Luck? Faith?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
You'll never believe this....................... 🤪

Hunting from the blind this morning and a buck shows. He's looking at the blind and I can barely see him, or much of him. Just a small hole showed his chest through the brush/trees.
I figured he'd do like the other day and take off, so I tried to slide one through the opening.

Well I cut it a little too close????

Hole in tree 2.jpg

The 350gr XLD with 120grs VOLUME of BH killed a tree...................

All the way through 2.jpg

I killed the tree but..............................................................

The buck was confused on where the shot came from and made 1 jump sideways and stood there looking. I loaded DUNAMIS back up and it was still standing there. This time he presented a good shot. BANG!

That 350gr XLD knocked him end over end hitting him at just a slight angle in the chest.

I can't believe the luck I had this morning. I will say this though...... How it popped into my head I have no clue but, I started humming the song, THE ONLY SCARS IN HEAVEN, and the next thing I know, he shows.
About 75yds. 8pt. 3 on the right, 5 on left.

8pt 2.jpg

Last edited:
😂that’s great congrats!! Good for you!

I think there is something to it that hitting that tree confused the buck. My sons buck a couple weeks ago we had no idea where his first shot went but he just stood there and let him shoot again. Sunday we were back out there checking the camera and found that he hit a tree also on that first shot.

That’s a nice buck. Now maybe it was a touch of da ‘buck fever’ that prevented you from ensuring a clear shot to the vitals?

Yes, if a deer just hops a bit then stands for a while, usually not hit. It’s wondering what just happened. It’s easier to get that follow up shot with a centerfire, BTDT.

That’s a nice buck. Now maybe it was a touch of da ‘buck fever’ that prevented you from ensuring a clear shot to the vitals?

Yes, if a deer just hops a bit then stands for a while, usually not hit. It’s wondering what just happened. It’s easier to get that follow up shot with a centerfire, BTDT.
After over 400 whitetails in both the U.S. and Canada, I don't believe there was a touch of the "fever".

I guess I could use the excuse that it was a SPOTLESS CLEAN barrel and the cold bore shot, which it was? LOL Ship happens sometimes. :)
Actually and honestly, its the second time a tree has stopped a bullet from the south side of that blind. Had one take a 30-06 bullet from my dad's rifle. I wanted to hunt with it at least once, so about 10-12yrs ago I did. A buck lived another day............. LOL

Rather than luck, I'm going to call it Providence.
I've heard the song before, but didn't pay attention to the words. Just now listened to it on YouTube - what a beautiful song - it brought tears to my eyes. After all that you and your wife have been through, it's got to be especially meaningful (the song, the grand buck, and the circumstances surrounding the taking of him).
"Now unto Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think...."
Surely, this is all going to make for an especially good Thanksgiving!
Many congrats!

Back