab of JB weld to the crosshair ring. Have since replaced the junk with a Burris. Good luck.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the rings didn't loosen up a bit and the scope moved a bit?

You know that's what I checked at first because that's what I thought had happened.

In the picture I straightened the reticle. At the time I noticed the reticle was Canted the first thing I did was grab onto the scope and tried to turn it. Thinking that the scope brings might have loosened up while carrying the rifle in the case to the range.

That's when I noticed no everything is tight and the turrets are in the proper position but the reticle is at a 45° cant!

I figured the scope was toast so I started playing with the zoom adjustment pushed it past it's low and high zoom limit and managed to move the reticle.

Now when I zoom in and out the reticle doesn't move that is unless I apply a fair amount of pressure against that zoom knob.

As always constructive. You must have some time on your hands to dig up my old post just for a "I told you so".

A bit of more accurate info is that I own 4 of the OhHunt Scopes on a few of my rifles including the black powder rifle in that post. Which btw is still working well. The 30.06 happens to be my hardest recoil rifle and there is no telling if the scope that was on it was defective from the get or was damaged do to recoil.

You really make me work to post explaintions for things that don't really remedy the situation. Wasted effort imo. Thanks anyway.

I already know how you feel about cheap Scopes and me but its not what I asked. The purpose of your post is simply to say I told you so. Had it been another member I doubt it would fly.

I have a Williams scope that does stuff like that.

It happens.

Recently my rifles reticle has canted. It is hard to say when it actually happened but I know I first noticed it after taking it out to the range out of the case.

I don't know whether it happened while I was shooting last or during the bag while transporting.

I noticed when I push the zoom adjustment past its limit with pressure I can move the Reticle back into the proper position.

On that reticle adjustment there is an Allen key screw. Does that screw lock in the reticle? I have since tightened that screw. I haven't taken it to the range or tried pushing the reticle with the zoom adjustment.

I went online and I looked at a couple of vertical fixes that involved removing a portion of the scope to get to the wire reticle moving it with a toothpick and then gluing it in place. I don't think this is necessary though. I'm not sure how these work but I'm wondering if that screw on the side of the zoom has something to do with holding things in place.

The recoil was from a 30-06. In my collection this is the firearm that I own with the most recoil. The scope itself is an OhHunt 6x24.

View attachment 14417View attachment 14418View attachment 14419

Thats why you get what pay for things.
I worked in a gun shop for 10 +
years.
The low end scope even with life time warranty were crap. When the broke the customer would send it back an it was replaced with another scope normally a different scope.
Again you get what you pay for. These are cheap for a reason

Thats why you get what pay for things.
I worked in a gun shop for 10 +
years.
The low end scope even with life time warranty were crap. When the broke the customer would send it back an it was replaced with another scope normally a different scope.
Again you get what you pay for. These are cheap for a reason

Eh yes and no. There there have been value brands with decent construction.

all my Scopes are budget. I own a total of 8 everyone is in a rifle. This one is the only one that failed. 1 out of 8 ain't bad.

cost savings? 8x50 400 bucks. This includes Scopes that are 6x24.

average decent vortex 8x200 1600 for 8 3x9 zoom Scopes.

maybe y'all buy a few good Scopes and switch em around or just have a few rifles. In that case yes I'd buy a more expensive one. However when you own 8+ rifles and you are on a budget... OhHunt, Pinty, cvlife become brands you own.

The Williams scope is from the Williams Gun Sight Co. My brother left it to me when he passed 26 years ago. It is on a Browning A-Bolt he bought from that company. I may be wrong but I dont think Williams put their name on poor quality scopes. My point was that even quality scopes have a problem now and then.

In Half-cockeds behalf I owned a lot of Tasco Scopes when that was what I could afford. I know I owned a few other cheaper ones whose names I don't remember right off. I killed a pile of all kinds of game with them. The glass wasn't perfect around the edges but when I put the cross hairs on the target it was clear enough.

I have a friend who just a few weeks ago bought a cheap savage bolt in .243 Win. He did the bedding, trigger job, lapping, etc. He put a cheap scope on it and asked me if I had cases to reload. I lent him some custom cases and a week later he sent me a pic of a 3 shot group at 100 yards that measured .257. Ill bet 90% of the shooters out there cant do that with the most expensive rifles.

You can only afford what you can afford. If it works it works.

Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes a bad. Nowadays it's a crapshoot no matter what the price, or what the item (and that is anything made by man). Quality product means nothing anymore as QC has gone downhill the last 20-30+ years.

