Lube Recipes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellant results sdporter !!! With my White powerpunch conicals i got with my gun i get the best results either your way or swab and use teflon tape like an X with bullet in center and pull the tape up the 4 sides of the bullet and sqeeze in on with my fingers so it sticks to the lube . Doesnt shoot quite as good as my knurled jobs but still really good .
I think all you need is to simulate the fouled bore for that first shot, just a little extra resistance on that first bullet out of the clean bore. I’ve noticed, without the tape, first shot on clean bore almost always hits lower. Not enough resistance to build the same pressure as numbers 2-4

Excellant results sdporter !!! With my White powerpunch conicals i got with my gun i get the best results either your way or swab and use teflon tape like an X with bullet in center and pull the tape up the 4 sides of the bullet and sqeeze in on with my fingers so it sticks to the lube . Doesnt shoot quite as good as my knurled jobs but still really good .
But, does that first shot land in with the next couple?? Mine are pretty dang close.

But, does that first shot land in with the next couple?? Mine are pretty dang close.
Not too bad actually . But if i swab and load all of them with the tape its noticeably better . IF i take the time to knurl them oversize .0015+ its better too . I like them both knurled or taped . They also stay put either way .

:roll: I couldn’t let it go to waste, i have caught 15 of these things in my Yard! We just smelled 1 the other night, So they are Starting to Come out again Now for Spring/Summer. I’ll send ya some Bullet Lube to Try :lewis: I will Start Trapping again soon.

Lewis, I stand in awe of your fieldcraft skills and sense of ecological economy!
First, I'm printing out your process in color, including your pictorial guide, to keep as a "doomsday/SHTF" backup in case I ever run out of SPG.
Second, I'm going to stock up now, and make sure I NEVER run out of SPG...

Lewis, I stand in awe of your fieldcraft skills and sense of ecological economy!
First, I'm printing out your process in color, including your pictorial guide, to keep as a "doomsday/SHTF" backup in case I ever run out of SPG.
Second, I'm going to stock up now, and make sure I NEVER run out of SPG...

:roll:

Ignorance is usually bliss, but I gotta ask cause I’m ignorant. What is BLL? I’ve seen it referenced a few times.
I'm glad ya asked.... I was just gettin ready to type in my question ( same one as yours ) but I thought I'd read on abit & see if it's been asked already. I can't be the only clown in the class that doesn't know what BLL is.... Or can I..... Lol kind regards

Personally thats what i like about BLL . With how i got things set up its perfect . Thin IS the answer !!! Lewis taught me that . Just cant beat his hands on advice !!!!! He dont need a scope to see Mars with either to prove it !!!!! :eek: :lewis:

Last edited:
:think: But if you're shooting in warmer weather it will be way to thin and just turn back into more of a liquidly substance and that's not going to work correctly right? :think:

:think: But if you're shooting in warmer weather it will be way to thin and just turn back into more of a liquidly substance and that's not going to work correctly right? :think:
So how would you fix that knightnut2000 ?? :think: proud of you by the way for "thinkin".....

I would think that you would have to make two different lubes. One stiffer / thicker for warmer weather and the thinner one for colder shooting now that is if you are using a more traditional lube. Or just shoot PRB in the warmer weather I guess.

I would think that you would have to make two different lubes. One stiffer / thicker for warmer weather and the thinner one for colder shooting now that is if you are using a more traditional lube. Or just shoot PRB in the warmer weather I guess.
Not bad !!! :bravo: see , You figured some out !!! Thinkin is GOOD !!! And you'll think of more too !!! NEVER be afraid to think on your own . Never . Advice is really great but dont think you wont be able to find right answers by yourself . We are here if needed or wanted too . Sometimes the things we come up with may need improvement but thats how we learn . Keep your eyes open , pay attention to what is happening and just think about it . The right answers will find a way to you somehow somewhere . Ya did good !!! :)
Believe in you . I just did !!!
Progress happens cuz somebody thought for themselves . Remember that .......also expect persecution for it . :rolleyes: Besides who cares what is said when its FABULOUS !!!! :lewis:

Last edited:
Not bad !!! :bravo: see , You figured some out !!! Thinkin is GOOD !!! And you'll think of more too !!! NEVER be afraid to think on your own . Never . Advice is really great but dont think you wont be able to find right answers by yourself . We are here if needed or wanted too . Sometimes the things we come up with may need improvement but thats how we learn . Keep your eyes open , pay attention to what is happening and just think about it . The right answers will find a way to you somehow somewhere . Ya did good !!! :)
Believe in you . I just did !!!
Progress happens cuz somebody thought for themselves . Remember that .......also expect persecution for it . :rolleyes: Besides who cares what is said when its FABULOUS !!!! :lewis:
Yup, in the 50/50 mix, that's your starting point. The Crisco is the lubricant, the beeswax us the binder. Just add more beeswax when it's hot or more Crisco when it's cold.

Here are 2 of my Favorite Lubes, For the last year or so, i have used these 2 Lubes Exclusively in my Rifles. I have proven them OVER & OVER.

I have made Lube from all sorts of things over the last few years, some worked great, and some not so Much. The most important part is being Consistent, When you find something that works, or you make something that works, it’s EXTREMELY important to be able to Duplicate it each & every time you make it. For me, i found it easier to go with a Good Reputable Lube that i could easily Buy, and then Tweak it to my liking (I like a thinner Lube) I chose SPG, and Bullshop’s NASA as my Foundations, they are both easy to obtain, and they are Consistent from Batch to Batch

1st is my Twist on Bullshop‘s NASA. This is to 1 Full Pound of NASA Lube, Just the way it comes from Bullshop. In a Double Boiler setup, or a Make shift one. Melt the 1 pound of NASA Lube, Then ad 2 of the little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra Synthetic 2 Stroke Engine Oil (These are the 2.6 FL OZ Bottles, For making 1 Gallon of Mixed Fuel) Stir the Stihl HP Ultra in REALLY Good, Set aside and let cool. Simple as that

This is how my NASA Lube arrived from Bullshop
Ma7qTMI.jpg

This is the Stihl HP Ultra Full Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil i use. This stuff works INCREDIBLE at Combatting Bore Leading. It will STOP, or at Least GREATLY Reduce Leading. In my Polished Bores i get ZERO Leading
WcGGR2U.jpg

And 2nd is my Tweak of Regular SPG Lube. This is for a 1/2 Pound Block of SPG Lube. Melt the SPG in a Double Boiler setup, or a Make Shift one. Ad 1 Bottle of Stihl HP Ultra, and 1 Stick of Lyman Alox Lube, Mix thoroughly, Set aside to Cool. Simple as that

I use the Regular SPG formula on the Right, The one on the left is called Tropical, it is a Much thicker Lube for High temperatures, I would avoid this one. Regular SPG is already to Thick for my Liking
MUTxfQS.jpg

Here is the Lyman Alox, it comes in a Stick for use in Lubesizers, This stuff greatly reduces Bore Leading
qqs3FvC.jpg

When i say Double Boiler setup, or Make shift one, this is what i use. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT That you use a Double Boiler Setup, You can EASILY Scorch the Lube on Direct Heat. I simply place Jar Ringers inside an Old Designated Pot, Ad water til it just covers the Ringers
zPOxIqK.jpg

Now ad your Lube Pan, It will sit on the Jar Ringer Lids. I use Medium heat, maybe a little more, Just under a Boil of the Water
nIxboBY.jpg

Back