Lube Recipes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad's all season minie ball lube

( Winter recipe )

1 part crisco shortening

1 part T/C bore butter

1 part bees wax

1/10th part extra virgin olive oil

Method;
melt bees wax in cast iron pan, bring up to smoke point and remove from heat. Add bore butter and crisco, stir for 20 minutes with a whisk, at about 15 minutes add olive oil. Let cool in pan and cut into managable blocks.

( Summer recipe )

1part crisco

1 part T/C bore butter

3 parts bees wax

1/10th part extra virgin olive oil

Use the same method as winter recipe, this will be much harder than the winter recipe and won't "melt" off your minie bullets on those hot summer days at the range and is non toxic, so eat all you want.

Known the world over as "Old number 91"

( BEN'S LIQUID LUBE )

Here's the recipe for the tumble lube called "Ben's Liquid Lube", BLL. I checked into it and found out the recipe changed slightly in early 2017, due to the main ingredient no longer being manufactured. An alternative has been located and is working fine. There are now three ingredients:
- 30% Lee Liquid Alox or Xlox (leeprecision.com)
- 35% Lundmark Liquid Paste Wax (available at a hardware store like Ace)
- 35% Odorless Mineral Spirits or Naptha " "
- Combine ingredients in something like a plastic ketchup bottle, add a couple of 1/4" nuts to help with agitation, and shake thoroughly; no heating required. The proportions are not set in stone; it's OK to vary them as needed. The mixture should pour like Coke out of a bottle. If it's too thick, add more mineral spirits and shake.
If the Alox has been sitting for a while, it is normal for it to have thickened considerably. Soaking the bottle of Alox in hot water will thin it out.
- Take a plastic margarine bowl and add a very few drops of BLL. Right now I'm using four drops BLL per ten .50 cal conicals of 416 grains. Gently roll the bullets around until evenly coated, for about one minute. Remove with some type of tweezers and stand upright on wax paper. Logic may tell you that that is not nearly enough lube, but resist the temptation to add more. You are NOT trying to fill the lube grooves, just a light coat on the bearing surfaces. Upon close inspection, you can barely see any coating on the bullets at all. If there are any droplets accumulating on the wax paper, you're using way too much.
- Let dry overnight
- Size bullets (if necessary)
- Apply a second coat, dry, and shoot!
Some caveats:
- I only have limited experience with this. I have only shot muzzleloading bullets using this lube method one time, and the results were excellent. However, if you try it, proceed with caution. Start with reduced amounts of powder and work up slowly, always checking for abnormalities like high pressure, bore leading, etc. Hopefully, acccuracy will be as good as with standard wax type lubes. Do a search for Ben's Liquid Lube to learn more. There are lots of rave reviews about the process being used for cartridge shooting of all calibers, in all kinds of temperature ranges, both handgun and rifle, at velocities even exceeding 2500 fps. I have found almost no info on using it in muzzleloaders, however, so I look forward to further experimentation with it. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't work well. If it does, it will GREATLY reduce the aggravation I experience with pan lubing and then sizing. Give it a try and report on your results!

( BEN'S LIQUID LUBE )

Here's the recipe for the tumble lube called "Ben's Liquid Lube", BLL. I checked into it and found out the recipe changed slightly in early 2017, due to the main ingredient no longer being manufactured. An alternative has been located and is working fine. There are now three ingredients:
- 30% Lee Liquid Alox or Xlox (leeprecision.com)
- 35% Lundmark Liquid Paste Wax (available at a hardware store like Ace)
- 35% Odorless Mineral Spirits or Naptha " "
- Combine ingredients in something like a plastic ketchup bottle, add a couple of 1/4" nuts to help with agitation, and shake thoroughly; no heating required. The proportions are not set in stone; it's OK to vary them as needed. The mixture should pour like Coke out of a bottle. If it's too thick, add more mineral spirits and shake.
If the Alox has been sitting for a while, it is normal for it to have thickened considerably. Soaking the bottle of Alox in hot water will thin it out.
- Take a plastic margarine bowl and add a very few drops of BLL. Right now I'm using four drops BLL per ten .50 cal conicals of 416 grains. Gently roll the bullets around until evenly coated, for about one minute. Remove with some type of tweezers and stand upright on wax paper. Logic may tell you that that is not nearly enough lube, but resist the temptation to add more. You are NOT trying to fill the lube grooves, just a light coat on the bearing surfaces. Upon close inspection, you can barely see any coating on the bullets at all. If there are any droplets accumulating on the wax paper, you're using way too much.
- Let dry overnight
- Size bullets (if necessary)
- Apply a second coat, dry, and shoot!
Some caveats:
- I only have limited experience with this. I have only shot muzzleloading bullets using this lube method one time, and the results were excellent. However, if you try it, proceed with caution. Start with reduced amounts of powder and work up slowly, always checking for abnormalities like high pressure, bore leading, etc. Hopefully, acccuracy will be as good as with standard wax type lubes. Do a search for Ben's Liquid Lube to learn more. There are lots of rave reviews about the process being used for cartridge shooting of all calibers, in all kinds of temperature ranges, both handgun and rifle, at velocities even exceeding 2500 fps. I have found almost no info on using it in muzzleloaders, however, so I look forward to further experimentation with it. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't work well. If it does, it will GREATLY reduce the aggravation I experience with pan lubing and then sizing. Give it a try and report on your results!
Thanks for moving this . Great lube for accuracy in my 410 Super 91 White . Its not meant for keeping fouling soft but accuracy is outstanding with a knurled oversize conical . Great BH209 lube too .

