Lubing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of lube are you using? I'm a 45/70 shooter, and usually I use 1 part of beeswax + 1 part of lard. Recently I added a 20% of olive oil to make it more resistant to the oxidation.

Last edited:
What kind of lube are you using? I'm a 45/70 shooter, and usually I use 1 part of beeswax + 1 part of lard. Recently I added a 20% of olive oil to make it more resistant to the oxidation.
I bet the NASA lube (modified) that Idaholewis gave his (secret) recipe for which you can find mentioned might just work great ! Most everything he mentions does/Ed

I see that lubing a muzzleloader bullet is different than lubing a BPCR bullet, the lube in the first case is much more thinner.

I see that lubing a muzzleloader bullet is different than lubing a BPCR bullet, the lube in the first case is much more thinner.
My bullet only goes .070 in the case (1874 C Sharps) since sold , it is able to rotate/or remove easily for target use . MY long range setup (TC RENEGADE) gets the same lube /same bullet/same everything (EXCEPT) it loads from the front and there"s no brass involved /Ed

I have 2 Pedersoli Sharps 45/70 and 3 muzzleloader rifles, I was using the same lube for both, but using a thinner lube for the muzzleloader rifles improves the accuracy. The thinner lube I'm using now is a mysterious and secret recipe made by a my friend, I think it is made with mineral oil, beeswax and a sort of lithium soap based grease.

Latest posts

Back