Lube Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato boy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
That fellow on the cap and ball channel ( don’t recall his name, going senile) talks about using synthetic motor oil in his lube recipe. He doesn’t mention any other specifics. He applies it on the spot using a Pedersoli portable type lube applicator. I was just reading an old article on muzzleloaders and came across his formula. It consists of 2 parts bees wax, 4 parts tallow and 4 parts synthetic motor oil. Anyone ever try this, or one of those Pedersoli lubbers?

It looks like a recipe very much like a lot of others. The motor oil is different. Some use different vegetable oils instead. The luber looks pretty cool. I can't find where to buy one tho. I've gone to the range once or twice and found that i didn't grease all my bullets. This would have been handy.

I have one of those Pedersoli bullet lubers with .450" and .540" inserts. I got mine from Flintlocks, Etc. about 10 years ago. They are a full line dealer for Pedersoli.

It looks like a recipe very much like a lot of others. The motor oil is different. Some use different vegetable oils instead. The luber looks pretty cool. I can't find where to buy one tho. I've gone to the range once or twice and found that i didn't grease all my bullets. This would have been handy.
The shooter in question is a world class competitor, he warns against using vegetable based lubes, which surprises me. He swears by Synthetic motor oil, not the regular type

Reading the Dutch Shoultz method, he recommended old school Napa cutting oil and water. Napa reformulated so now ballistol and water. I used a lube similar for conical deer tallow, olive oil and bees wax worked fine and is still shelf stable after 10 years made like a quart. Note the ballistol and water was for cleaning between shots and for patches for PRB cut at the muzzle.

Not sure about synthetic oil but if your shooting black powder and want to make asphalt inside your barrel petroleum based oils will do just that. Veggie oils such as olive , avocado, safflower and others are the norm. Neatsfoot oil is also used. I look for ingredients that have the highest smoke point also.

I have one of those Pedersoli bullet lubers with .450" and .540" inserts. I got mine from Flintlocks, Etc. about 10 years ago. They are a full line dealer for Pedersoli.
Thx. I wish Pedersoli had a "where to buy" link.
Flintlock etc has a 32" brass droptube on sale for $35, I've been after one for a little while.

The shooter in question is a world class competitor, he warns against using vegetable based lubes, which surprises me. He swears by Synthetic motor oil, not the regular type
A lot of folks use a recipe of tallow, beeswax, and _____ oil. I wonder what his theory against veg oil is? I know the synth oils aren't petroleum-based but some have additional petroleum products added. Some guys have said thats not good with certain powder types. I made a lube thats works good for me with bh209. Paraffin, beeswax, and vaseline.

Not sure about synthetic oil but if your shooting black powder and want to make asphalt inside your barrel petroleum based oils will do just that. Veggie oils such as olive , avocado, safflower and others are the norm. Neatsfoot oil is also used. I look for ingredients that have the highest smoke point also.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately and have come across the cautions you gave on petroleums and BP. Mineral spirits and Vaseline are petroleum products and are used by a lot of shooters. Ballistol also contains mineral spirits. In conversation with shooters it seems that not all petroleum products react negatively with BP, but some do. The lube formula I listed above is rather runny from watching him apply it on video, you must apply as you load. Thus the Pedersoli luber. I can’t find anyone yet that has actually tried it. I guess I’ll have to give it a go.

Thx. I wish Pedersoli had a "where to buy" link.
Flintlock etc has a 32" brass droptube on sale for $35, I've been after one for a little while.

A lot of folks use a recipe of tallow, beeswax, and _____ oil. I wonder what his theory against veg oil is? I know the synth oils aren't petroleum-based but some have additional petroleum products added. Some guys have said thats not good with certain powder types. I made a lube thats works good for me with bh209. Paraffin, beeswax, and vaseline.
He doesn’t like the veggie based lubes as much I’m not sure why.

Yup, both paraffin and Vaseline contain petroleum. With black powder you will get leading and a buildup that would make you wish it was only something like bore butter. BH209 is not BP so you prolly wont have the problems you could get with black powder. Tallow , bees wax and whatever oil you choose shouldn't be a problem . Most tallows have a pretty high smoke point, I prefer all of my ingredient's to have the highest smoke point possible. Bees wax is just a carrier and used in lots of lube recipes for both black and smokeless powders , but there are better carriers.

I just tried a new recipe. I tweaked one I used a while ago.
1/4 lb beeswax
1/4 lb crisco
1 T mineral oil
1 T castor oil
1 T Lanolin
Gonna shoot it this weekend. About the consistency of chapstick. Hopefully it shoots well.

I just tried a new recipe. I tweaked one I used a while ago.
1/4 lb beeswax
1/4 lb crisco
1 T mineral oil
1 T castor oil
1 T Lanolin
Gonna shoot it this weekend. About the consistency of chapstick. Hopefully it shoots well.
I look forward to hearing about it

Im looking for a good patch lube. I have a traditions. 32 crockett "my first patch and ball shooter" i got some pre lubed patches but would like to make my own out of pillow ticking. The pre lubed ones were with a Bore butter of a sort cant remember the kind. They worked good but could make my own way cheaper. I have bore butter but looking for other options.

Track of the Wolf sells tins of Mink oil patch lube, I use this most of the time when hunting.
I also use a variation of "Stumpies Moose Snot", I use neats foot oil instead of castor oil(I call it Deer Snot). It works just fine!
You can find the recipe on the sister forum - Muzzle Loading Forum - or just Google it.
Lots of various patch lube recipes are available... almost as many as there are round ball shooters...
Good Luck! And Track of the Wolf Mink oil is very popular!
Sam A.

I look forward to hearing about it
I shot tonight, that lube worked fantastic. I shot 3 shots of 80 grains Pyrodex Select swabbing with a dry patch between each shot, I was able to go clear to the breech plug and back up with moderate pressure. The next 4 shots were without swabbing and each bullet slid effortlessly to the powder charge (I shoot slip fit bullets 0.0005 under bore size).
I then dry patched the barrel and shot 3 shots 80 grains Black MZ. Dry patching in between each shot. The fouling was a little worse at the breech and I had to use a cheater on my ramrod extension to pull the ramrod back up. The next 3 with Black MZ I shot without a dry patch follow up and they, once again slid effortlessly to the powder charge. I don’t think I’ll be changing this recipe any time soon. It seems to leave the fouling pretty soft. Don’t know how it will work with real black I can’t get any here without paying hazmat fees and I don’t want to order only one pound to try it out. If I gotta pay hazmat, I want to order at least five pounds.

Back