Lube Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I made some, 1 part beeswax, 2 parts tallow and 2 parts 0w40 synthetic Mobil oil. It has the appearance of SPG but much softer. I will test when it warms up. - 28 here this am. Burrrr!
Looks like somebody has been sticking their finger in your cake :roll: Let us know how it does.

Deviant minds at play.......:dance2:
Same thing only different than men at work.......:eek:

Hi everyone,
That fellow on the cap and ball channel ( don’t recall his name, going senile) talks about using synthetic motor oil in his lube recipe. He doesn’t mention any other specifics. He applies it on the spot using a Pedersoli portable type lube applicator. I was just reading an old article on muzzleloaders and came across his formula. It consists of 2 parts bees wax, 4 parts tallow and 4 parts synthetic motor oil. Anyone ever try this, or one of those Pedersoli lubbers?

A couple of our guys have experimented with this with varying results. First off DO NOT mix a conventional petroleum oil with BP fouling. It's a short trip to a mess. The only caveat here is pure synthetic Mobil1 mixed with beeswax. I've used it in PRB guns and some with Minies and it works ok. Since I don't compete with PRB, I've focused on Minies and it's not as good as beeswax/lard in my guns.

A couple of our guys have experimented with this with varying results. First off DO NOT mix a conventional petroleum oil with BP fouling. It's a short trip to a mess. The only caveat here is pure synthetic Mobil1 mixed with beeswax. I've used it in PRB guns and some with Minies and it works ok. Since I don't compete with PRB, I've focused on Minies and it's not as good as beeswax/lard in my guns.

I have made it with Mobile, I’m hoping to go out next weekend, if the weather holds.

Well I have been trying the lube for some time now, it works really well. No lead deposit at all, fowling is soft and easy to clean in both conical and patched ball. Accuracy with conical is good. It is a bit soft in the heat. I think this will make it perfect for fall however, especially living in Canada

I started Lubing my Wool Felt Wads with a Full Synthetic Motor oil, Works like a Champ :lewis: Makes a VERY NOTICEABLE Difference in Fouling, Especially with my Paper Patch Bullets since they are Shot BONE DRY

Back