Lubed Wads for In-Lines MLs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Knight Original DISC and have worked up a few loads for it with some Power Belts and some TC Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunter all with decent accuracy. I have yet to take any game with this rifle, but I love shooting it. I have a solid (lifetime) supply of orange discs and as I was cleaning the rifle last weekend, I wondered if a lubed wad over the powder might help or hinder.

Here in Colorado we can't hunt during the ML seasons with scopes, sabots, or pellet powders, so while I can fun shoot anything I want, during the ML season I have to play by the rules. I know the TC bullets don't need a wad and they are already lubed...would a wad over the powder do anything good? or anything bad?

As I said, I am not having any troubles, and I do get fine results with the Maxi-Hunters, I was just wondering what might could be?

An over powder wad never hurts anything. It protects the base of the bullet, it also prevents leading by separating the flame from the lead. :lewis:
Not to forget, providing a gas seal, and helping the bullet to obturate faster.

Last edited:
Back