I haven't tried any fancy recipes yet, still fairly new to this.
I took 16 oz. of scented wax cubes, (vanilla cupcake I believe) melted them slow over the stove and then mixed in 2 cups of bearing grease.
Filled an old empty boot polish tin, and poured the rest into a Tupperware container.
It's far from perfect, it's a little stiff in winter and a little soft in summer, but it's simple cheap and easy.
For an under the ball lube it's worked well enough.

I'll have to try some of these more complicated formulas once I've run this stuff out.

All these recipes can make a guy's head spin! :D I like Idaholewis Recipe. The problem is you need to catch a SKUNK! Literally

It Don’t get any better than this Ed :D Just go REAL SLOW and Steady with your Knife :lewis: And Keep telling yourself “It looks like Chicken” See them 2 Red Arrows? There will be 2 Glands Pop up in those Spots, DON’T Puncture those!! If you do? You will be forced to EXIT the Scene WITHOUT your Skunk Fat, And if you have Neighbors Close by? You won’t be Very Popular with them for Awhile! SLOW N STEADY With that Knife :lewis:
xyCsD1v.jpg

Remember this Game OPERATION? Same Principle!
MFNfaZr.jpg

ygOfoSHm.jpg

Render it down in a Double Boiler Setup nice n slow
hUHgHmLm.jpg

The End Result, 1 Less Skunk Around these Parts ;) If all goes well, you will be Rewarded with some of the BEST Bullet Lube you can Obtain! :lewis:
f3RIDdd.jpg

It Don’t get any better than this Ed :D Just go REAL SLOW and Steady with your Knife :lewis: And Keep telling yourself “It looks like Chicken” See them 2 Red Arrows? There will be 2 Glands Pop up in those Spots, DON’T Puncture those!! If you do? You will be forced to EXIT the Scene WITHOUT your Skunk Fat, And if you have Neighbors Close by? You won’t be Very Popular with them for Awhile! SLOW N STEADY With that Knife :lewis:
xyCsD1v.jpg

Remember this Game OPERATION? Same Principle!
MFNfaZr.jpg

ygOfoSHm.jpg

Render it down in a Double Boiler Setup nice n slow
hUHgHmLm.jpg

The End Result, 1 Less Skunk Around these Parts ;) If all goes well, you will be Rewarded with some of the BEST Bullet Lube you can Obtain! :lewis:
f3RIDdd.jpg
Friend you got STONES !!!!!!!!

Trying something new for my bullets this time. Using 100g of beeswax, 100g lamb tallow, 20g of olive oil, and 20g of lanolin. Thru in some red candle wax color so i will know when i made this batch and whats in it. Took my 12 starter bullets and dipped then in the lube. Gonna roll them in my BLL in the morning and should be set for a range day real soon.
DL
Ignorance is usually bliss, but I gotta ask cause I’m ignorant. What is BLL? I’ve seen it referenced a few times.

Ignorance is usually bliss, but I gotta ask cause I’m ignorant. What is BLL? I’ve seen it referenced a few times.
Scroll on back to post #24 is what it is and the recipe . I LOVE this stuff !!!!

I live in a world of acronyms iCU, NICU PACU, OR, ER etc... still slow to catch on....