I dont have a problem buying an older scope. If it hasnt been destroyed by the time its 20 years old then it'll probably work well enough for me. And old scopes are often much less expensive. First scope i ever owned came on the first rifle i owned, a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x32. I would buy a bunch of them. Still works great 30+ years later.

Literally just got done fixing a Bushy sportview 4X wide angle, hopefully it will work again, I lent it to my Dad for his Omega but he didn't loctite the base down and the crosshair broke, I borrowed one from my wife and superglued it in reassembled and it looks good. Now to see if it works good.

I guess your variable power would be a bit more complicated to take apart but I figure what have you got to loose?

However when you own 8+ rifles and you are on a budget... OhHunt, Pinty, cvlife become brands you own.

Never heard of them before this so no they would not and i dont buy Chinese scopes although some of the Athlons might be pretty decent. Then again, they are not a $50 scope either. I would rather have 4 nice rifles with nice glass than 8 rifles with glass i would never trust when it counts.

Remember even the best Scopes probably started as a no name until people recognized them by name and reputation.

These foreign manufactured Scopes have been fairly good to me in all honesty. They hold 0 and track properly. Poi remains true throughout the zoom. What more can you ask? Plus I like the reticles.

The Center point I bought is complete junk that was returned asap.

I would rather have 8 inexpensive rifles that shoot quarters at 100 yards than 4 expensive rifles that do the same thing. I never doubted my scopes. As said, killed a lot of game with them. Different philosophy I guess. I consider a gun a tool and nothing else. If an inexpensive tool gets the job done that works for me.

I drive a 2009 Colorado with 215,000 miles on it. It gets me where I need to go. Inexpensive.

I have high-end scopes,, I have economy scopes,, I do find myself consistently looking for quality in the economy scopes,, 20 years ago I would have definitely been in the buy the best high-end scope you can, about 15 years ago my best friend was developing Big bore military cartridges some of the most famous ones that are now being shot, during that time he was shooting thousands and I'm not exaggerating 300 grain 338 bullets and some larger bores, most of these rifles had muzzle brakes however some did not, my observation of his experience during that time change my view of high-end scopes I will not say which scope he had to send back the most to have repaired, actually he would just send them back and eventually tell the scope company to not send the free Scopes to test anymore, these were all the top scope makers from all over the world Leupold ,Swarovski night Force ,us optics etc, all of these Scopes had phenomenal clear glass and excellent tracking, all I have to say is you don't always get what you pay for it's a good thing most of the top end scope companies warranty their products. My muzzleloaders have blown up cheap Scopes and my muzzleloaders have blown up some expensive ones. Again I'm amazed at the passion that rifle scopes raise!!!

.............On that reticle adjustment there is an Allen key screw. Does that screw lock in the reticle? I have since tightened that screw. I haven't taken it to the range or tried pushing the reticle with the zoom adjustment.

A new scope for $45.99 and the crosshairs go bad? Throw it out and buy another.

Now, don't come back with budget crap, when you can afford a cell phone and/or a computer and internet access to post here.

If a $45.99 scope works for you, keep buying them. If you only shoot them a couple times a year, they could last you but, shooting 100 or more rounds a year, you'll likely have more problems.

If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?

Most shooters would rather own a scope that may have a 1 to 1000 failure rate than a scope that likely has a 1 to 100 failure rate.

To address your only question, I have no clue about any allen key screws that may lock a reticle. I've never owned a scope of that style.

Once you open a scope, you let out the dry nitrogen gas and then it may be prone to fogging. I have a cheap Bushnell spotting scope that has that problem. Good enough for the range, but not for hunting. I've only had two scope failures, one was a Redfield that fogged up back in the '80s, and recently a Nikon with a broken vertical reticle. That's when I found out that Nikon's are only warranted to the original owner. I've got mostly old Leupolds on my rifles. They are light weight, which is important to me in my old age.

Once you open a scope, you let out the dry nitrogen gas and then it may be prone to fogging.
That was the first thing i thought of.

I have no clue about any allen key screws that may lock a reticle
Maybe its where you screw in a throw lever. The first pic posted shows a spanner ring inside the ocular bell. That may be what secures the lens.

Now, don't come back with budget crap, when you can afford a cell phone and/or a computer and internet access to post here.

You forgot the $1600 worth of USA made AK and AR. :p
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/...th-firearms-decision.38434/page-3#post-343398

Latest posts

Back