LRMP MODULES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D55

Reaction score
I have put quite a number of shots out of these modules (brass) HIS system, somewhere between 50-75 shots each and I started having a hard bolt closing just recently. I had replaced my breechplug and was considering that to be the issue. Tried a new AB module and no issue. I measured the nozzle where it inserts into the plug and found .004 larger on the fired modules than the new. After thinking about it I realized that just like rifle cartridges the metal work hardens. I annealed the modules resized them pressing them into the breechplug and eureka no more hard bolt closing. Just an FYI if anyone ever experiences this.

Not sure how many rounds I have with the Arrowhead modules with SML, quite a few, but the modules are the hardened modules. Nary an issue to this point.

I have put quite a number of shots out of these modules (brass) HIS system, somewhere between 50-75 shots each and I started having a hard bolt closing just recently. I had replaced my breechplug and was considering that to be the issue. Tried a new AB module and no issue. I measured the nozzle where it inserts into the plug and found .004 larger on the fired modules than the new. After thinking about it I realized that just like rifle cartridges the metal work hardens. I annealed the modules resized them pressing them into the breechplug and eureka no more hard bolt closing. Just an FYI if anyone ever experiences this.
very smart

Great Info! When you annealed the nozzles were the case heads submerged in water? How Hot did you get them?

I've had some of the Standard Brass LRMP Modules "Grow" & had to have .006" Trimmed Off, but these were Fired / Shared in a few different breech plugs.

I did not submerge but heated with Propane torch heads and all til they started changing color. Not sure how long the annealing will last. It was an attempt to save $3.50-$400 a piece for new ones. I have 25 new AB modules but have been using the brass ones as an indicator of pressure (loose primer pockets). With a small shank barrel I am using this as an indicator and have not went to the harder module. I have no plans on upping my loads with this barrel contour. I guess I'm just a cheap SOG. Mine were all from one gun and you won't find variance in a HIS plug to even .001 in my experience anyway. I have used a few.

The Hankins modules need to be resized if you want to reuse them in a different breach plug ,he has a video on it and sells a primer module resizing tool for that.

I have one and it is a bushing that your breechplug screws into. You run the combo into the bottom side of the press and put the modules in the shell holder and press them into the plug. the nozzles on the modules and the breech plug are a tapered fit compression if you will and after repeated use the modules no doubt work harden just like brass cartridge cases and grow.

Update on the annealing of the brass modules. 3 out of 5 blew the primer pockets and the other 2 leaked around the primer. Sooo I am scrapping the rest of the ones I annealed and switching to a new batch of AB modules. Just an FYI

Update on the annealing of the brass modules. 3 out of 5 blew the primer pockets and the other 2 leaked around the primer. Sooo I am scrapping the rest of the ones I annealed and switching to a new batch of AB modules. Just an FYI

The case heads of all types of brass should not be annealed, for the same reason that you have just discovered.
If you can heat the Hankins modules in a way that would only anneal the nipple section, it might be OK.
Since the modules as so short, that may not be easy.

If you could figure out a way to fasten a heat-sink of some type or a wet rag on the head end you might be to make it work.
Brownells sells a heat-sink paste to protect parts that are being welded.

Thanks for the info I have a lot of shots on them and no doubt got my $$ worth out of them. I have new AB modules that are harder so I am pitching the others.

IIRC didn’t some of those have a “Hard” Life using 4227? You definitely got your money’s worth

I wonder if you could do them like annealing normal brass? Put them in a pan of water that just comes up above the case head, and anneal the remainder? I'm new to the SML, so forgive my ignorance, but is the issue the cylinder that fits inside the breech plug?

Latest posts

Back