I live in a world of acronyms iCU, NICU PACU, OR, ER etc... still slow to catch on....
Thats ok me too !!! Ive developed a 400gr pp , hb 409 bullet knurled oversize (4095 bore) for my 410 Super 91 . I routinely shoot the Best groups with it cuz of BLL and a 1/2 cotton ball idea from Idaholewis , .562 to .570's Total Bullet Hole Diameter !!!!!!!! BLL allows me the slip fit sizeing with Pure Lead for a Really tight obturation along with knurling for mini lube pockets . Oh yea , thats with a 1 x 6 scope too !!! The gun is a Lazer !!! No Leading !!! Max load is 100gr in a 410 and i shoot 90gr T7 3F only because i figured fps was a bit fast for good bullet preformance on deer . It actually is slightly more accurate at 85 or 80 gr but , hey , i do like a Little more speed !!! Lol !!! I also brush and patch 1 damp 1 dry after every shot .
..Its what " Mighty Whitey" likes:) , - the gun's name.....
This configuration took alot of time , effort , and planning .Not to forget the 2 things that made this all possible -- BLL and Idaholewis's wonderfull tip !!! I hope you can understand why im so very proud of it .

Last edited:
Thats ok me too !!! Ive developed a 400gr pp , hb 409 bullet knurled oversize (4095 bore) for my 410 Super 91 . I routinely shoot the Best groups with it cuz of BLL and a 1/2 cotton ball idea from Idaholewis , .562 to .570's Total Bullet Hole Diameter !!!!!!!! BLL allows me the slip fit sizeing with Pure Lead for a Really tight obturation along with knurling for mini lube pockets . Oh yea , thats with a 1 x 6 scope too !!! The gun is a Lazer !!! No Leading !!! Max load is 100gr in a 410 and i shoot 90gr T7 3F only because i figured fps was a bit fast for good bullet preformance on deer . It actually is slightly more accurate at 85 or 80 gr but , hey , i do like a Little more speed !!! Lol !!! I also brush and patch 1 damp 1 dry after every shot .
..Its what " Mighty Whitey" likes:) , - the gun's name.....
This configuration took alot of time , effort , and planning .Not to forget the 2 things that made this all possible -- BLL and Idaholewis's wonderfull tip !!! I hope you can understand why im so very proud of it .
I would be too! I only tried the swab between shots and over powder wads on my .504 S91. It didn’t like it. It liked the Teflon tape bullet on a clean bore then the next three with no swabbing a lot better. I didn’t try over powder wads with those groups cause I didn’t take enough powder charges, and I wanted to see what it would do in a hunting situation. I don’t want to mess with over powder wads for follow up shots. I’m gonna try sizing a bullet .001 larger for first shot with a wad, then the next three slip fit sized without a wad to see if that first shot stays in the group. With the Teflon tape bullet included in the group when I tried it that way, the group was about 2” the next three were either in or cutting lines on the 1” squares at 100 yards.

I would be too! I only tried the swab between shots and over powder wads on my .504 S91. It didn’t like it. It liked the Teflon tape bullet on a clean bore then the next three with no swabbing a lot better. I didn’t try over powder wads with those groups cause I didn’t take enough powder charges, and I wanted to see what it would do in a hunting situation. I don’t want to mess with over powder wads for follow up shots. I’m gonna try sizing a bullet .001 larger for first shot with a wad, then the next three slip fit sized without a wad to see if that first shot stays in the group. With the Teflon tape bullet included in the group when I tried it that way, the group was about 2” the next three were either in or cutting lines on the 1” squares at 100 yards.
Excellant results sdporter !!! With my White powerpunch conicals i got with my gun i get the best results either your way or swab and use teflon tape like an X with bullet in center and pull the tape up the 4 sides of the bullet and sqeeze in on with my fingers so it sticks to the lube . Doesnt shoot quite as good as my knurled jobs but still really good .

Excellant results sdporter !!! With my White powerpunch conicals i got with my gun i get the best results either your way or swab and use teflon tape like an X with bullet in center and pull the tape up the 4 sides of the bullet and sqeeze in on with my fingers so it sticks to the lube . Doesnt shoot quite as good as my knurled jobs but still really good .
I never thought about that. A Teflon tape sabot. I took a spiraling wrap up the bullet then stuffed it in. The TT sabot would probably be better. I’ll give that a try.

Looking like I might be able to shoot on Monday! Got two houseboats to rough in duct on and 1 to do finish on, before I can go. Hopefully be done on Sunday morning, cast Sunday afternoon, shoot Monday!

Latest posts

Back