Lube Recipes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people are starting to look at cast bullets, due to the recent component shortage.

I have done a little experimental work in powder coating cast bullets during the last couple of weeks.

It may not completely replace lubing muzzleloader bullets, but it should at least greatly reduce leading of the barrel.
I have been adding a little lube to the outside of the powdercoat before loading.

The bullet below is from the Lee 450-294-M mold. It was sized after powder coating to .455 for use in a Douglas .458, 1-22 twist barrel I put on a Remington 700ML action.

Attachments

• ModernMinie Powdercoated.jpg
    ModernMinie Powdercoated.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PowderCoat Oven.jpg
    PowderCoat Oven.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 25
  • MinieRecovered.jpg
    MinieRecovered.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I too am going to try powder coated bullets in my MLs. I've been using them in some of my lever rifles with good results. I did go to the range with some lubed and some powder coated bullets in my .45 GMLRH barrel but that was almost a disaster. I had a brain fart and the powder coated bullets I grabbed were a hard alloy (19 BHN). I wasn't thinking. First shot went off without a hitch, swabbed the bore, started the second one with the short starter and it was down the bore about 5-6". I couldn't budge it any more with my polymer range rod.
I ended up going home and fortunately I had a 3/8" solid brass rod and a 3/8" oak dowel. I cut a foot off the dowel leaving me with 2' left. I used the shorter one and a plastic mallet and drove the bullet down. Then use the longer piece of dowel and finally the brass rod and checking with my range rod I was down on the powder. I took it out to the woods near my house and shot it off without issue. A borescoping and later trip to the range showed no harmful effects.
Not to self: Don't use a hard full bore conical in muzzy!

I too am going to try powder coated bullets in my MLs. I've been using them in some of my lever rifles with good results. I did go to the range with some lubed and some powder coated bullets in my .45 GMLRH barrel but that was almost a disaster. I had a brain fart and the powder coated bullets I grabbed were a hard alloy (19 BHN). I wasn't thinking. First shot went off without a hitch, swabbed the bore, started the second one with the short starter and it was down the bore about 5-6". I couldn't budge it any more with my polymer range rod.
I ended up going home and fortunately I had a 3/8" solid brass rod and a 3/8" oak dowel. I cut a foot off the dowel leaving me with 2' left. I used the shorter one and a plastic mallet and drove the bullet down. Then use the longer piece of dowel and finally the brass rod and checking with my range rod I was down on the powder. I took it out to the woods near my house and shot it off without issue. A borescoping and later trip to the range showed no harmful effects.
Not to self: Don't use a hard full bore conical in muzzy!

Do you size the bullets after you powder-coat them?

Ninering, Yes normally I do. It pretty much depends on the bullet I'm casting. The coating adds about .001" to the bullet diameter so if I'm casting a .457" bullet for my 45-70 Marlins I won't size after coating. However when I cast my .459" bullets for my 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps I do size after coating as they would be too big. The sizing does not affect the coating because the coating bonds to the bullet. I'm not sure how much you can down size to see and removal of the coating but a couple thousands won't bother it

SAVE your deer fat and render it down and add murphys oil soap until you get the right consistancy.For years i threw it away..never thinking except WOW waste..Not anymore

SAVE your deer fat and render it down and add murphys oil soap until you get the right consistancy.For years i threw it away..never thinking except WOW waste..Not anymore
Never thought of that. And although I didn't get a deer myself this season (1st time in over 30 years) the couple my friend got had a lot of fat on them. We threw it all out during processing. Wish I would have read this then.

Never thought of that. And although I didn't get a deer myself this season (1st time in over 30 years) the couple my friend got had a lot of fat on them. We threw it all out during processing. Wish I would have read this then.
I KNOW..SAME here i woke up after years of thinking when i had them hanging and cutting the fat off..what the heck..hmmm Then i wanted to get a recipe going ...was going to order mutton tallow...and that was more money than i figured it was worth...THINKING mutton -sheep-deer..i know they use reindeer fat imported fro finland for boot wax and for wire cable to slide through tight explosion proof boxes..keep the electric isolated from fuel..SO THEN it hit me.

I am really interested in using the various animal fats (bear, sheep, skunk, etc.) but how long will it keep for without getting rancid? For muzzleloading bullets that I lube for I have been very happy with this recipe and I hunt mostly in the Southeastern states FL, GA, AL, SC and NC, so things can get from hot to sub-artic quickly. Temps ranging from mid 90's to low 20's this has been a great lube. I shoot mostly 2F Swiss powder and my lube of choice has been;

This is by weight,
16oz. Beeswax
16oz. Crisco
2oz. Lanolin (paste type)
with a couple Crayola crayons in color of choice for accent.

Well I use olive oil and very very hard beeswax you can sort of judge and make it to the consistency you want I also had crayon for color

eh feel under dressed 50/50 Bees Wax (yellow) Lambs Tallow Hey picked it up off Guns Of the West Dustin Winegar? works for black powder as well as boolits but hey I am simple,

EMMERT'S LUBE

I have used Emmert's Home Mix for both Black Powder and Smokeless loads with excellent
results:
50% pure natural beeswax
40% Crisco
10% Canola Oil (all measurements by volume).
Melt using a double boiler (overheating damages the lube).

A refinement is to reduce the Canola Oil by half and replace that half with Anhydrous
Lanolin. So, the improved Emmert's is:
50% beeswax
40% Crisco
5% Canola Oil
5% Lanolin.
YUP that refinement is what I use for both cast bullet lube and my wads/patches my exact is 20 ounces Bees Wax, 16 ounces/1lb Crisco, 2 ounces Lanolin (Anhydrous) and 2 ounces Canola Oil. Heat Wax til melted in a double boiler, add Canola, Crisco wait til Crisco Melted add Lanolin mix thoroughly, I an dunk DuroFelt, pan lube bullets or store use as needed

Emmett’s lube has proven to me to be a very good with black powder subs and smokeless pistol loads.

Latest posts

Back